3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5 pines farm 2013  (Read 11787 times)

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5 pines farm 2013
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
Thanks, and back atcha!!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Good luck in the a.m.!
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
I'll think of you in the morning while in my tree in the morning.  Good luck.
T ZZZZ

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
You got a little slice of heaven there Jim, enjoy and good luck!

Eric

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
I'll think of you in the morning while in my tree in the morning.  Good luck.
T ZZZZ

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »
Heck yeah, I'll be following this.  Gotta see how a fellow lefty does.  When your season winds down, I gotta pick your brains a little bit about food plots.  We had the same problem with no rain since the first week of August.  Until today, that is.  Got a half inch of rain.  Hopefully some of the seeds that didn't germinate yet will take hold.

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2013, 11:26:00 PM »
Shoot straight my friend!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2013, 01:07:00 AM »
Good luck I cant wait for the rest of the season

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2013, 07:20:00 AM »
Good luck!  Hope that cold front we got is in your neck of the woods!   Only 45 here right now.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2013, 08:45:00 AM »
Good Luck Jim, I will check back! Hope you didnt shoot Mr. X.  lol I would hate for you to be done this early. he he he.

I know weather wise its a beautiful morning out there.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »
Opening morning in Minnesota and I'm heading to the library to do homework!  Good luck this fall, I sure enjoyed your thread last year.

But wait...no update...maybe you're busy dragging out that big one...   :thumbsup:

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
Go Jim! Thanks for this!

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
Come on Jim! I'm pulling for you to let an arrow loose!
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2013, 02:35:00 PM »
outing #1

Hard to believe how cold it got last night. I had to light a fire in the yurt! I decided to hunt a trail that runs East/West along the upper ridge. This trail is one of the most defined deer trails on the whole farm.  Here is an image of my route to the spot
Make a life, not a living

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »
It took me longer than I had hoped to make it the tree stand. The sky had that orange tinge to it just above the horizon as I stepped on to the plat form. The stand has been slightly moved down the trail from where it sat last season. This is the 3rd different tree I have placed it along this trail. Still not sure if its the perfect tree but based upon the numbers of deer that went past me today, I think I am getting close.

here is the tree it is in now.

and here is the trail it overlooks

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »
If I am sitting in the stand I am facing north. Over my right shoulder and up hill about 65 yards is the Buddha food plot. To my left the trail comes out of my neighbor's cow pasture. On the other side of the pasture is a corn field. This hill side is covered in shag bark hickories and red and white oaks. We had a lot of rain in June so despite the current drought the mast crop isn't too bad. I was thinking the deer might head in from the corn, wander around feeding on mast before heading down the steep bluff to the bedding area below me.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
Shortly after 1st light I looked over my right shoulder up towards the food plot. Through the foliage I can see into the plot. It sort of glows lime green. I spotted deer legs moving now and again. I kept watch in that general direction but heard a slight noise to my left. A big doe was coming down the logging road that passes to the left of tree and a 2nd was trailing her about 30 yards behind. As I slowly turned to get ready my harness caught some hickory bark ( they don't call it shag bark for no reason) the doe heard that and jumped to her left but then stopped at about 15 yards out. She was at full alert. The 2nd doe stopped dead in her tracks. They both became statues for next 5 minutes and then slowly but stiff legged walked away from me to the west.

15 minutes later I see a doe and fawn moving along the fence line west of me about 75 yards away.

Not 10 minutes goes by and I hear a deer walking towards me again from the direction of the food plot. Another solo doe , this one a little smaller. The wind was slight but out of the south and as she entered my shooting lane, her head went back and her nose went up! Busted! . She whirls but only goes a couple of paces and turns around. Stands there, doing the old head bob looking directly up and at me. I don't move a muscle. Eventually she begins to move forward towards me. She wants to head past me and swings just wide enough that an easy shot disappears . She gives me a 20+ yards shot and I decide to let her pass.

15 minutes later I hear once again the foot falls of a deer. Coming my way is a spike buck still in velvet. He steps in to the shooting lane and his nose goes up. Except he just stands there scenting the air and looking up at me but my camo is working and he is not catching enough scent to spook and he gradually moves on by.

After enough time I went by, I slowly turned and removed a wool vest and fleece hat from my pack. I had begun to shiver and was no where near ready to leave. After putting on the additional clothing , I decided to sit for a bit and hung the bow on a branch.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
So I am sitting there when again I hear a deer coming down the hill on my left. I look that way and a button buck is coming right at me. I stand up ever so slowly , as I can hear a 2nd deer approaching as well. My hands are in my pockets and the bow is hanging on a limb. I don't dare breath as the 2nd deer is going to go right under me. As it does I look down and see that it's the mom and she is a great big fat one at that.! So there is the shot, but I can't move to grab the bow as she is too close. 5 yards 6 yards from the tree, she stops and looks up at me but once again doesn't make me out. She starts to move forward and as her head goes behind a tree I grab the bow. But its too late, the angle is wrong and she is not going to come back. The button buck goes right thru the center of my shooting lane as he quickly follows his Momma.

A few minutes later another doe comes down and goes past me at around 30 yards.

So that is nine deer in about 1 and 1/2 hours of tree stand time! 30 minutes later deer #10 is spotted below me heading to bed, where she came from I have no idea.

By now it is 10 am and the sun is high enough that it is hitting me right in the face so its time to go. The forecast calls for a south wind all day. After a nap and a snack I'll need to decide on my evening spot.

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »
Sounds like a great first morning!  I've got another two weeks so I'll hunt along with you Jim!
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©