3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Card board targets?  (Read 306 times)

Offline tommy36

• Trad Bowhunter
Card board targets?
« on: August 29, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
Hey not sure if this is where this post belongs but I want to make a target and did a little reading thinking compressed cardboard will be my best bet I want to do it kind of like a block target has anyone done one like this, if so did it hold up decent I am on a tight tight budget so cardboard is the go too but if anyone has any other cheap homemade targets I would like to hear about them.
Home of The Free, Because of The Brave
USAF

Offline BJP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Card board targets?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
An old grain sack filled with plastic grocery bags works pretty well.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 12:15:00 PM »
I remember a thread one other time where a guy said he used old couch cushions. People dump them all over around here. I thought it sounded like a good idea,and it doesn't get any cheaper than that.

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
I had a 4 x 5 foot target stacked full of layered cardboard and compressed with all thread and angle iron and the original cardboard I used lasted for over 5 years. That's with me shooting it everyday. When it loosens up just tighten it some more, or spin the cardboard and rotate it and re-tighten. It lasts for years but now the cardboard is getting expensive. Oh ya, I forgot, it was also outside all the time in the weather. Works real well.
"Just passing through"

Offline r-man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »
I prefer for field tips , Clothes are best, rags towels, jeans with zippers removed, and yes sofa cushings, there are 5 sofa targets in my back yard, three bags of rags, one foam broad head, and a pile of sand(dirt) also for broadheads, you guys with heavy poundages may want to double up cushings, I shoot 650g from 45# and cushings are fine.
Randy

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »
I tried a compressed cardboard target a few years ago.  It worked pretty well, but didn't hold up to the weather (rain) at all and got soggy.  It needs to be covered when not in use.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »
Then I tried compressed closed cell foam, which worked great.  Like one of those block targets only about 4 feet by 4 feet in size. But the foam sheets I got from work don't hold up to sun light.  They got dry and crispy. So that didn't work.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
I also have a compressed cardboard target 5/8 th threaded rod with a 2 x 8 top and a 2 x 8 bottom. Its about 42 wide 36 high. I have it in the back of the garage against the a walll so it gets no weather.
Holds up pretty well. Every so often I take it apart and rotate the cardboard from the top and bottom with the middle. Do tell my wife but I think there is a 6" hole in the plasterboard wall behind the target!
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by BJP:
X2

I fill my empty chicken feed sacks full of old grocery bags. works real well and is light weight. Stops an arrow dead and easy removal. Also a lot easier on the arrow finish than cardboard. Iv' saved a ton of money making these targets and they last pretty good. When the bag gets shot up, just refill a new bag with the plastic bags from the old one.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 02:04:00 AM »
x3. Pack them plastic bags in there real tight. Makes a fine target for field points.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 01:29:00 PM »
snag a couple couch cushions and stuff them tight into a cardboard box. Use packing tape to wrap the box real well. It stops field points like a champ! As others have said, not the best in the rain.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline tommy36

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
thanks fr all the great responses guys does the cardboard bother any arrows?
Home of The Free, Because of The Brave
USAF

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
Try an Ames Pillow target. Its made out of burlap and has grommets in the corners to ease hanging it up. I fill mine with plastic bags and construction  plastic works great! Its economical and has a target picture on either side when to feel that an area is being shot out stand on the target and realign the plastic. Lasts for a long time. One of the sponsors on here must carry these. Check it out.

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by BWD:

x3. Pack them plastic bags in there real tight. Makes a fine target for field points. [/b]
X4, I have one that's been outside for the last 2 years, I only shoot at it occasionally as I use a block target now, but previously that's all I used with a nylon type grain bag stuffed full of plastic bags.
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©