3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: JUST CURIOUS ABOUT TRAD HUNTERS  (Read 457 times)

Offline Mike Tomano

• Trad Bowhunter
JUST CURIOUS ABOUT TRAD HUNTERS
« on: August 29, 2013, 12:02:00 AM »
Hi, my name is Mike. I've been a longtime member of tradgang.com. I post very rarely, but visit on a regular basis. I love the camaraderie, spirit and dedication to The Great Outdoors that I find here. I also lurk daily in the classifieds looking for great deals! That said, I want to take a bit of a poll regarding trad hunters. Lately, I've been a bit put-off by some of the bias against styles of hunting, crossbow and compound users, and ATV use by a well-known traditional archery magazine. One of their writers, in particular, has an almost apologetic lean toward hunting within a quota of self-imposed "ethics" he preaches as absolute. As an avid traditional archer and hunter, media member and political activist, I find this divisiveness to be just what the animal-rights fringe thrive on. I'm curious as to whether or not hunting with dogs, on private enclosures, using a compound or crossbow, using bait, food plots, etc. are really issues the Traditional Collective is against, or if it just the slant of that magazine. I, though a recurve shooter primarily, have participated in all of the above. For me, I see them as different types of adventures, equipment use and types of hunting methods and opportunities. Please weight in. Best, MT
"If you're not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." - Fred Bear

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: JUST CURIOUS ABOUT TRAD HUNTERS
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 12:18:00 AM »
for sure some tend to be pretty opinionated.  ive certainly read things that, while I may not necessarily agree with, I know many others that do.  take the atv part for instance.  where I hunt, we only see them on the road (or at least thankfully that's all ive seen) so some of the atv stuff doesn't necessarily hit home to me.  however, talking with friends of mine in other states (particularly Colorado), they are a much bigger problem there.   my bet is if I dealt with what a lot of those people do down there id be against em too.

as for the equipment stuff, ya I see some of it in the magazine, but I don't fret that too much.  if you ask 100 different bowhunters their thoughts on different methods and gear selection youll get 100 different answers.  to each his own I guess...
is it September yet??

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 12:31:00 AM »
Kind of a "slippery slope" question from a "media" guy?  What are you shooting for and which way are you going to "spin" the answers!  What kind of "media" do you work for?

Just curious.  Sounds a bit like a loaded question!!

:saywhat:     :dunno:
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 12:33:00 AM »
Fair chase has very specific qualities for me but I don't try and force my will on other hunters.  

I am fortunate enough to own the land I hunt on and have the luxury of not needing ATVs, compounds, or other mechanical crutches to compensdate for my lack of patience, stamina or skill.     :D
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 12:37:00 AM »
As far as I am concerned, other people can do what they want to do, within reason. I am here because I am drawn to traditional archery and to me that means longbow or recurve.

I have very good friends who hunt with compounds and once in awhile we hunt together. However, I don't care to read about compound bows, crossbows, muzzleloaders or the latest sight or mechanical release because I have no interest in them.  
I frequent this site because I want to hear from other longbow or recurve shooters, follow along with some of their hunts, challenges and success stories. It is also a great place for advice on hunting bows and hunting applications.

Perhaps I am a bit biased. But I do love traditional bowhunting and that is what this site is about. There are other all-inclusive sites for others of a different mindset.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 12:47:00 AM »
The "Traditional Collective"?

Traditional is more about the individual and being a  well rounded steward for future individuals, for whom we preserve, protect and pass the mantle, as both good citizens of the USA and sportsmen and sportswomen.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 12:53:00 AM »
ATV: not against them per say. I am against the use of atv in unauthorized areas. Had a scouting trip ruined just this last weekend by atv in walk in only area. Blew everything out of the are.
Compounds and crossbows: not against them. Crossbows have no place in the archery season. Compounds with high speeds, high let off, sights, and trigger release devices are not archery and don't belong in the archery season.

I also think there is a difference between subsistence hunting and sporting hunting. There are things that are legal and ethical but unsporting. I love wild game but my family won't waste away without it. For some it is a different story and I respect that.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 01:01:00 AM »
I'm with Skitch.

Offline Mike Tomano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 01:05:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by SKITCH:
Kind of a "slippery slope" question from a "media" guy?  What are you shooting for and which way are you going to "spin" the answers!  What kind of "media" do you work for?

Just curious.  Sounds a bit like a loaded question!!

:saywhat:       :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"If you're not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." - Fred Bear

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 01:22:00 AM »
If a couple of you guys would take the trouble to look at this man's profile and then at the website linked there maybe you'd learn a little bit about him and not be so damn suspicious.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 01:51:00 AM »
I hunt with compound shooters 90% of the time. They have their choice and I have mine. Bashing compound shooters isnt going to help our sport of bowhunting as a whole.

As far as crossbows are concerned I think if you are able to physically draw a bow then you should not have the advantage of hunting with a pre-drawn weapon.

The use of ATVs is a human responsibility issue. Its not the ATVs fault that property is destroyed it is the person operating it that is
at fault. I don't own an ATV but have used friend's to get deer out of the woods. They save a lot of work and if used properly don't do much damage.

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 02:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by Grey Taylor:
If a couple of you guys would take the trouble to look at this man's profile and then at the website linked there maybe you'd learn a little bit about him and not be so damn suspicious.

Guy
I did!  Quite a bit actually!   No offense intended to Mike and it sounds as if none taken!   I think he understood the question!
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 03:26:00 AM »
Compounds vs. Recurve/Long bow, Camo vs. Plaid, atv vs. horse.  Who cares, when it all comes down to it no matter what you wear, shoot, or use to pack out your trophy. True hunters all have one thing we all can agree on.  Thats the love of the outdoors and passing on the tradition of being out in God's creation and being thankfull for being able to enjoy the way of life we all love to our younger generation.  

