3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How long do you give a stand before moving?  (Read 608 times)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
How long do you give a stand before moving?
« on: August 28, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
I hunt public land. And always struggle with how long to give a particluar spot before giving up on it.  (The reason I mention about public is I have no way of knowing if someone screwd me up or cut me off somewhere, was hunting it the day i wasnt. Or wether a guy was in there blasting squirrels the evening before stinkin up the place.) obviously if its all tore up I'm going to give it a go until it dries up or the deer tell me otherwise. But say you find a area with some sign.. not hard, heavy sign but its there, this is the case most public areas cause I find very few beaten paths or heavy scraping or rubbing or tore up feeding areas.  You find your hide or tree and do all things nessesary, how many times will you hunt it without seeing deer until you figure they either left the area or you got screwed up somehow??
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How long do you give a stand before moving?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 12:18:00 PM »
If I find a very promising spot with all the sign I am looking for, then I will continue to hunt it throughout the season or until the sign level decreases.  I may hunt it with different time patterns, but will never hunt it more than 2 -3 times in a row.  Eventually, I will hit it right when the deer are more than likely to use it in the daytime hours when I am there.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline Tony Z

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
Sounds like you have some solid ideas already. Ill try a few morning sits and a few afternoon sits if I'm not sure when the deer are using the area. If the sign was promising but I had no success ill move on but check back late season. A lot of guys quit by then and whatever drew the deer in early season may bring them back when the pressure is off. Good luck. TonyZ.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 01:32:00 PM »
Don't forget too guys. I'm not talking a funnel... As Tony Z pointed out. Going back later in the season can prove itself. But I have only personally found this true in funnel type areas. And these are the areas to find and concentrate on during the seeking phase of he rut. ESP if you do find does there also.

Carry on...    :campfire:
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
I hunt very similar situations as you. public land with lots of pressure. what works best for me is to hunt funnels and topography and pick trees in those areas based on wind direction. I actually bring the stand up and down the tree each time i sit a spot.  a good way i found to beat pressure is to either hunt deep 1/2 mile or farther in. or hunt super shallow. I have killed alot of deer with in 30 yards or road, powerline, 2 track etc. since most hunters go into the woods and hunt someweher between 50-100 yards from a road or powerline, etc. alot of deer will use the thck brush choked edges as low pressure travel routes.
  As long as the sign remains strong and most importantly the COVER is thick I will continue hunting a spot off and on thru the season. If the cover thins with falling leaves and it opens up too much i know the deer sign is most likely only made at night.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 03:56:00 PM »
I'm in the same boat.  I haven't figured it out, so ttt.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
A couple years ago I put in 80+ hours in an area(3 stands) on public land with awesome sign. I finally decided enough was enough and started moving around with my climber. First day after moving I was on deer and shot deer the 2nd and 5th day. I really don't know why I stayed so long.

Now I hunt the ground and bounce around free from the restrictions of a tree and a lot less likely to hunt an unproductive spot very long.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »
About 35 minutes!!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 05:32:00 PM »
On hard hunted public land if I find fresh sign I hunt it that afternoon and next morning and continue until I don't see deer. That may be two half day hunts.

Hunting buck sign on public land you never know when you're hunting a dead buck. There's a good chance I might be hunting about 2 of them this year.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
Keep scouting until you find a( patternable )situation or an area or trail from food to bed then keep alternating hunts at these sites.Develop a good scent control program and when you find FRESH SIGN hunt it, don't wait.Unless it's a really hot spot, I don't hunt the same stand twice before hunting a different area and different group of deer.

The scent you leave today will be the buck you miss tomorrow!
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
Despite good "sign", many locations get burned out for daylight deer activity. Sure, there can be lots of tracks, rubs and scrapes, but if an area is pounded with human activity and scent, most will likely be from after dark.

While our camp log book data is for private land, it's bordered by public on both sides, so there's significant human pressure. My property is in a region with some of the most intense deer hunting pressure in the entire USA.

That said, over the past 40 years it's remarkable how many kills came from the very first time a stand was hunted.

What else is remarkable is, despite a location having lots of kills over the years, deer sightings crashed at those same locations, no matter how seemingly great they are/were, after a stand has been hunted 4-5 times in a season.

Of course, with public land, one has zero control of others hunting an area.

