3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5 pines farm 2013  (Read 11785 times)

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5 pines farm 2013
« Reply #480 on: November 15, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »

and this last one may be a 4.5 year old

too bad i forgot to reset the date and time when I loaded in new batteries 1-9-12 is actually 11-12-13.

jay is coming back tonight so hopefully we will  have action this weekend.
Make a life, not a living

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #481 on: November 15, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
outing #65 Haybale.

The last two nights, while chain sawing invasive Buck thorn up behind the yurt, I could see numerous deer down by the hay bale.There were 11 last night and 7 the night before. So over lunch my wife said " I think you better hunt in the bale, don't you?" Well what could I say to that?

I got in the bale about 2 :30. Very warm compared to this am. The predicted high was 53! 4 pm came and went and then suddenly out the side window stood a small doe with her first fawn. Even had I wanted to shoot her it wouldn't happen as she never came closer than 20 yards. She and her baby fed on the waste beans and after if was too dark to see them clearly. I made a few small noises to chase them off. Nothing else showed.

Hoping the forecast is wrong . 80% chance of rain to morrow and 60 % the next!

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #482 on: November 15, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »
You have way to much fun Jim  :)

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Chuck Janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #483 on: November 16, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »
Thank you Jim, just now able to catch up here. Congrats at filling the doe tag with a great doe. Nice mount also of a great buck. I spent the last 2 weeks with my sons in the woods. Some oppertunities past and some misses regreted. Including one on the larget/oldest buck I have ever seen in the wild.
Take care
Life at it's Longest is Short

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #484 on: November 16, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »
outing #66  Joel's stand.

The forecast called for rain by 10 am. They nailed it!  It was one of those mornings when it seemed like it was grey light forever! It was like the sun never came up.

I heard the first deer coming along a trail from the south and slightly above my stand. Twin fawns came by at a fast walk. For the next 45 minutes I leaned my right shoulder against the big tree and watch intently in that direction.  A noise behind me to the North suggested I'd better turn my head. Darn , 2 mature does at 10 yards! They caught the movement or my scent or both and were going in the reverse direction in a split second.

At 9 am I spotted another doe below me in the creek bottom. It came out, crossed the road below me and headed up in my direction. It was a no show tho. I lost sight of it in the prairie grass and never did figure out where it went.

The rain moved in  and I moved out. It rained and rained and rained me out of the afternoon hunt.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #485 on: November 20, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »
Good Hunting Jim,  How has it been since the Pumpkin army moved in?

Looking forward to you trying to fill doe tag 2.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #486 on: November 21, 2013, 03:46:00 PM »
Glad to hear you are seeing some deer! They seemed to have vanished up here! I have 3 patches of woods that were not gun hunted and have not seen any deer or got any pics since last weekend! May have to head to Iowa to fill my doe tag this weekend! lol.
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #487 on: November 21, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »
Hey guys. I have been down with a horrible flu bug since last weekend. I last hunted last Sunday but there was not much to post about.

We have an upstairs corner room with large windows that over look the back food plots and old pasture hillsides. I have been seated there each after noon and I am happy to report that as of Tuesday this week the afternoon deer movement has been amazing. There have been deer all over the hill sides and in the food plots. So If at all possible I should be in the squirrel stand tomorrow afternoon.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #488 on: November 21, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
Best of luck Jim.  I hope you get to feeling better!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #489 on: November 21, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
Hope you feel better......get after'em!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Chuck Janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #490 on: November 21, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
Hey there Jim, hope you are feeling better and able to sit and wait for the doe to give you a oppertunity. Dress warm for the weekend if you get out. take care,
Life at it's Longest is Short

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #491 on: November 22, 2013, 07:34:00 AM »
Get better. I admire your dedication to the hunt. Hot water and Honey will cure anything.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #492 on: November 22, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
outing #69!  Squirrel's tail

The last 6 days have been hell. With a nasty respiratory flu knocking me on my butt and deer parading up and down the hills behind the house i was one miserable old man!

But finally today I felt like I could sit a stand and only by going out would i know if I could keep my coughing to a minimum.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #493 on: November 22, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
On Tuesday and Wednesday I sat in the upper room and watched as 20 plus deer each night came off the ridge above this stand and ended up in the forage beans behind the house or in the picked Ag beans in front of the house. Last night the number of deer slacked off quite a bit, but still there were plenty to watch. Today at 1 pm I looked out the kitchen window and spotted deer in the apple trees just below the stand. While I watched and tried to figure out how to get up there with out scaring everything off, the buck did it for me. He got a little randy and pushed all three does over on to the CRP field and then eventually all four ran up into the timber.

I took that as my signal and quickly dressed and headed out the door. Having been quite ill these past few days, I took my time going up the steep hillside. The stand sits above where this trail and many others like it start.

There are about a dozen crab apples trees in among the regular ones and they still are holding a lot of fruit.

You can see why the deer are still attracted to them!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #494 on: November 22, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »
Much has changed since I last sat here. You can now see all the way and down the ridge. That's good and bad as I often wonder how many deer are laying on the ridges and watch me walk up to a spot. Likewise I can see them  when they are moving now a lot earlier than just a couple of weeks before.

Nothing was bumped that I know of and once at the stand I added some additional layers of wool. I struggled with the urge to cough and a few escaped my chest. But after a bit I seemed to settle in and waited anxiously for the action to begin.

A pair of Pileated wood peckers entertained me for the first hour. Soon the low angle of the sun gave away two deer below me just on the edge of the timber. I have no idea how they got there. They were feeding on fallen fruit and eventually fed out of sight as they headed further on down the hill. I thought to myself, better get ready its going to happen any minute. About 30 minutes later I looked down to my right and a single doe was on the trail that would give me a 15 yard shot. She was about 40 yards away and was focused on the food below. This gave me a chance to grab the bow and to slide my hand muff out of the way of the bow string. She was standing there staring down the hill towards the forage beans. Come on I was thinking. Suddenly she turned 90 degrees and just headed straight on down there! I thought never mind ,she is just the first of many more to come. And that's what I kept thinking right up until it was time to go. It was good to get out!

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #495 on: November 22, 2013, 08:17:00 PM »
Glad your feeling better!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #496 on: November 22, 2013, 09:03:00 PM »
:campfire:  finally all caught up now that i am taking a little hunting break.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #497 on: November 23, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »
Glad to see you back at it Jim...........

:coffee:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline amazonjim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #498 on: November 23, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
Love the story, just shows me I didn't do that bad this year.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #499 on: November 23, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
Jim,

I am glad that you are back on your feet, Stay after them my friend.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©