I my self dont look down or have a bad opinion on those who use the latest and greatest for hunting.  I myself just made the switch over to hunting with a recurve last year but I still use some of the newer stuff when I hunt.  But I do look down on those who go out and break the game laws of hunting.  

So lets not worry about who uses what and judge them for it.  Instead lets focuse on preserving and passing the torch on to the future of our sport we all love.
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 04:07:00 AM »
Mr. Tomano,
 I too, am a little put off by the "I'm better than them" attitude that comes across in my favorite trad hunting magazine. I was raised to believe that I'm no better than anyone else.
 That said, I will never condone the breaking of any laws just to "bag" an animal. These laws are supposed to be in place as a guideline for helping people to know what's reasonable, ethical or moral, right?
 I may not represent the "Traditional Collective" as a whole, but I'm proud to be a member of it.
 Just my humble opinion...

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 04:13:00 AM »
Well said Deeter! My opinions mirror yours. I don't always agree with everything the game wardens say and do, but I obey the laws and expect everyone else to do the same.

We are all on a journey. Growing up, no one in my family bow hunted, so I was a rifle hunter. My first hands on exposure to archery was through Boy Scouts (a recurve), but I didn't start bow hunting until a friend of mine started me with a hand me down compound. I've continued my journey now into traditional bows, but no one else I hunt or shoot with is traditional.  

I do object to crossbows having the same season as the rest of archery, and I think there should also be a trad only season (like muzzle loaders), here in Michigan.

But I do not object to other forms of hunting or gear. As has been said, to each their own. Just because I don't think it's sporting, 'fair', or right, doesn't mean that the next guy shouldn't be able to enjoy the outdoors, and hunt how he wants to.

I do really hate to encounter other hunters while afield, but I really enjoy their company and camaraderie at any other time. Especially around the camp fire, giving them a hand when they've been successful, and certainly here on tradgang.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 05:46:00 AM »
The way I do anything is the way I do it.

Your way can be the same, similar or totally different but that's of no concern to me if it's legal and ethical. The legal is quite clear (unless you're a lawyer!), the "ethical" can cause some debate...

My view is you have to like your gear. I like recurves, wish I could shoot a longbow better and prefer wood arrows and Autumn Orange aluminums.
You have your preferences and we can joke around about the differences, but I'm not going to dwell on them.

Respect is hard to come by these days. Many have a "me first" and "hurry up" attitude that gets in the way. Perhaps, it's that simple, everyone has to show more respect.
Oh, that it could be that simple, if you think that would be simple...
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 06:11:00 AM »
On ATV's, I believe that if used responsibly they are not a problem.  I will be pulling one with me when I head west in a few days.  But if I hike in to an area where they are not allowed and some bonehead comes tooling up on his ATV I can guarantee it will chaff my hide.  I sure sympathize with those who put up with irresponsible use.

I frequently hunt with friends who use compounds and have no issue at all with them.  I choose my partners based on how they hunt, not what they carry for a bow.  That being said, I do not agree with crossbows being allowed in the archery season.  Not that I think I am better than them, but they simply are not bows.

Fenced hunting is a very difficult question, but a very important one in my mind.  There are extremes on both ends, from pens in which you pick your animal, shoot it, and go home, to those such as some in Africa where you can drive for hours without reaching a fence.  

To me, the defining factor is whether you are hunting animals that were born on and grew up on the property. Put and take operations, where animals are brought in by truck to be shot by "hunters", is where the line is crossed.  That is not hunting in my mind, and I think reflects badly on the sport we love.

Ethics are a personal thing, and very devisive in many cases.  I have strong opinions about mine, and I also am picky about the friends I hunt with based on their ethics as well.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 06:19:00 AM »
I have no qualms about any legal form of hunting. That being said there are several methods that I don't care to participate in personally, but I wouldn't bash another hunter for trying. I shoot my recurve because I love it and have a passion for it. I have a friend who feels the same way about his rifles. And my father in law has recently fallen in love with cross bows, my father in law has never been a hunter but now has an interest in getting in the field this season with me because of his cross bow. Who am I to criticize his weapon of choice for enjoying the outdoors, and possibly drive him to stay home? If an individual can kill an animal in an enclosure and be happy with that animal and make full use of the meat the more power to him, it's not for me. I've got no great moral objection to baiting where it's legal, just as I don't object to food plots, acorns, or estrous lures. We are called to be care takers of this world, given dominion over the creatures of the earth. If your going to use the animal harvested, and not harm the environment or herd so to speak. Then ill not bash another for use of any safe legal practice. Just my humble opinion.
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 06:39:00 AM »
I have lots of compound shooting friends and relatives and used to shoot them myself, but I consider them better suited for target shooting than hunting, and I don't like reading about them in hunting magazines.  I own an ATV but believe their use needs to be closely regulated and those rules followed.  I have no problem with hound hunters and don't see how hunting with dogs is in conflict with traditional archery or traditional values.  I don't think bait piles and high fences have anything to do with hunting, regardless of what kind of weapon used.  I think all of us have an unwritten, internal code of ethics and although they may not be written out, you know immediately when you or someone else crosses that line.  I personally have no issues with the opinions of traditional values or ethics held by the editors of that traditional archery magazine you refer to.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 07:03:00 AM »
As long as it is not breaking the law, abusing the rights of others or land, then why should I care.  We are all granted with the same "Privilege" to pursue our own happiness.

I too get turned off by the folks who attempt to "push" their beliefs on to others and who also do not respect differing views.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©