3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: getting permission  (Read 310 times)

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
getting permission
« on: August 28, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
I'd like to hear some successful strategies for getting permission to hunt private land.  I'm not talking about the neighbor, or a friend of a friend.  I'm talking about someone, even a company, that you looked up in public land records.   :campfire:

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: getting permission
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
Well I know I'm cheating, but I like to be in uniform, LOL.

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
The most successful strategy I have had is just asking.  It can be very intimidating, but just pulling in the driveway is half the battle.  I always dress decent. Jeans and a nice shirt.  When I knock on the door. I then step away and off the porch as not to seem intimidating.  I will introduce myself and just ask permission.  If they say yes.  I tell them what I am driving and ask where to park and let them know I may be in before dark.  If they say no I thank them for there time and move on.  I will say be careful in timing when you ask.  Most times you may be asking a farmer.  Do not bother them when they are busy planting or harvesting.  Try to find down time to see them. I am very seldom told no.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
I seldom hunt private land anymore but a few yeasr ago it was all i hunted and what worked 9 out of 10 times for me was a statement like this.
" I would love to bow hunt your property if you'd be willing to let me. Im also not afraid of hard work if you need a hand around here with anything. I dont belive in freebees and will be honored to give a few hours help in return as well as my phone number incase of a situation where you need another set of hands".
 You have to keep up on your end of the deal and during those "helping times" your conversations will usually be about where the deer are, where you should hunt, big bucks he saw, etc.  It solidifies relationships taht last much longer than just asking permission. that relationship will usually yield baskets of veggies from thier garden, and other acts of appreciation.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 10:21:00 PM »
I spent a great afternoon with a lady in her eighties about three years ago just talking and drinking coffee when I should have been hunting...she just seemed like she needed some company...I never did ask her for permission to hunt on her land and maybe I never will...sometimes you just have to do the right thing for the moment...I am great believer that karma will help you when you need it

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 08:56:00 AM »
Ok, to clarify, the vast majority of undeveloped land in central and south FL is owned by companies or individuals who don't live in the area, let alone on the property, so knocking on doors isn't really an option.  Has anyone had any luck with phone calls or letters in this kind of situation?

Offline Wolfshead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 09:17:00 AM »
I have put together a letter

Dear Landowner,                                 Date                                              

My name is
I live in ...
I have lived in this area for the last 5 years.

I am an avid, ethical, bowhunter seeking permission (for me only) to bowhunt (only) on your property this year, the fall of 2013.

I am committed to conservation, fair chase hunting and Landowner rights. I, of course, would respect any wishes that you might have regarding where you prefer me to hunt and during which times, as well as any other requests you might have.

I will stop by on Monday, July 1st around 7 pm to discuss my request an any issues that you may have concerns about.
If that is not convenient, or you do not wish to grant me permission, please feel free to contact me at (phone#)and if I do not answer, please leave a message. Or you could email me at (email address) if it is more convenient.

Thank you for your time,
I look forward to speaking with you and hope to meet you in the near future!

Sincerely,

I got the idea from a book and just re-worded it to fit my situation.
It has been good for me.
I noticed some deer in a field on an old farm, swung by and dropped a copy in the mailbox.
I did not receive a call so I stopped by at the time suggested and met a very nice older gentleman. We a a great conversation and he told me that he had someone hunting there already but if they stopped hunting there he would contact me.
I also emailed a copy to a neighboring business but they hunt their own land and I was respectfully denied.
I will use it a lot more next spring and earlier as I feel I got some good results from it.
Hope this helps
Bama Expediton Hunter Hybrid Longbow
58", 52# @ 27"
Bama Hunter Longbow
64", 45# @ 27"
"You only need sit still long enough, in some attractive spot in the woods, that all it's inhabitants may exhibit themselves to you by turns"
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
Another way to connect with country folks as Wolfshead did,  is if you are a Christian and feel comfortable in your faith, then just simply state that in your letter as well. It might not work as well for the comercial land, but I received permission to hunt multiple tracks of land from multiple land owners over the years totalling thousands of acres by doing that. In reaching out to a farmer or a land-owner with a common belief, it goes a long way to instill the trust they may be looking for or are apprehensive about. I still have access to much of the lands, even as leasing has taken over our state. Mike

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 10:45:00 AM »
I agree with Herdbull.  I have a form letter made up that states what they can expect from me and lets them tell me what they would like.  In my case I promise to "never" use any type of motor vehicle on their property.  That one statement has gotten me as much permission as stating my Faith.  Most landowners believe that hunting means 4 wheelers.  I have literally hundreds of acres available to hunt on.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 10:54:00 AM »
I have letter all setup with locations, name of landowner (can be filled in) phone number, time period, etc. and try to talk and present this in person. I also always mention I will be bow hunting and that it is with tradition equipment, If I have a chance I show my bow and equipment to them, seems to help.  On quite a few occasions, they landowner sees my traditional equipment and laughs and gives me permission. Go figure......

I also have found asking them and trying to understand their land and operations allows them to show their pride and builds a huge amount of report and use this to my advantage, throwing in an offer to help never hurts.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
I just came back from lunch and the funniest thing happened.  While my son & I were eating in a local café a man came up & asked if I remembered him.  I did because he had given me permission to hunt his property after reading my letter to his wife.  They own 300 acres of prime farm land and won't even allow the farmers who lease their property for planting to hunt on it!

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 04:22:00 PM »
Yes, once you get your foot in the door, you will find much needed effort to keep the relationship with land-owners going. For one farmer I help him casterate calves, and bale hey. For another I give books and DVDs, for yet another 85 year old guy, I usually have to stay up late and talk and watch TV with him on Friday night. I may be tired getting up in the morning but at leased I have a place to hunt. Ha!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 04:33:00 PM »
Paper Companies can be a great source of hunting land. I have several friends who have written them asking permission and telling them in the letter that they will keep an eye on the property,post it and make sure it remains clean from trash and such. I also found out that taking a ride, even if quite a ways to actually speak to the owner in person goes a long ways. I did that in Ohio last year and was amazed at how receptive most people were to me when I asked about bowhunting and only bowhunting. I would say 7 out of 10 gave me permission. I really believe if you dress nice, speak well and are respectful and make sure they know you will respect any and all rules they have, you have a good chance of getting permission unless it is hunted hard by someone or a group already. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
Another thing to remember is landowners worry about liability. In NY hunting is an assumed risk and if you are injured while hunting or participating in an activity related to it, hanging stands, cutting trails, etc. you may not sue the landowner. I may not bring it up unless they do, than explain that to them and if they are that concerned you will sign something relieving them of any and all responsibility. Shawn
Shawn

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
Two years ago a friend of mine decided to put in for a zone he was not familiar with. When he received a permit he was shocked to find he had put in for the wrong zone. With nothing to lose he and another friend he was hunting with drove out to the zone and started driving around on the first day of deer season.

He ran into and old guy on the road who stopped to say "Hi".  The old guy asked what they were doing and he told him "trying to find a place to deer hunt". The old guy said "well, I don't have any huntable land but you should go ask Jim down the road". He did and the guy said "yes, I guess that would be all right".

When he asked where they could hunt the guy said right across the road. What about boundaries? He said just be sure to close the gates behind you, and you can hunt the whole two sections.

So my short answer just get out there and ask politely. We do remember to stop by on the last day with a card and everybody throws in $20, just to say thanks.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
I never need it for elk.  However, for coyotes I did.  I'll never forget the place that everyone wanted acces but noone thought they could get.  Turns out is was an old lady who just needed to be asked.  I had 50,000 acres to myself for a long time!
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 07:56:00 AM »
Thanks for the input, guys.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©