3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5 pines farm 2013  (Read 11821 times)

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5 pines farm 2013
« Reply #140 on: September 17, 2013, 12:24:00 AM »
I climbed up into the ladder and could tell right away there was too much of an east component to the wind. My wind check  powder was blowing directly east to west right in to the clover. No good.

Across the field ,inside a little opening I created as few years ago ,sits a stand in a cedar tree right at the edge where bluff starts to drop off. I very slowly and ever so quietly crossed over to it. Its called the Possum stand. Here it is in relation to the Dallas stand

Make a life, not a living

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: September 17, 2013, 12:26:00 AM »
Awesome... I'm up grading papers, so I hope this story will be done before I am!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: September 17, 2013, 12:33:00 AM »
I have been doing some intensive invasive species work on this end of the ridge. This summer when I was burning some large brush piles, I noticed some very large deer beds in the heavy cover I was leaving standing near the burn piles. The stand is about 40 yards north of where these beds lie. Its thick with blackberry bushes, dogwood, sumac and wild apple trees both crabs and big apples too.   I 'll go back up and snap some photos for you so you can see the stand site. I forgot to do that tonight.

I really pussy footed my way in to the stand barely making any noise at all. I was in the tree at 5 pm. The wind really dropped off and it got really quiet. I have had a really rough kind of head ache all day and I was sitting in the stand with my bow across my lap . Eyes closed doing some deep breathing exorcises trying to get rid of it. I heard the faintest crack of a stick from the direction of the deer beds. I quickly knocked an arrow and stood. He stepped out of the shadows under one of the apple trees at 25 yards distant. The sun made him just glow. I thought it's      Mr. X!!!!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: September 17, 2013, 12:44:00 AM »
The opening I created with a chain saw  a few years ago was now going to pay off. There was nothing between us except air. I felt confident about the shot having practiced with a broad head that very after noon at this very same distance. He was slightly quartering to when I began the draw and broadside when I hit anchor.

I wish I could say I make a perfect shot. I did not. I do not know what happened. At release I think he bolted forward and my shaft buried to the mid point in his hip! He didn't run! He stopped and then slowly walked out the opening of the clearing and was standing on the mowed firebreak! I was sick! Physically sick! He took a couple of steps and was behind some trees. I heard him cough. I thought I saw him go down but wasn't sure. I tried as quietly as possible to get my bino's out of my pack. I then search for 45 minutes  with them to find any part of him thru the screen of trees and grass and  I could not. I was heart broke. I thought what did you do? I was sure I had just wounded and lost a tremendous buck.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: September 17, 2013, 12:49:00 AM »
At 6 15 I couldn't take it any more. I slowly climbed down, knocked an arrow and made my way to the opening where I last saw him. I got to the opening and looked down the mowed trail. No buck , no blood!!

I felt like crying. Then I looked up and he was laying in the tall grass ! I pulled him only ten feet to take this photo

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: September 17, 2013, 12:54:00 AM »
He isn't Mr. X as Mr.X has double brows on both sides. This buck has only one double brow and the other is bladed. He is an amazing buck and I have not seen him prior to tonight.

I am one happy hunter

So now i will do some doe hunting and help some of my friends hopefully fill their tags too, The first of this seasons guests arrive this Friday!

I'll continue to post about my doe hunts and hopefully some of my trad buddies will increase the score card too!

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: September 17, 2013, 01:02:00 AM »
Very exciting.  Tagging out early (on a buck) can be bittersweet (Although, obviously I wouldn't hesitate a single second to tag out with that guy!).  It's still a lot of fun if you have friends to film and does to hunt!  Nice work! Nice buck! And thanks again for bringing all of this to us!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: September 17, 2013, 01:48:00 AM »
Great hunt in every aspect and a well deserved buck.  Very nice animal!  I'm glad he was right there waiting for you after descending from your stand.

Thank you for the efforts you bring to documenting the hunt for us.  I remember admiring your attention to detail in your hunting approach last year and it only seems to have gotten better.  I also admire your property management, habitat projects and herd management - improving the native habitat and keeping things in balance.  What a great working example of stewardship and hunting passion.  Kudos to you Jim!

Congratulations and thank you again.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: September 17, 2013, 02:38:00 AM »
Wow! I wasnt expecting that pic so soon. Awesome Buck.

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: September 17, 2013, 03:06:00 AM »
is that a bobcat shooting mechanicals?

awesome buck - well done!!
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Buckskin57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: September 17, 2013, 05:47:00 AM »
Great Hunt!Your preparation surely payed off.Beautiful Buck.Thanks for your time.
JEREMIAH 16:16 / BEAR SUPER KODIAK /GRAYLING GREEN.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: September 17, 2013, 05:53:00 AM »
Congratulations on a fine buck.  I had a feeling all your hard work was going to pay off early in the season.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: September 17, 2013, 06:00:00 AM »
All's well that ends well. But this ended REALLY well!
Nice goin', Jim. Sounds like a real roller coaster of emotions making for a GREAT day afield.

Beautiful Buck. Good mojo in that feather combo.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: September 17, 2013, 06:18:00 AM »
awesome stories and way to stick with it and taking us in your journey along thxs for sharing and beautiful buck!!!!now harvest some of those does
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: September 17, 2013, 06:20:00 AM »
Outstanding. Enjoying this whole thread.RC

Offline Bob Abeln

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: September 17, 2013, 06:24:00 AM »
Congrats Jim, that's a real dandy. So glad you found him. Just shows a person what can happen when deer jump the string. You must have hit the artery.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: September 17, 2013, 06:32:00 AM »
As is my pattern since you started doing this last year, this thread is the first thing I look at as I take my first sip of coffee in the morning.  I just about spit it out when I saw that picture this morning!  
Great looking buck Jim!  Congratulations buddy!  A very well deserved reward for all the work you put into your property.  I am so very happy for you!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: September 17, 2013, 06:41:00 AM »
Can't wait to hear the story.  Wonderful buck!
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: September 17, 2013, 06:51:00 AM »
:coffee:  That's fantastic.  Congratulations on a beautiful buck.  I'm enjoying my morning coffee reading about your hunts.  Keep em coming and good luck filling your doe tags.

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: September 17, 2013, 07:17:00 AM »
A very well deserved buck, after all the effort you put into your hunts. Congrats!    :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©