3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting boots for the mountains?  (Read 438 times)

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting boots for the mountains?
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
Crispi are the prefered boots for the ones that hunt the steepy Alps.
Here you have to load the whole animal and you can't make quarters,a very dependable boot is mandatory..
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »
I have used everthing from tennis shoes to mountaineering boots.  All had pros and cons.  I have settled on as light weight of a boot as I can get awwy with that is waterproof.  If the terrain is rockier I use a stiffer pair of Vasque (made in Italy) model.  If the area is not as rock I have settled on a pair of mid height boots I got from LL Bean.  I'm no longer a fan of very high boots.  Doctor I know said the reduced mobility you get with them outweigts any support value for the ankle.
T ZZZZ

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »
Great info from you guys  I have some research ahead of me. Thanks
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
I used my Wolverine work boots to walk in to our camp site at 9000' in the San Juan Mountains of SW Coloado and switched to LL Bean Maine Hunting Boots(12")for he hunt. This wasin the early season(end of Aug, first week of Sept)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
Boots are a very personal piece of gear.  If you're hard to fit, I would suggest you either spend a good amount of time at a reputable outdoor gear store ( REI comes to mind) trying on lots of different models or contact HanWag Boots (Lathrop and Sons) and have a custom pair made for your feet.  Just FYI, Lowa Sheephunters are the mountain hunting boot standard, BUT, there are lots of other options out there these days.

Offline Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
Daz
What are these lacing techniques you speak of??
RS, ladder locking and other techniques are tough to explain. Just Google "hiking boot lacing techniques" and there will be a bunch of vids and how-to's.

In essence, it is using the lacing systems to customize fit for pressure points on top strap and instep of foot to stabilize ankles and prevent toe bump (handy for boots that aren't perfect fit).

Remember that your foot will change volume as the day progresses, and socks will shift as well. Stopping at least once a day to re-lace and adjust makes a huge difference when spending hours grinding out vertical.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
Thank you. I will check it out.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
My personal opinion is to go to the nearest big box sporting goods store such as Gander Mountain, Cabela's etc and try on as many as you see fit.  

For general Colorado hunting, I actually wouldn't even recommend a tall boot, but a well fit set of hikers. I have no experience in Montana.  

Where I have hunted and hiked in Colorado a very aggressive sole is not needed, although a mild sole like the Bean boot was not good for me either.  A softer soled hiker is what I chose most recently.  That boot cried out to me as soon as I put it on.  Take me  Take me.

I think that is more important than all the rest.
For . . ME. . a very lightly insulated (or none) boot is better than a heavily insulated boot as I tend to get too hot and sweat easily.

Just my opinion.
ChuckC

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
X2 on the White Jumpers. Mine are 22 years old and still going strong. Rebuildable and they are like new when they come back. With that old boot fit. I like Zanderlan also.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
Try the HAIX Montana which is 11.5" high.
Too high for me, I like to stay at or under 8".
I currently wear Haix Nebraskas and break them in for Colorado elk in two weeks.....

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
I have mendls, but went with one that had a more flexable sole- I found that the stiff soled boots of any high end make to be so stiff that you cannot get much feedback from the ground, ie crappy for stalking and walking trees etc.

Anyway, I found unless I am in rock a lot, the stiffer soled models are not necessary, but with a weak ankle I would opt for the stiff soled boots.
 Stiff meaning torsionally stiff- the soles will not twist on a side slope. Very important in a boot.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
I agree with Joshua. I've run Lowas,Meindels, Kennetrek Sheep Hunters in some very rugged mountains hunting sheep. I've also hunted sheep up in the Yukon and mountain lion in some nasty stuff in Montana in my Schnee Hunters.  I am not so sure I will not have the Schnees on my feet when I draw my mountain goat tag. They really do everything well!

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2013, 11:32:00 AM »
Nothing wrong with the Schnee line of boots, but some are manufactured by someone else for them.
It all comes down to preference about stiffness and height of the shaft. Also the form of the last is important.
HAIX is stiffer than LOWA and MEINDL in the sole.
HAIX is also slightly higher in the shaft with the lower 8" boots, where LOWA and MEINDL is more 7.25". HAIX is as close as the LOWAS when it comes to last size and form.
HAIX is the manufacturer of the German Army Light Mountain Boot. Before HAIX, it was LOWA and MEINDL. LOWA and MEINDL need about zero break-in.
I wore these light Mountain Boots for the last 18 years nearly daily. The Leather is softer. The HAIX need a very short break in before Leather softens and conforms to your feet. I wear them for one week now and at a 2 day 3D-shoot and they are almost broken in.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2013, 12:57:00 PM »
You really need to just try boots out for yourself.  Everyones feet are different.  Lots of people swear by danners, but the pair i had really crippled me.  I'm sure danners are good boots, but they sure didn't work for me.  I've had red wings, la sportiva, and asolo.that were all great, but even within brands, some models will and some won't work for you.  Imo the internet is a terrible place to pick a pair of boots.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©