3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many stands do you maintain??  (Read 2567 times)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
How many stands do you maintain??
« on: August 31, 2013, 07:27:00 AM »
Just curious as to how many sets do you have set for the season. I am talking treestands and pop-up blinds and ground blinds? I have just started doing stands this year due to the humidity it is rough going. My bud(Meat)and I have 63 stand sites we maintain. We are adding at least 3 more this year so we will have 66 stand locations. Most now have treestands that we have purchased over the years but we now have several ladders and two pop-up blinds thrown in to the mix. So I ask, How many stands do you folks maintain each year?? Thanks! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many stands do you maintain??
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 07:41:00 AM »
Only tree stands for whitetails for me. I maintain far fewer than I used too.  The number for me this year will be 3-4 on my 120 acre hunting area.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 07:58:00 AM »
I have 32 on one 137 acre piece. I can hunt most areas on the property in any wind. Shawn
Shawn

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 08:06:00 AM »
My buddies and I run about 30 on 700 or so acres on our part of the lease.  Sometimes we never hunt a stand all year.

We also have 8 climbers/ mobile loc-ons.  

If it was up to me,  we would go down to about 10 and 10
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 08:14:00 AM »
Usually 5 good tree stand locations on my 75 acres and that includes 500 acres of state. 2 ground blinds right now. I usually move stands through out the season as warranted.However, Iv' killed the last two bucks from the ground while still hunting.It's looking like 5 on the state land this year and two on my land as far as tree stands go.Early season will find me scouting and hunting from the ground. Shawn, i would think 60 some stands would cover it.!   :saywhat:
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 08:17:00 AM »
I must be in the minority as I have one climber that I use on four different spots.  I have been thinking about a ladder stand as well, but that would be the end of it.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »
I have 4 stands setup on 120 acres, however I will move these sometimes to a couple of different spots based on the time of the season.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 08:35:00 AM »
I own 80 and have permission on about 120. I have 8 ladders and 12 hangons spread out. I mainly set things for any north wind. I then use my 2 Lone Wolfs with sticks as my roamers for when our predominant wind direction changes. I found that 20 sets was all I could maintain.
Mike Davenport

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 08:35:00 AM »
by maintain do you mean a stand is in that tree? or lanes cut out for a stand or ground blinds  etc ? ... stands in a tree I have 5-7 on a normal year...places picked out without a preset stand I normally have 10-15 more that I have scouted and made notes of...
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline r-man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
I have mine marked on a map by google earth, it is the only way I can remember the hundreds of stand sites, I have a bad memory.
Randy

Offline modr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
Have 13 hang on's up and 5 more to go, will move some of these throughout the season and also use my climber.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »
3 between my father-in-law and me.  They are all placed in really high traffic areas.  These are the meat getting places when you don't care what you get but want to shoot something.  Your just about guaranteed to see 3-8 deer each morning and afternoon from these stands and would get a deer within range about every 2-3 days.  The rest of the time is hunting from the ground.  I'm thinking of buying 3 more so we can have a total of 6 after this season when they go on sell again.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 09:08:00 AM »
7+ a climber on the 40 acres that I hunt most.  Other than that I use my climber or throw together a quick ground blind when I hunt other areas.

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 09:19:00 AM »
I hunt a bunch of farms in one area mostly. I have nine treestands and I usually have them all up by the end of the season.   :archer2:
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 09:23:00 AM »
Haven't been off the ground since about '73. However this past off season I bought 2 ladder stands and a pop-up, have the ladders up and ready to go. Not sure if I'll use the pop-up.
Hap

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
My son and I have two climbers and two ladders, one pop up blind.  We're going to make some natural blinds this year.  When Big Jim was at the TBOF we purchased two of his ground hunter seats.     :archer:
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
I've been all over the place on this.  Ive hunted entire seasons taking a climber in and out and Ive hunted places where I maintained 20 or more stand set ups.  I will tell you this, though.  I'm a better hunter when I use fewer stands and am more mobile.  When there are a lot of stands to choose from I tend to rely on them rather than scout for active and current sign.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »
17 all told. That includes my 4 Double Bull blinds.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
Zero. I really wish I would have started ground hunting years ago and could have all the money back I spent on stands.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
I mean stands that are in the tree or on the ground. We actually have 47 stands in tress and than another 10-12 brackets that I used to use exclusively, some ladders and a couple pop-up blinds. I also have a few wooded permenent stands as well. I invite guys to hunt sometimes and I try to have them sit a fresh stand, we definitely have some stand that may not get sat for a year or two but we keep them cut out and ready. We once figured we had over 500 treesteps out there. I have lost a bit of property and now have about 7-800 acres in several different spots. At one time I was up to 102 maintained stand sites. I am getting old!!   :bigsmyl:  Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©