3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rare encouter  (Read 392 times)

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Rare encouter
« on: August 29, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
I took my bow to some public land to hunt squirrels and scout. I signed in at the sign-in station and noticed that there wasn't anybody else signed in for that day. So I thought cool, I have it all to myself! Well I proceeded to pull out of the parking lot to go down to the section I like to go and I saw a snake slowly crossing the road. So I got out of the car to check it out and low and behold it was a massasauga rattle snake.  :eek:   I held it's head down with an arrow and picked it up at the back of its head. That's when it through a fit and started whipping arround and rattling. I stuck my arrow up to it's mouth and it started nashing at it like a rabbid dog excreeting venom on my arrow. I let it go in the ditch. They are endangerd in Indiana. I have never seen one in my whole life up here.

Offline Barry Rowland

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rare encouter
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »
Brother you are a braver man than me!!  Great post!
Barry

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »
Thats awesome what you did!  Very cool not killing it.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
I googled it,it has a very distinct pattern,pretty neat.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »
Cool.  I wasn't aware they lived up there. You're braver than me  :)

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
That's the only venomous snake in Michigan and they're protected here too. Never saw one and kinda hoping I don't. I wouldn't kill it unless it was in my yard, but I REALLY don't like snakes. A lake about 10 miles from my home is supposed to be the rattlesnake capital of Michigan, but haven't seen any there either. Maybe I'm blind.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 10:04:00 AM »
I believe I heard that one reason people get bit by snakes is that they mess with them. For example,  picking them up!!!!
Anti-snake venom is some thing like $50,000 a dose.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by joe ashton:
I believe I heard that one reason people get bit by snakes is that they mess with them. For example,  picking them up!!!!
Anti-snake venom is some thing like $50,000 a dose.
Heh Heh, I've had so many reptiles as pets since I was a kid I lost count. You just have to know how to pick them up. Although this is the first poisonous one I have ever picked up.  :goldtooth:

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
An "exciting experience" like that can turn on less than a dime and you're fortunate to have walked away unscathed.   I'd recommend that you view a few Youtube videos on snake bite before you get the idea that reckless behavior can go unrewarded.

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
I don't hurt the snakes I come across either.  The eastern woods snakes are not as quick to react as the prairie rattlers that we have in the west. I have accidentally pushed my luck with them, twice. Massasaugas are extremely rare in Iowa, I have never seen one, but they are here.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 10:59:00 AM »
At Fort Sill OK back in the early 60's, we decided to climb Mt Scott just for grins. We got to the top and an old guy (my current age) said "You city boys must be crazy climbing up through all those snakes". I'm not a city boy, at least not originally, as I was raised on a small farm, but I really had not seen any. The old boy took us back down the path we came up and showed us three within about 5 minutes. They were just lying there enjoying the sun. At Ft Hood, TX, I had one protest my presence when I got out to change a flat. I drove 25 yds farther down the road, flat tire and all, before I got out again.

On a field training exercise, the 1Sgt told us to set up an M-60 in the ditch at a fork in the road. We found about a dozen little baby copperheads and figured Momma was around somewhere. The M-60, despite "Top's" disapproval, was set up elsewhere. I REALLY DO NOT like snakes   :)
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
Really cool!  A Snake Handler... LOL.  Well as others have said you are braver than me.  Really great when you get to see rare wildlife.

But I really do actually like the rattlers we have around here.  There are lots of them and they are always fighting turf wars with the non-venomous Bull snakes that we also have in these parts.  Both types are excellent rodent killers!  Here is a picture of a big boy that we ran across on an outing a few years back (we gave him a wide berth)- thanks for posting your encounter.

3 JD Berry Duo-Flex long bows
A pile of JD Berry ASL bows
2 JD Berry "OE" Long Bows

A Coyote ran accross the road, on the move without a home...
T. Petty

Offline TraditionalGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 12:32:00 PM »
I've never heard of that kind of snake, so I had to google it. Based on the images, I would have had a hard time not envisioning his skin on the back of one of my bows. You are definitely braver and a kinder man than I
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”
H. L. Mencken

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 12:44:00 PM »
What a neat encounter!  Growing up here in FL I've encountered all kinds of snakes- rat snakes, coachwhips, racers, water snakes, cottonmouths, rattlers.  I give em their space, I also agree they are superior rodent control.  If a nasty gets in my yard though its gonna be grilled snake on a stick for sure though.  Yum!!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 12:54:00 PM »
Cool experience    :knothead:

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by juneaulongbow:
Cool experience     :knothead:  
Ya, I was bummed I didn't have a camera with me!  :banghead:

Offline AKP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
My son and I were visiting the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve in NE Oklahoma last month and almost stepped on a Western Massasauga that was coiled up in the hiking trail.  It was a juvenile.  Took some cool pics of him.  It is the only one I've ever seen in my entire life and I don't know anyone else who has ever encountered this type of snake.  Very cool.
LH Martin Hunter 45#@28
LH Chek-mate Hunter II 44#@28
LH Maddog Recurve 45#@28
LH Black Widow PCH 46#@28

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
We encountered a very large Mohave Green at one of our archery shoots here in Prescott.They can be a little aggressive and are quite potent venom wise.
  He was about 3.5 feet long and almost the size of my wrist. We see western diamond backs quite often out here but this is their home too.

Offline rodwha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 07:39:00 PM »
Down here in Texas there are plenty of rattlers so I don't feel badly eating the ones I come across.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »
Some of Mother Nature's beauty is best appreciated from a distance.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©