My suggestion is, if you have no access to private land and only hunt public, look for public parcels that were clearcut within the past 10 years or are marshy, with no good treestand spots. This will eliminate most compound bowhunters, who primarily hunt only from treestands. From there, hunt the ground and get ready!

Offline T Mowery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »
I let the deer dictate when and where I move my climbing stand.I would like to think that I pick the best spot for activity on their travels,but sometimes im off a little on placement,or they are off their routes.Seems im always playing chess with them

I seem to key in on the faintest trails,that flank a known doe travel route.
I think food is important and if you don't know how to cook, it's tragic." Julia Child

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
Usually, when I had to come down to pee.  I tend to hit my boots when I try it off the stand. someone stole my hand climber off my widow maker so I no longer have that problem.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
I've been bowhunting for 35 years, I'm part of a property that has been bowhunted since the first years of legal Michigan bowhunting and the property has accounted for many 100's of bow killed deer over the decades.
I was in the sporting goods business for some 15 years and I don't much care for most "outdoor celebrity" types. Most are huckers trying to brand themselves.

But with that said, one of the few industry people that really helps some bowhunters is John Eberhart. While many "expert" bowhunters already employ what he suggests, many with less than expert status can learn a lot from his books.

I understand that many people take up bowhunting, and particularly traditional bowhunting for a certain aesthetic and spiritual attitude that most firearms hunting doesn't offer. So many bowhunters enjoy the nature, the time with family, the quiet, etc and a deer is just a bonus. Many don't have killing a deer as the main priority.
And that's cool, if that's your thing.
But I'm a "killer". LOL I'm very serious when it comes to the hunt. I'm working on stands and habitat improvement, year round. I just prefer to do my bow kills with traditional bows, because compounds are simply too easy to kill deer with.

So, if you're one who is far more interested in blood trailing after dark, than sitting by the campfire telling old stories, I suggest you get this book...

Bowhunting Pressured Whitetails: Expert Techniques for Taking Big, Wary Bucks
 http://www.amazon.com/Bowhunting-Pressured-Whitetails-Expert-Techniques/dp/0811728196

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
I know you want to know about non-funnel areas, but I've never had any luck trying to hunt food sources or scrapes on public land.  Where I am I have large unbroken areas of woods interspersed with low swampy area and bogs.  They can pretty much feed anywhere but have to travel along certain corridors to avoid the sloughs.  

I don't think I've ever had a good shot opportunity at a buck hunting a non-funnel area.  I try to pick a pinch point between two sloughs or even just an edge along a big slough with some kind of terrain or blow down to focus their movements.

For me on the public land I hunt it's purely travel that I key on.  I will abandon a spot after a few mornings or evenings of no action under the assumption that the travel sign I'm seeing is all after dark.  You just never know with a good funnel though, sometimes it takes a lot of patience.

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
Good thread guys, I know I didn't start this one but I'm learning a lot from it thanks.
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
Hunting public land can be very difficult to say the least. My success hunting public lands only comes after I learn the patterns of the other hunters. Such as known parking areas and easy access to the land. I find most people take the path of least resistance when hunting. After I figure out the other hunters patterns, I start figuring a strategy to use the other hunters to my advantage in relation to pushing deer towards me. I try to find the deer escape routes to thicker cover. I try to approach my stand with as little impact as possible and sometimes that requires a canoe or boat to get to these places. Mobility is the key so a climbing stand is a must for me when hunting public lands. I hunt those stands all day too. That's because most activity on public land in my parts are between the hours of 9am to 3pm. And I found out when hunting public land, deer are not always where the deer sign is, they are where hunters don't want to put in the time or effort to go. The best of luck!!

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rick Richard:
If I find a very promising spot with all the sign I am looking for, then I will continue to hunt it throughout the season or until the sign level decreases.  I may hunt it with different time patterns, but will never hunt it more than 2 -3 times in a row.  Eventually, I will hit it right when the deer are more than likely to use it in the daytime hours when I am there.
Rick I agree.  Especially when the rut kicks in, you never know what will come by and what.
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Offline Huntingnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
On public land, I'll give a spot a morning and evening, then I'm off to another spot if I haven't seen deer activity. I used to stick it out at a given spot, but my success has went way up since I've started moving around. It helps when you have access to tens of thousands of acres and have a good working knowledge of several hundred acres.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©