3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I never thought it would be THIS HARD  (Read 757 times)

Offline solobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
I never thought it would be THIS HARD
« on: August 30, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »
I starting shooting trad last year.  Once I discovered this awesome adventure, I felt like I had come home.
    This past March I bought a bow from one of the members here off the classifieds.  No complaints here at all.  The bow was built by a reputable bowyer and the seller was a joy to deal with.  The bow looked practically brand new even though it was a few years old.
    Fast forward to today.  I have enjoying shooting this bow immensely. I shoot daily and I feel I have learned so much about real archery(I shot with training wheels over 25 years). My accuracy really went up when I finally got the right spine arrows, thanks to advice from one of our fellow members.
     This morning the unthinkable happened.  My bow broke.  It's 18 days until opening day here and I have the last week of Sept. scheduled off to hunt.  I was so looking forward to hunting trad only this season, but now it looks like I'm back to wheels.
     My question is, should I contact the bowyer?  I'm not looking for anything.  Do you think he would want to know?  While I don't know about the previous owners, I always use a bow stringer, I always unstring after shooting and I kept it stored properly.  I was always mindful to shoot around 8-10 gpp. What do you guys think?
USMC 1986-1990

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I never thought it would be THIS HARD
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 02:30:00 PM »
sell the wheels and get another trad. bow, you have time. i probably would contact the bowyer to update . if a three piece and limb broke....maybe a loaner set of limbs??

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 02:31:00 PM »
The maker might give you some insight as to what went wrong. What is you draw length and bow specs?
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
Been there myself. its always good to have a back up bow just for this reason. Very Very seldom does a bow come apart but it does occationally happen. I dont think going back to the wheels is the best solution especialy when you practiced so hard. If you cant buy or borrow another bow to get you thru the season let me know. I have a few extras laying around here and would rather lend you one so you can enjoy this sport until you get a new one of your own.  No reason to ever go back to a compound.

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 02:45:00 PM »
Man I'm sorry to hear that, that's just terrible.  Sell the wheels and get another, my last wheelie bow will be put on the auctions site this week.
Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »
Man I'm sorry to hear that, that's just terrible.  Sell the wheels and get another, my last wheelie bow will be put on the auctions site this week.
Caleb Hinton

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
Outstanding !!!

Way to step up LB.. If LB doesn't have a bow that suits you maybe I do.. Let us know !

Now solo ???

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 02:50:00 PM »
Bummer!!!!  I would contact to builder and just let them know.  I would then sell the wheels, scour the classifieds on here or order a Samick Journey from Lancaster.  Order it about the same draw weight as your broken one and your arrows should be close.  Sweet shooting bow for the money!  I would not be afraid to hunt with one at all.  Good luck!

Offline solobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
I actually do have a backup.  I got it off that auction site.  I hate the way it shoots but I'll just have to suck it up I guess.  I'm just extremely frustrated as I have really put in the time and things were just starting to really click.  This was a good quality bow and I really liked it.  My concern is do I have enough time to become acquainted with something this late?  I'm a little slow-witted....I don't think I can make myself go back to wheels though.
USMC 1986-1990

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 02:58:00 PM »
I have always been told that your brain's eye will adjust rather quickly to a new bow so I would think you do.  I know I went from shooting a 58lb long bow to shooting the 50lb recurve in my sig and after about two days I was shooting it like a champ.  That is if your arrows are spined correctly for the other bow.
Caleb Hinton

Offline solobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 02:59:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  You guys are truly awesome!  Thanks for the offers as well and thanks for letting me vent.  I've been through worse.  This is just a bump in the road. I knew I could vent here.  Who else could understand any better than you guys???
USMC 1986-1990

Offline solobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »
LB and Pat, you guys are awesome!
USMC 1986-1990

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 03:05:00 PM »
A couple of years ago, I had a bow come apart as I was drawing on a turkey; that was a bummer. But, I picked up another bow and was shooting OK with it in a couple of days.
Go with your other bow and then be on the lookout for one to replace your broken one. Bows break, but there are lots of bargains in our very own classifieds, not to mention lots of great sponsors on TG.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Jon Kaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 03:15:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about your bow.  It's frustrating  when you put the time and work in only to face another setback.   :mad:    You still have time before the season starts. A few practice sessions and I bet you'll be good to go.  
Good luck with your season.
   Jon    :archer:
Never quit doing good.
}}}---------->
Bama Bows Hunter 64" 60@28
HHA Half Breed 64" 55@29
JD Berry Morning Star 66" 53@28

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
Looks like your on the road to recovery, this is one reason you want your back up gear to be near or same specs as your go to gear, that way the learning curve is very small.

good luck with your season
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »
You'll adjust fairly quickly to another bow. Just make sure you have arrows and broadheads that fly well out of it. The brain is very adaptive. You may have to limit your shots when hunting to a closer range.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
It stinks, but bows just break every once in a while. I have had several break over the years and it is always a heart breaking, gut wrenching event!

Good luck getting situated with a new bow and good luck on the hunting season!

Bisch

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 05:15:00 PM »
Yep and it happens at the least opportune time.  I had a bamboo backed osage bow I'd built for an elk hunt and had it come apart a few days before we left.  Ended up shooting the bow from the year before and taking a nice cow.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
Get a new bow asap. I'd contact the bowyer to give heads up.  It depends on who they are though...some are gracious and helpful to used owners and some will give cold shoulder, you'll just have to see.  Glad you didn't get hurt.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
"Everything put together by man, sooner or later falls apart." I read that somewhere.

Regardless, sorry for your loss.  I agree with others.  Pick up your other bow, or buy a different one, and shoot it.  Switching bows shouldn't affect accuracy.  May take a day or two to adjust, but this isn't rocket science.

You didn't indicate where or how your bow broke, but here are a couple of things to watch out for.  Heat.  If the bow was left strung, or even unstrung, in the sun, a hot vehicle, etc., the glue bond can be weakened and the bow will delaminate, sometimes while at rest, others when it's drawn.  A long draw length on a short bow is asking for trouble.  Modern materials and designs have come a long way, but long draws on short bows put substantially more stress on the limbs.

Good luck.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©