3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wolf controversy...  (Read 962 times)

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Wolf controversy...
« on: August 29, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
Are they as bad as everyone is making them out to be? It seems both sides of the argument are manipulating the numbers in their favor. My biggest issue with it is that it seems their introduction may be illegal as the ones let loose weren't the native species. Maybe some Idaho/Montana folk can weigh in on the situation and give us some insight.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wolf controversy...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
Here we go.  Hang on brother.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
Anytime you allow hunters into an area that are better hunters than ourselves with no bag limits or seasons, someone will have an opinion and nothing ever gets settled.  you do however see a lot of fireworks   :readit:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
http://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/wolves-kill-sheep-in-idaho/article_a38ea337-36a2-50c0-9486-733993b458b4.html  

Ask Idaho, Montana and western Wyoming folks about wolves' impact on the elk and moose populations, and it becomes pretty clear that they need some serious controls imposed on them.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
I won't get too far into this, but most or all Montanans are very anti wolf.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
Ever since I saw the movie "The Grey" I've had a taste for one.  "Good lil' puppy"
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
In the past 4 years I've had Elk & Moose sightings drop drastically. I hardly ever see a Moose in areas I used to see 4 or 5 a year. The elk situation is similar. Less & less being seen in a lot of places.

wolf depredations in Yellowstone Park have gone way up too. The heavier the snowfall, the easier prey Elk & Moose become.

Grand parents killed wolves for a reason.
Personally, I'd like to see them all gone.
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »
We just had our first confirmed wolf attack on a human this week.  The kid survived with 17 staples to the back of his head.  Lucked out.  Said he'd probably won't be sleeping outside ever again!

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
I saw a pair in my favorite elk hunting area yesterday., No elk though. Not even a track. These were wolf dogs that someone turned out in hopes that they would start a pack, Matching male and female and really beautiful . starving to death though and asking for food. That's how I knew they were pets. The Forest Service now knows where they are. All they have to do to catch them is show them a sandwich./ LOL.
The people doing this are really stupid and they are condemning their animals to a terrible death. It really made me sick.

God bless, Steve

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 10:56:00 PM »
I have some friends that live,  and my father has spent the past 18 years hunting the west fork of the bitterroot river outside of Hamilton and from what I have been told and stories of dads hunts with Gordy, things are not what they once were since the wolfs introduction in the frank church wilderness area in Idaho. Something drastic needs to be done for the tax payers of those states that now have to find other places to hunt rather than hunting out the back door. Who knows if something ever will get done with all the lobbyists in Washington... Quite the crock
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »
Shoot, shovel, and shut up.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
Those wolf dogs are the ones I'd be worried about, no fear of man. Whoever released them is a moron.  Either catch em or shoot em.  Good lil puppies.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 11:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by SCATTERSHOT:
Shoot, shovel, and shut up.
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
I have heard of a collared wolf from Id being tracked across NV into CA and then back.  I have a tag up on the NV -ID border in Oct.  Might get to see one
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
Thanks guys. Quite honestly the whole thing stinks to me. I wish they had never introduced them in the first place. It seems the more and more I dig the more I find that they are wiping out game species all over. It's incredibly sad. I wish the Fish and Game departments involved would be held accountable for this travesty.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Blessed One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 12:24:00 AM »
Just got done at Yellowstone and the guide an employee of Yellowstone said 2 out of every three pronghorn born are taken by the wolves. Saw next to no elk and very few mule deer. Went on a horseback ride at the Shoshone lodge right outside east gate of Yellowstone. This was the area Buffallo Bill Cody had his big game camp. The guide said they use to see elk all the time and since the reintroduction of the wolves they never see them anymore.
Working that Northern Mist Mojo!
Making the transition from one who hunts bows to one who bowhunts!

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 12:33:00 AM »
A hot button issue for sure.  Here's my take:

1. The courts need to grow a set and turn management back over to the states, full time, then throw out any new lawsuits filed by the pro-wolf lobby.  Let the States manage them as they see fit.

2. More hunters need to quit bitching and get out hunting wolves.  Unfortunately, most hunters are fat and lazy and the wolves just don't stand off the side of the road to let people shoot at them.  It's easier to complain than to trudge out through the mountains, so people just complain.  If you don't like wolves, get a tag and start hiking.  

3.  The wolves are here to stay.  Deal with it.

Offline jean-vincent

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 06:05:00 AM »
wolf are useful , but  got to be regulated .
don't forget a thing , when they can , they'll prefer to hunt old or sick animals ... that help to have a sane population on game .
the trouble start when they're to many but when they are to few too .
jack of all trades , master of none !!
 http://lames-de-jv.e-monsite.com/

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 07:46:00 AM »
If you want facts research cow calf ratios, and age structure of Elk herds. Look at carrying capacity of the habitat.

The two myths that make me chuckle the most are that they kill the sick and weak and that only the alpha male and alpha female breed.

Offline Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 07:59:00 AM »
A great book on the subject is "Wolfer

A great book on the subject is "Wolfer" by Carter Niemeyer. Its the truth of reintroduction from the authority. Lots of good info.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©