3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting Practice & Hunting Prep (pic heavy) w/ pics from Tim's first trad hunt added  (Read 1038 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Timmy (Tim - next door neighbors adult son) and I have been having shooting sessions, as we can get together, and have got probably 10 or 12 under our belts now. Yesterday (with Rose's help) we moved some of the targets around before our session. Moved the big buck out of this lane and moved li'l Bucky forward a tad and more into the center of the lane. Also moved the pig over and forward a tad.

Now they both can be seen (and shot at) better, and you have to thread the needle's eye a little to hit the pig in the kill zone.

We moved one of the bag deer tgts over between the other two deer (to make a small deer grouping).

And we moved the big Buck to the B side of the range and made him a Doe (his antlers made it hard to shoot at the deer and pig to the right). Gotta knock that rotted stump behind her down a little more.

Timmy is getting his form down pretty tight now and improving on his shooting with each session (as am I - it makes us more aware when teaching - LOL)

A close-up of Tim. He is really into his shooting and our sessions, and chatter about trad shooting and hunting (also, as am I).

(more to follow)
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Excellent Bernie!

And good morning to ya.  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Double tap.

Sorry.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tim retrieves an errant arrow from the backdrop (and long range target) (we all have those errant arrows don't we - LOL)

On the other side of Tim.

Your host, yours truly, sans regular hat - it's hot here - LOL.

Again

and again but in a close-up frontal - to ruin yer day.

A frontal of Tim also

(more to follow)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thank you, Bud, and top of the marnnin to you as well.

This is my new Hammock Seat that arrived today, and we decided to try that out as well. (I strapped it to the same tree my loc-on stand is in, so that is what the extra straps and ladder are.) It's carry bag is on the ladder there. For those interested The seat is from Simply Traditional, a trad arcery supplier and fellow member (plus sponsor) here on TradGang.

So here I am - waiting for a deer to come along - all comfy in my Hammock seat.

I spy one, pivot a little to the right and take careful aim.

Here I am after the shot and i must admit I'm gloating over the first shot out of my new chair.

And Here is the shot/hit. I'll take that on an angling away shot.

(Two more pics to come)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Wolfshead

• Trad Bowhunter
Great pics
I have the hammock seat too.
Really like it
Hope I am as successful out of as you were!
Bama Expediton Hunter Hybrid Longbow
58", 52# @ 27"
Bama Hunter Longbow
64", 45# @ 27"
"You only need sit still long enough, in some attractive spot in the woods, that all it's inhabitants may exhibit themselves to you by turns"
Henry David Thoreau

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Got Tim to sit in the chair to check the comfort on a larger man. He was quite pleased and relaxed.

Tim drew for me, and to check it out for himself. He didn't shoot though, as he had already stowed his tab and arm guard. We were both quite impressed with the Hammock Seat, as I was when I first heard about it and saw a video of it in use on youtube.

Thanks for looking and hope you enjoyed it. We certainly did, as we do all our practice sessions.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thank you, Wolfshead for the added info. I find the seat very comfortable, and not only lightweight to carry (One lb. +) but easy to shoot out of.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
Good morning, Bernie.  Nice set up, I hope to shoot there someday.

Tom

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hey, Tom - good to hear from you again, and I hope that comes to pass as well.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
Good Morning Bernie. Great pics as always.

Glad to see Your shooting and enjoying Yourself. I like the looks of Your hammock seat might have to check them out.

Have a great weekend and keep shooting!!

bretto

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thanks so much, bretto. I've used a lot of different seats (including just the thin cushion of a turkey vest) and liked them all - at the time. However, as I get older - comfort and ease of carry (and use) becomes more important. This one seems to fill the  bill the best so far. I dearly hope I will be able to keep shooting right up to the end - I love it, and love watching the arc of the arrow, no matter who is shooting.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I noticed that I really blurred (I think it's an age thing - LOL)the pic of the moved "big buck/become doe". I took camera (and hatchet) in hand and went out the door and hacked the stump down (piece of cake) and took another pic:

(Looks much better, don't you think?)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thanks so much for the shout out Bernie!! I really appreciate it! The response on orders for Hammock Seats the past few weeks has been great!!!

One thing I notice looking the the photos you posted, if I can offer you some advice.

To make the seat more comfortable and stable. Once you have the seat attached to the tree and the center pole in place against the tree. When you go to sit in the seat. Reach behind yourself with both hands and pull the sides of the seat out as you ease down into the seat. This will cause the seat to wrap around your hips and make for a much more comfortable experience. If I can I will get my daughter to take some photos this weekend and post them here.

So glad you are happy with the seat!!! Please tell your friends, we have more of them!!  :)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
My pleasure, Steve. and glad to hear that it's doing well. It seems to be a good and well-made product. I did read (and do) that but perhaps not ass much as can be done. I'll concentrate on that a little more - makes sense to me. If you do get pics, please post them, I'm sure others would be interested also.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Wolfshead

• Trad Bowhunter
Yes please post pictures!
I have set mine up and sat in it but have not had a chance to shoot out of it yet. (I live in the suburbs and the neighbors don't take kindly to shooting towards them    :scared: )
Got to get up north to test the seat out.
I love what I have experienced so far, great product!
Bama Expediton Hunter Hybrid Longbow
58", 52# @ 27"
Bama Hunter Longbow
64", 45# @ 27"
"You only need sit still long enough, in some attractive spot in the woods, that all it's inhabitants may exhibit themselves to you by turns"
Henry David Thoreau

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
I will do so this weekend. Need the help of my lovely assistant to take the photos. She is not home from school till after 4pm.  :)

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
Ah yes, the errant arrow - sometimes I have a quiver full!
Great looking setup and good to hear that you and your shooting partner are helping each other improve.
I'm interested in the seat as well, looks good.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
I've gotta order one of these. Steve is a great guy and knows hunting. He loves them and has been talking them up to me awhile now. He doesn't sell anything at Simply Traditional he doesn't stand behind.

These photos make me want one even more!!! I think you just sealed the deal for me.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Good luck to you, Bernie!

I am worried about deer season for me. I got that thunder maker from the auction and it is always thundering around here now!    :biglaugh:      :biglaugh:  

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©