3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many stands do you maintain??  (Read 2566 times)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many stands do you maintain??
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
Gregg, I also keep 3 Chippewa wedge-loc stands handy and a set of LW climbing sticks for any in season moves but I have most of the ground covered so rarely does sign appear where there is not a huntable stand. I have some stands that are in funnels where there are 3-4 stand within 80 yards of each other so I can hunt that spot in any wind. We have a set-up called the golden triangle in my bow only area that all 3 stands can be seen from the other and are no more than 70 yards apart. I myself have killed over 35 deer from these 3 stands in the last 10 years or so. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
Right now I have 5 climbers and 4 hang ons. I don't maintain any of them, they are all back behind my house in the National Forest on the ground locked to tree trunks.

I hunt about 1000 sq acre section (that's about as far as I can walk and hunt) and spread the stands out so I can go by an pick one up to hunt  a certain area. That way I don't have to carry stands a long ways.

I have one really light hang on (Loc On Limit) that is on the main route I take so I can pick it up to hunt any place out of the way.

I don't hunt the same spot twice very often..move around a lot.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
I have some ground blinds but my stand  is on my back in and out everyday. I hunt public land so it is what it is.....
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
And a ground blind that might make it out

Offline Roughrider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
two o three out at this time, will have about 15 - 20 up at any one time, move them around, probably 50 - 100 locations throughout the season for my wife and I and a few guests and clients.  Sometimes more, sometimes less. I think we have about 20 Lonewolfs, six double bulls, and eight ladder stands,and a few old odds and ends for hang ons if all the lone wolfs are out.
Dan Brockman

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »
Right now between myself and the old man we have 8.I am always scouting in the off season and looking for new sites.I have one ladder stand and 3 trees rigged for my treesaddle.I wish I would have started with a tree saddle a long time ago.Treesteps are cheaper than stands and move easier.Even better when. You get them at Walmart on clearance for a buck a piece.I'also have cheap climbing sticks from Dick's as well that I use.Also have a strap on stand that I use sometimes.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline coyote30

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 07:17:00 PM »
6 stands and 3 blinds.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
5 stands on 37 acres and lone wolf climber to be mobile.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline nj hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2013, 08:47:00 PM »
My father has about 15 set up scattered around... I just have one up that I seen some deer at last year but no shots. Of course he shares some stands with me and I moved my 1 to try for a better chance but more is always better.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
I have about 9 hang on stands, 10-12 stick ladders, four ladder stands, pop up blind and hand climber.  I was hunting 3 properties with about 30 identified and prepared trees for hang ons.  80, 40, and 10 acres. I use only 16 or 20'sick ladders for my hang ons and in trees that don't work with a climber. I have started to only put up the sticks in a lot of spots now.  I now hang about  5 stands in spots I know I will hunt a good amount because they can be good all season or if the tree is hard to set a carry in stand in the dark. I then set another 6-8 sticks that I will hunt with my lone Wolf assault. That is so easy to pack in and set that I use it more and more.  It is easier to do a quick location change when I don't have to pull a stand to move the stick. Each hang on spot ideally has at least 3 other close spots 50-75 yd away,reasonably ready to go.  I rotate these spots to keep the survivors guessing year to year. If I am off the mark a little I can quickly move a stick ladder.  I some times set additional stands on stick ladders if the spot heats up and I want to work it more. Ladders go where I hunt all day hunts and want extra comfort, where even a sick ladder doesn't work and now where the kids could hunt or go along on a hang on off the side of the ladder.  Pop up and climber go where I need to be as things change. I try to trim areas around good climber spots.  I only hang a stand in a good climber spot of it is a spot that can't take the noise of climbing due to how close the deer are likely to be.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
I don't have any. I use to but always found myself on th ground so I gave them away one by one.
My dad showed me ground hunting using nautral blinds and to be honest just never got into tree stands. I bought two when I started finding my own places to hunt, and did harvest a few deer from them, but I hunted public land alot and it was just a pain.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2013, 11:41:00 PM »
I maintain about 20 on a 700 acre lease and 4 that are in various tracts of public land.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2013, 11:44:00 PM »
Two.  I tried a hang-on back in 2006 after I had knee surgery and it worked so well I added a second one (a ladder this time) for this year.  ;-)

Spend much more time in a stand than on foot lately.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2013, 12:15:00 AM »
One, I hunt out of a climber.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2013, 12:41:00 AM »
I use a climber. But hunt 100% public land and have about 400 stand sites stored in my gps from all the different tract of land I hunt.
I love Bow Hunting

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2013, 04:44:00 AM »
None...seems the less stands I 'maintain'....the more deer I kill. Just like when I use to fish the bass tourny trails...the less tackle in my boat, the more money I won.      :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
anywhere between 5-10 depending on where i am hunting that year, at this moment only have 5 up but plan to ground hunt more then stand this year.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
I use a climber and have gotten pretty creative with it. I do not like leaving stands up for fear that someone will steal them. However I do keep two hang on stands up year round along a field edge. The wind is pretty constant here in our part of the world. Any deviation from the normal is not a problem and I have trees that I use when the wind changes.

Offline DeerBacon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
2 hang on stands and a climber for back up. The climber is a little tricky with long bows.
" I got a new bow for my wife, It was the best trade I ever made! "

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©