3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Interesting response from Bear customer service  (Read 689 times)

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Interesting response from Bear customer service
« on: August 29, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »
This spring I bought a new Bear Cheyenne and within literally 2-3 weeks of getting it I began to see tight, white horizontal lines crossing the limbs on the back of the limbs--looks like rungs on a ladder going up the limb--very evident on the black glass.  I had seen these stretch marks, I will call them, on older bows but didn't expect them on a brand new bow in less than a month of shooting.  They look as though they were drawn with a straight edge and white fine point pen and stretch from one limb edge to the other.

I sent an e-mail to Bear customer service about it since the bow is still under warranty and got this response back from Andy in customer service; "That is normal for our bows. But, if you would like to send it back for replacement you can. I can't guarantee it won't happen on the new one, but we can have you send that back for replacement."

I think it is amazing that they think that should be "normal for our bows."  Is anyone else having this issue?  I sure hope it doesn't happen on my new '59 Kodiak--doubt it will since it is a very different finish.  If this is normal, Bear needs to check with some other bow makers on how to fix it.

I guess I won't send it back since there are no guarantees it won't just happen right away again.  Not real happy with that situation, though.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Interesting response from Bear customer service
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »
I would send it back and take my chances on getting one that won't do it.  Does sound kinda sketchy to call that normal.

Offline bigiron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
every bear bow that's been shot much at all has been that way for the last 50 some years that I've seen while shooting.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »
Send it back. They will take care of you. Things happen and you never know who you are going to get on the phone.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Mad Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »
I bought a 52" kodiak magnum last summer, maybe longer ago. It started doing it within 100 shots. I've got a short draw, so it wasn't from over drawing. I called Bear and got a similar response. I kept it because I got it at a deep discount. They seem to be right. I can't see where it affected anything and is still a smooth drawing bow. I hope this helps.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 06:46:00 PM »
I'd see if they would refund your money and get a bow that won't have those issues.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
I know they will take care of this issue but he seemed to be saying it could well happen again and I think it would since they all come out of the same factory and have the same finish.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
I too would send it back in and try for another one. A new bow should not be having that problem!

Bisch

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
If everyone with this problem just kept their bow, then why would Bear make any efforts to correct the situation?  

I'd keep sending bows back until they got the message.

I've had their new '59 for 6 months now without issues.  Also, got some TD limbs that are flawless as well.
Lon Scott

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
No doubt here SEND IT BACK  :nono:    :nono:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
I'd send it back and get my money back and look for another line of bows to shoot.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
Its caused by a combination of things. Type of finish, Layering it on without sanding between coats ect. It is completely in the finishishing process and does not effect the bow., I have refinished several hundred old Bears with it and once you sand through the finish the lines are gone. I do not know what finish that they use but it does seem to protect the wood really well and holds up for many years but it does craze in the working parts of the limb. The older Martins do it too.  It is always worse on the back of the limbs than it is on the belly. this seems to indicate that it does not handle tension as well as compression. This also indicates that the finish is too hard or brittle.  
God bless, Steve

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
If you are happy with the bow but not the finish, Keep sending bows back until one of 2 things happen.

1. You get a bow that it doesn't happen with or,

2. They get sick of sending you bows.

If its the latter, Maybe they will figure out a better finish.

If It were me Personally and I liked the bow, and it doesnt affect the integrity, I would just keep it and shoot it.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 10:59:00 PM »
Yeah, it's not a structural issue--just cosmetic, and not too bad now but hoping it doesn't just continue to develop more of the lines.

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 09:15:00 AM »
I have purchased one of the new Super Kodiaks and a total of five of the newer take downs over the past three years.  One set of take down limbs had that same crazing.  I sent them back and they were replaced by a set that so far, haven't shown the same tendacy. All of the other new Bears that I have bought have not had this problem.  One of the new red stipe takedowns that I bought used had it a lot worse than the set that I bought new.  I was going to send them back but that set up is my best shooting bow.  Everyone says that it doesn't hurt anything and I have seen Bears that were 50 years old with the same problem still going strong.  So, I decided to keep this set of limbs.  Yes, they do have a problem with some of the bows/limbs finish but they will also do what they can to make it right. The only issue I had was with the turn around time.  I am not a patient guy by nature and the customer service turn around time was about 8 weeks.

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
I had a guy at a shoot tell me awhile back that he was surprised that the finish issues weren't a lot worse than they were.  He said that the environmental conditions where they are made in Florida are so much different than the places where they are shipped to.  Differences in heat, humidity, # of mosquitos in Fla., etc.  He said it would be impossible to come up with a finish that would be perfect everywhere the bows were sent.  I don't know, am not a professional furniture finisher, but it does make sense to me.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »
Other bow makers are scattered all over the country and sending bows everywhere without this issue.  I don't think I buy that theory. Still mulling this one over.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
I'd send it back personally.  On a 50 year old bow, that's to be expected.  On a 1-month old bow, I'd think the finish is too hard and brittle and might not age well.  I'd definitely give them another chance, or possibly even two if I liked the bow, to make it right.  If you get a third bow in that crazes like that right out of the box, then I'd just sell the bow an get another brand if that crazing bothers you.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 12:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by DennyK:
I'd see if they would refund your money and get a bow that won't have those issues.
:thumbsup:

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
If it really is cosmetic only....keep it and shoot it...????? I've seen soooooo many original bows with the longitudinal cracks....running north and south...it's now normal to me...!!! IF it's a true structural issue, send it back as instructed and get a new one. I do not believe Bear is being unreasonable here.Offering a new bow sight unseen by them is good business..! MANY bows show signs of crazing...ESPECIALLY on black glass.....I had a first year MAG riser Bear  "A" handle takedown that had moderate crazing and a dealer traded me virtually anything I would take to get those limbs...!!! They had been crazed for nearly 40 years before I traded it....!!! It may not be prevelant on some of todays bows, but so what...if you like the bow, keep it and enjoy it. Just glad to see Bear Archery continuing their lin-up.....JMO....JOHN
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©