3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5 pines farm 2013  (Read 11857 times)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5 pines farm 2013
« Reply #260 on: September 24, 2013, 11:53:00 PM »
Sorry for your loss Jim that stand is a blessing, maybe you found a name for it.........

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #261 on: September 25, 2013, 05:52:00 AM »
That's a tough one, Jim. Sorry for your loss.
 Like the others have mentioned, a new stand name may come easier now.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #262 on: September 25, 2013, 11:39:00 AM »
outing #12

I'll let you know right now  this outing does not have a happy ending.

I decided last night I was going to kill a doe in Tom's memory. So the best place to go is apple alley. the food plot there is getting hammered by deer.

There are three stands up there and I chose the ladder that sits alongside an opening i created several years ago.

Make a life, not a living

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #263 on: September 25, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »
This is an old ladder stand one of the first I ever purchased and sits in the middle of 4 separate Aspens trunks. It looks out over the food plot to the south. It is without a doubt one of my very favorite places to sit on the entire farm. I always see deer here.

I got to the stand about 4 pm and the wind was light out of the SE. it wasn't long and the first deer were in the food plot.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #264 on: September 25, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
I could make out a smaller deer in the plot in the lower right. Clearly a fawn and it must have walked right under the hang on stand I hunted out of opening night. Then in walked the doe. But within a minute or two, her head shot up. She walked up the food plot in my direction. I was standing with my bow in my hand. She whirled and ran back in to the timber. Hmmmm. I reached into my pocket and pulled out few milk weed pod fibers and let then float out on the breeze. The wind had dropped off and they floated right out into the field! I hung up the bow trying to decide whether to move or not. I heard a deer walking in from my left. It was on the trail I wanted it to be. The thermal were now actually in my favor. I grabbed the bow off its hanger. The lone doe walked into the first shooting lane and stopped.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #265 on: September 25, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »
:coffee:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #266 on: September 25, 2013, 12:38:00 PM »
This ladder has a very narrow shelf upon which you stand. I hate it and have repeatedly told myself to replace it. So the doe is in that first opening on the left side of the frame above. My feet/toes are pointing right at her and I can't turn my shoulder toward the shot except for twisting at the waist. Of course I can't move now as she is too close. She looks up at me, and tilts her head back checking the air current. She doesn't make me  but she is hesitant to go forward. We play the old game, me my bow in front of me , her staring up at me, me with my eyes closed so we don;t make eye to eye contact.  Finally she starts to move forward. She steps into the next opening ( the blurred one) and I slowly draw my bow. I am twisted funny due to the fact I can't turn my feet and I am also bent at the waist. This puts the lower limb of my longbow in between my legs. At release I feel my lower limb tip strike the inside of my right knee cap. The arrow goes low and she explodes forward. I knew what happened had caused the shot to be off but still felt I had lucked out and heart shot her. She blew thru the food plot, the arrow dropped out and she ran into the timber. Within seconds it was quiet and I assumed the deer was down.

After 30 minutes I climbed down, walked out into the food plot and picked up the arrow. The front 4 inches were missing and there was meat packed into the broken carbon fibers of the shaft. I went over to the edge of the woods expecting to see her laying there. But she was not. I went in under the canopy and found the first drops of blood. Very bight red. She got onto a deer trail that runs the lower contour of  the ridge and she traveled right on the deer trail for 50 yards or so. Blood was easy to see. At the first deer trail intersection, I lost all blood sign. I assumed she would have turned downhill here and spent the next 45 minutes looking for blood in that direction. When I did not find any I returned to the trail intersection. The sun had now dropped behind the bluff. It wasn't dark but I was in the shadow so I turned on this little  120 lumen light I have for tracking. Instantly I saw blood going uphill! Not a good sign!

here is the path she ran.

