3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5 pines farm 2013  (Read 11843 times)

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5 pines farm 2013
« Reply #240 on: September 21, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
outing # 9 The Ivy Stand.

cold today, low 40's wind still out of the NW. I chose to hunt the Ivy stand. Andy shot a great doe out of this ladder last year.

Everyone knows where the yurt is by now. So the red line is my travel path up to the stand. Basically the same as last night except when you reach the hogback you turn left and work your way up to the middle ridge. The yellow line is the deer trail I am hunting. Then deer typically travel this contour on their was to heavy cover to bed which is the white area. The bedding area is a pointed bluff with very steep drop offs on three sides. It is covered in red cedars. It actually sits just across my East property line. My land is the only good access to it . So deer rarely get pushed out of it. Just after first light two does slipped by but they were in a sub trail deeper in the cover. Then  a bit later 2 more slipped by behind me. The next two hours pasted pleasently but no more deer were seen.

this is the ladder named for Andy.
its is in the oak on the right side of the frame

Make a life, not a living

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #241 on: September 21, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
Tremendous buck!  Life has been too busy to get on until this afternoon.  Keep it coming!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #242 on: September 21, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
I see you crossed the deer trail you're hunting. Any special precautions for that? I do it too, but fret about it. I don't bother with descenting sprays.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline RickE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #243 on: September 21, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
Great buck Jim!  Thanks for sharing all your hunts.  Good luck on the does!!  Rick.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #244 on: September 21, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
outing #10  AA lone wolf

The wind stayed out of the NW all day but not as strong as yesterday. I had been up top two sits in a row and it was time to hunt somewhere lower. I chose Apple Alleys Lone wolf.

its an easy walk up the driveway, past the Buddha , along the forage bean field and then in thru  some Sumac to the stand.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #245 on: September 21, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
this stand is in a new tree this year. I have had in at least 4 different trees by now and I think I finally have it narrowed down pretty well.

Last year when this stand was further up hill, I continually watched deer drop off the ridge and cut thru a slot next to three apple trees. The stand now hangs in that slot.

The food plot is at the top which is the northern end of the alley. Apple trees litter the center and line the edges of this old pasture. The large forage bean field is below. In the early season I will hunt this stand as long as there are apples on the trees, Then I won;t hunt it till late season when the deer come off the ridges and head down to the bottom field.

Tonight At 5 pm a deer dropped off the ridge to my left but was on a trail that eventually comes thru the brush behind me. I could hear its foot falls and was waiting for the snort.  It got closer than I thought it would  before it hit my scent stream. Two loud shorts and it reversed its direction of travel.

here is a view from the stand

Tonight's wind was opposite of last night's noisy wind. Tonight as the wind dropped off,it got quieter and quieter. you could hear a mouse fart at 50 yards. I heard a deer cough some where below me. I heard another munching apples above me. Later it sounded like a deer was gagging or chocking on something below me. Above me way up on inspiration point another deer was snorting at something. They were all around me yet I never laid my eyes on one! I  got down just at last light and stole my way home.

Unfortunately I have to leave town for two days tomorrow, so no hunting till at least this Tuesday.  i'd say its been a pretty good first week!

Offline Silvertip Marc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #246 on: September 21, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
This is awesome!!

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #247 on: September 22, 2013, 12:22:00 AM »
I would have to agree that it has been a pretty good first week... season for that matter!

Will keep the fire burning........    :campfire:

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #248 on: September 22, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »
Love it Jim.......looking forward to your return so the hunt may continue!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #249 on: September 22, 2013, 09:17:00 AM »
Just getting caught up on this one Jim, apparently I missed a bunch...what a great buck bud...congrats!!!!!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #250 on: September 22, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
"i'd say its been a pretty good first week!"

You bet!!!!

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #251 on: September 23, 2013, 11:45:00 PM »
:campfire:  

This adventure belongs on page 1....

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #252 on: September 24, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »
outing # 11  

The stand I chose to today doesn't have a catchy name yet so I call it what it is, Aspen over Clover

Up on my most northern border, a stones throw from the neighbor's barn I have a little clover field that is about the size of a softball diamond's infield.  The deer love to hit this field last thing before bed in the am or first thing in the afternoon. The  stand sits over a logging road on the upper end of the food plot and there are numerous trails that drop off the ridges onto it.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #253 on: September 24, 2013, 12:41:00 PM »
it was chilly this am with a very bright moon. No need again for any artificial light and I was in the tree well before pink light. The wind was in my face out of the S and light and variable. I was comfortably standing when I heard the first deer approach. Unfortunately It came down the neighbor's ridge and ended up behind and directly downwind of me. So much for a product called "dead downwind". Three snorts later it was bounding back up the ridge.

in this photo you can just make out the trunk of the Aspen the stand is hung in.

here is a closer view, Due to the slope of the hill the stand is not very far over a deer's head should a  deer come down the logging on the stands imediate left ( when in the stand and facing forward that is)

sorry for the blur in the center of most of my pictures, its evident I have some how scratched the lens.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #254 on: September 24, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
At 8 am I was lost in thought. My head was not in the game. You see a friend of mine died in his sleep Saturday evening. he was young (  just 51)with no symptoms of any problems and we are all in a state of shock. I was thinking about him, his wife and the kids.

Looking to my left I suddenly made out a small deer in the edges of the brush. It was softly stamping its left front leg. Apparently it had picked up something I had done. But being a fawn( it turns out) it was unsure what it had seen. A doe was suddenly directly below me on the logging road. it seemed aware of my presence, but did not look up and it slowly turned 90 degrees left and walked over the fawn. It was hers, they greeted each other by touching noses. Then the doe walked out in front me of me with the fawn trailing. The little one had its flag straight up and the adult was on alert. The wind was perfect, I did not move a muscle and they walked over the apple tree on my right and began picking up  some of the fallen fruit. The doe ate several and then she suddenly walked back in my direction and stood directly in the middle of the my shooting lane below.

But she was at a slight quartering to me angle and her head gave me indication she was looking directly under my tree. Any movement on my part would surely send her flying. So I watched her and the fawn for awhile and then they went off to bed. I thought of how Tom will never get to see this again. He was a good man, and the world has lost something good with his passing.

Later walking up the road , I decided that I will try to kill the next doe I get a good chance at and dedicate her to his memory.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #255 on: September 24, 2013, 12:59:00 PM »
Great stuff Jim! Thanks for taking the time to walk us through your season.  That sure is beautiful country.

I lost my best friend and hunting buddy 3 years ago.  I miss him dearly.....every day.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #256 on: September 24, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about your friend Jim,  a tree stand is definitely a good place to sit back and reflect on those type of things.  I get a lot of my best thinking done while up in a tree.  During hunting season my wife will often ask "where you going?'
A common response is "need a little tree time"
Thanks for continuing to take us along and share your beautiful property.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #257 on: September 24, 2013, 05:52:00 PM »
Sorry for the loss of your friend Jim.  I think "Aspen over Clover" might need a new memor....and a new name.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #258 on: September 24, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
Sorry about your freind Jim. Maybe you could dedicate that stand "Tom's"  in his memory?

Good luck on a doe!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #259 on: September 24, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about your friend. I bet we see pics of a doe shot in memory. Good luck bud!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©