3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting boots for the mountains?  (Read 439 times)

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hunting boots for the mountains?
« on: August 28, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »
What do you recommend in a good boot for the mountains? I am only looking at boots with 8" uppers or more. Anything less I consider a hiking boot that I do not want. I have an ankle that has been sprained badly several times over the years and want good support.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting boots for the mountains?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »
Do you mean boot for mountains or Mountains (capital M)?

What are you hunting? Sheep? Goats?

I don't think i've ever seen a solid shank mountaineering boot with a +8" upper.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
I'm talking about mainly hunting boots for Colorado, Montana. I'm not looking for a mountaineering boot. Something like Danners or Meindls.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
I too have had ankle issues my whole life, I have opted out of surgery several times.    I have used vasques 4 out of four times for mt goat and use for most S and S hunts in rough terrain.  I love those boots and have had no ankle issues with them on. A couple points that really help I were expedition Merino sock that fit in the boots tight, as the day(s) go on the sock can take the pounding and my feet/ankles, stay good.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »
Ok.
So, do you have a high volume or a low volume foot?
Narrow heel or wide heel?

European made boots tend to have narrower heel and lower volume foot fits than North American made boots.

Properly fitted boots do not need to be +8" inches for excellent ankle support. Get well fitted boots and learn the appropriate lacing techniques to use them properly in rugged terrain.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline Tim Nuss

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 10:40:00 PM »
I would recommend "Kenetrek".
They have a line of boots called the "Mountain Extremes and the Mountain Guides" Both lines of boots are 10" tall.
For me I like the Kenetrek Hardscrabble Hiker. It is one of the very best pair of boots I have ever had. They are 7" tall.
They are good people to deal with and great customer service.

Tim
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of Illinois
Compton Member

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »
Danner pronghorns for the last 6years.  Boots are like eye glass frames, personal to the max.  I wore boots my entire military career, and the Pronghorns seem to be the best of many varibiles for me.  My son and I covered a lot of verticle deer hu ting last week
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Mojo Rising

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »
+1 for Kenetrek.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Morrison ILF

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 11:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Daz:
Ok.
So, do you have a high volume or a low volume foot?
Narrow heel or wide heel?

European made boots tend to have narrower heel and lower volume foot fits than North American made boots.

Properly fitted boots do not need to be +8" inches for excellent ankle support. Get well fitted boots and learn the appropriate lacing techniques to use them properly in rugged terrain.
x2, I wore Danners for several years, my feet swam in them, bought a set of Kayland's (Italian made) and went from being so fatigued at end of day that I didn't believe if I had gotten an elk that I would be able to go back up to pack some of it out to feeling strong and able at end of day. If you have normal feet, then there are a ton of good choices out there, ones mentioned are some good ones for sure!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 12:19:00 AM »
im using the Lathrop and sons boots and I love them.  that being said, I think any of the high end boot would be a good choice.  I know its one of the best investments ive ever made.
is it September yet??

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 12:35:00 AM »
Kenetrek Hardscrabble is outstanding. I have the old "Light" model, but they made the regular Hardscrabble lighter and eliminated the "Light" version. The only thing I don't like about Kenetreks is the hard plastic lace keeper on the tongue that hurts my low instep feet. The "Light" version doesn't have that plastic keeper and feels great on my feet.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 12:53:00 AM »
White's Smoke Jumpers.  They are out of Spokane, Washington and I've been wearing them for over 40 years and they are as good as they claim and perhaps a bit better.  Can be rebuilt when the time comes.  They are worth every penny paid.

Offline BAPilot2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 03:25:00 AM »
I'll throw in my 2 cents worth...

For the past 5 years I have been wearing a pair of Zamberlan 631 Civetta GT RR boots.  They are the best boots I have ever worn for all outdoor activities!  I have worn them for mountain hunting, backpacking, and upland hunting in Alaska, Colorado, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming.  They provide excellent foot and ankle support on all types of terrain.  If you want a taller boot then take a look at the Zamberlan 1012 Vioz Boot.  It looks like it would be outstanding as well.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 06:54:00 AM »
Kenetrek Mountain Extremes for me, however I have not tried some of the others mentioned.

I guess I was fortunate enough to not need to try any of the others since the Kenetreks meet all of my requirements...comfort, durable, waterproof and etc..

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 06:59:00 AM »
Daz
What are these lacing techniques you speak of??
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 07:09:00 AM »
I've got a GREAT pair of Cabela's Outfitters in the classifieds for a bargain basement price.     :goldtooth:

They are actually very good boots. The Outfitters are built on a Danner design. These are 11" tall with 1000gr Thinsulate insulation.
Romans 8:28

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 07:30:00 AM »
For rough terrain I like my USMC issued Danner RAT (Rugged All Terrain) boots.  Tough as nails and darn near broke in right out of the box.  All though mine were courtesy of the Marine Corps, you can get them through Danner.  Lost Arra showed me a link called the Breakroom, where they sometimes go on sale.

Tom

Offline twistedlim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 07:57:00 AM »
I must premise this by noting the I have tender feet.  I tried a number of boots and settled on LL Bean Cresta Hikers (all leather..wide).  I have had these boots for 10 years.  They have covered thousands of miles through rainforests and the Rockies.  Hunting. backpacking, hiking..everything.  Last year in Colorado we had to cross a few streams and even walk down some.  The boots are still waterproof!  They are like old friends to me.  The boots offer good support, weight is reasonalbe and they last.  I rarely have any hot spot issue even walking side hills in the Rockies.  The only downside is that since I have purchase them I have gotten a bit heavier and older and my feet have flattened out so I am going to get a half size larger.  Occasionally I may put some leather conditioner on them if I think of it and I have had to replace the laces 5-10 times but that is all the upkeep.

Offline DayTripper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 09:23:00 AM »
Check out La Sportiva. Great ankle support and as light as a feather. These boots are designed for mountaineering and heavy load specifically. I love mine.

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »
Another suggestion are the Italian made Crispi boots. They have a hunting line of boots with high tops for extreme ankle support.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©