3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: This Trad Gang Member Knows his Stuff...the Gator Terminator  (Read 829 times)

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: This Trad Gang Member Knows his Stuff...the Gator Terminator
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
WOW! I'm stoking the coals, lets hear the story..

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
My Goodness  :thumbsup:    :notworthy:  ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
Very well deserved...Marks "good people",Congrats bud!!   :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2007, 11:13:00 PM »
Big enough to get a pair of boots and a back quiver out of him dontcha think?
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2007, 11:21:00 PM »
Congrats Mark! That thing is huge.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2007, 04:29:00 AM »
So, HOW dead was this thing - that he had to tape the nozzle - even for the trophy pics?!?

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007, 05:02:00 AM »
Man thats huge , congrats :0)
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2007, 05:13:00 AM »
Trad no less!
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2007, 09:20:00 AM »
Thanks everyone, yes he is huge, had no idea he was that big until after I shot him.  We figured he was over 10 but his body is just unreal.  We normally try and tape and hog tie them to keep them alive until we get them processed, kinda hard to ice down a big gator, but when I saw how big his body was I put 2 more arrows and line in 'em and with my 1st arrow in his L lung and my 2nd arrow in his R lung, he drowned on us when we tried to tow him back down to a ramp and figure out how to load it in the boat.  
I got him opening night of GA's gator season on Lake Eufaula, I had a buddy with me along with my friend and guide/nuisance trapper for the state of FL, Tate Morrell.  I had scouted out these gators the week before and knew they were good, but not this good!  Jason was up 1st and 40mins into legal time we had an arrow in his, 2 hours later when we finally got his in the boat it measured out at 11' 4" and about 500#.  Now off to find mine!  Looked at about 4 more but not quite big enough, so it was all I could stand and I told them to sit down and get ready for a long boat ride.  Had to run all way up river to where I had seen the big one the week before.  As soon as we got up there we located him and then spent a while trying to get close to him, after 5 tries he finally let me get within 10yds or so and put one in him right thru the ribs, he tore out of there, popping my bouy off and taking it under.  I rigged up another arrow while Tate grabbed the line and pulled along.  He had no problem towing my 20ft boat and then went down to the bottom in 32ft of water and sat there for over 20 mins not moving.  We pulled all we could be he would not budge.  Finally he shot to the surface and stayed on top and we could get an idea about how big he was, oh my!  I got ready and we pulled the boat to him and got my 2nd arrow in, then fought him awhile and got my 3rd arrow in the neck.  Now to figure out how to get him in the boat.  It was all we could do to pull the head up and get the jaws taped.  There was no way we were going to be able to load this thing.  It took all we had to get Jason's in the boat.  Fortunately there was a ramp just down the river and 4 guy's were pulling out after shooting their gator and they helped us, but we barely got him in.  Now off to the processor.  Nobody there had seen anything that big and we though he might be a state record, but I later found out that GA does not recognize weight and only goes by length, but he is a true trophy to me and I am sure I will never be able to top this one, so the pressure is off to even try.  He measured out 12' 6" and we took circumference measurements and used a formula they had to figure his weight between 720-739#.  He had a 53in neck, 6ft around the belly and over 50in around the base of the tail, he was a giant!  The nxt night we took Jason's wife down to Seminole and within an hour got her one right at 10ft.  Awesome trip and great time with some great friends.  Now I just feel like I have been playing tackle football with the college team, I am sure, but happy!  I never thought I would say it but he is actually too big to mount so I am getting the head done in euro, keeping the feet for the claws and getting the meat and selling the hide.  Just gotta figure out where I can find a mantel big enought to set this skull on??  Thanks, Mark
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »
my son has been bugging me to get him a pet lizard, so i showed him Marks trophy and ask if he would like one like this. his reply "Dad are you crazy, that thing won't fit in my cage"....

that's one awesome looking trophy. lot's of boots and belts in that one. i'm with joebuck, stuff em whole....

thanks for sharing....
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
Congratulations!! How cool is that!!    :thumbsup:   I'll bet it felt like a real life "Jaws"(with a gator) when you had that beast on;)  Great job! Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »
I think you should go in the hatband business. They would sell out here in a day..Congrats. Let be first on the list for a nice one off the back  :D  
G.
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »
Congrats Mark !!!!!!!!!

Thats a sho-nuff dandy right there!!!!  :jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2007, 03:17:00 PM »
Very nice one Mark !!! We are going tomorrow night but I can't shoot one thet big; he's bigger than the boat !!
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »
Mmmmmm alligator tail!

Mickey, I had some that was in a seafood gumbo. I thought it was quite delicious, but then I like onions.

Let's see now...
Alligator quiver, alligator wallet, alligator shoes, alligtor handle wraps, alligator arm guard...
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2007, 10:58:00 PM »
I'm with you,Mark....spending fifteen thousand to get him mounted life size is just too much money...why, that's a stone sheep hunt, or a moose/mountain caribou backcountry horseback hunt in the Yukon.

Better to do teh skull as you say, sell the hide, save your money and do more hunts.

Congratulations, friend.That one will be tough to top...big as any I've seen...even down on Jeckyll on the golf courses there.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline OzarkRamblr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2007, 03:50:00 AM »
That is a monster, way to go!!

:bigsmyl:
"A friend of mine said that I'm lucky, I told him luck has nothing to do with the life I chose, we choose the life we have and don't have, so choose wisely"...Kingwouldbe

Words to live by.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2007, 07:30:00 AM »
Dang!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »
T-rex? WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »
Well done Mark!  Dang.....big game bowfishing at it's finest!  Did you get that one on video?

Biggest I've seen out and about (hog hunting) was around 11 feet, and that was a dang big lizard.  Maybe we'll get a season here in MS before I'm too dang old to draw a bow.  What kind of poundage did it take to stick him, and did you have to modify your point?  Did you keep poking him with fishing arrows, or after the first one did you use broadheads?

Chad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©