The trail was still easy to follow . Twice where she stopped, she left a small pool of blood and one time it was filled with air bubbles. I followed her over the top of rattlesnake ridge and the blood began to get less. Finally after dark on the steep NW side of the bluff I lost it completely. After failing to find any further trace of her. I left it for the night and returned at first light today. I was only able to follow it another 25 yards and lost it when she crossed the fence onto the adjacent property. I did grid searches all morning but on a steep bluff that is very hard to do effectively. I did not find another drop of blood. I believe the arrow went thru the near arm and into her chest but only penetrated the closer lung. I am incredibly sad at the loss . When ever pain and suffering is inflicted needlessly to a living creature it is a very sad thing to me. I know what I do is very serious and I take full responsibility for it. I  have always tried my best to avoid these short comings by being the best hunter I can be. I hope this is the last time this ever happens but I fear that it won;t be.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #267 on: September 25, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »
Bummer Jim.  I wish there was something I could say to cheer you up.

I have been there and know others have also.  Keep at it!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Bob Abeln

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #268 on: September 25, 2013, 05:09:00 PM »
Hey Jim,
Sorry about your friend, may he rest in God's peace.

Sooner or later everybody will lose a deer, it's the ugly side of bowhunting. All you can do is shake it off and start over. Take care, Bob

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #269 on: September 26, 2013, 11:55:00 AM »
outing #13 back to Joel's stand

On a much happier and positive note than my last post I am happy to report that Godzilla has appeared for the first time on camera in over a year. Here he is last Friday in the apple alley food plot. I am fortunate enough to have my yurt graced with his sheds from last season.  He has 1 foot long g2S

This is the first ever day light photo of him!!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #270 on: September 26, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »
My good friend and bow hunting Mentor Dean AKA Bwana
arrived last night for a four day hunt. His brother Joel is to arrive some time tomorrow. Unfortunately these guys still use training wheels despite some 50 years of combined bow hunting experience. Perhaps I'll get them out shooting flu-flus with one of my recurves so I can post some pictures!

here is that stand's location again

I busted a deer just before reaching the stand and then my headlight caught the blinking eyes of a deer bedded right under the ladder as I got with 25 yards of the stand! A young doe and i believe it was the same one who came back three times! she just couldn't get enough of me I guess!! I had one other yearling pass behind me before it was time to head in to work.

it's going to get warm and windy this afternoon. Not quite sure where the best place to go is but I'll find somewhere!

Offline K2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #271 on: September 26, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
Jim is that Mr. X or another buck?  Thanks for taking us along.  Ken

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #272 on: September 26, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
That is Godzilla in the most recent post. Mr. X is dead . killed by my next door neighbor two nights after I killed my buck i caped the buck for him He weighed 225 hanging!

Offline K2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #273 on: September 26, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
Jim,  you have some nice bucks in your neck of the woods.  Congrats on a fine buck.  Hopefully, you have a chance at Godzilla next year. Ken

Offline K2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #274 on: September 26, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
Jim,  you have some nice bucks in your neck of the woods.  Congrats on a fine buck.  Hopefully, you have a chance at Godzilla next year. Ken

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #275 on: September 26, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
That deer walking away from Godzilla looks like a fairly big one also.  He looks WWWIIIIDDDEEEE!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #276 on: September 26, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
yes that buck will be a good one next year too, he is surely an up and comer!

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #277 on: September 26, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
Great to see Godzilla on the property!!!

:campfire:

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #278 on: September 26, 2013, 05:33:00 PM »
Wow, nice deer, I like him better than mister X...lol! As usual ,great coverage of your season so far.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Chuck Janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #279 on: September 26, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
Hello Jim, hope all is well, Sorry to hear about your freind. It has been a year of way to many funerals. Prayers sent your way. Glad to see you are getting to the woods and seeing deer. I hope you know there are probly tons of readers here that wish they could be doing what you are doing. So in a way you are hunting for us also.
 I have just been cleared to start drawing my bow again. So I will be heading south to Viola this weekend to see what I can do. At least check the Cameras and get a look at who has been walking the woods. Will send pictures your way next week upon my return.
 Have a great weekend and thank you for taking the time to share your time in the woods.
Life at it's Longest is Short

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©