3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many stands do you maintain??  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many stands do you maintain??
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
I just got in from cutting out stands and preparing another site. We did 16 this morning and found another spot to place one more. I used to worry about stands being stolen but now because we know all the hunters on surrounding property and try to work with them keeping people out we lose very few. One stolen in the last 5 years. I wish stuff was not so expensive as I have a lot more areas that could use stands.Just makes life easier than having to set-up during the season. Putting together a few more ladder stands right now, my wife is just laying out all the pieces and labeling so we can get them together real quick. Shawn
Shawn

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
4 ground blinds and one hang on.  Thinking of adding another hang on or two.  But I really like hunting from the ground best.  I get so darned bored in a tree.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »
I only have a 65 acre tract. I maintain 3 ladder stands, 2 natural ground blinds, and 1 lock on stand. I have a couple more natural ambush spots that are not maintained.
Sam

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »
The piece we did this morning is only 42 acres and we have 16 stands on it and we are putting up two more. I started this to see if guys take advantage of having enough stands to hunt all the winds and any spot on their property at anytime. I believe most could have more and take advantage of being able to hunt the same spot but with a different wind, if that makes sense. Shawn
Shawn

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »
I totally understand you guys having all the spots for winds and all. But it really boils down to us that dont have the private owned or leased lands and having money to buy all those stands to put up in the first place. To each his own. I have no way to justify or afford it. My hats off to ya. Better off than me financially . I wish I was in a situation like that.  Enjoy it..     :thumbsup:
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Online doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by RedShaft:
I have some ground blinds but my stand  is on my back in and out everyday. I hunt public land so it is what it is.....
Same here, I carry a Lone Wolf stand with climbing sticks in and out whenever I go hunting on public hunting grounds. Not easy but helps to keep me in shape.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
I buy stands at the end of the season. I get 2 for $40 and use my Dicks bucks and my 10 off of $50 or more and a lot of times I can get 4 stands for a total of about $60 out of pocket. I have accumalated these over the last 15 years or so and many are still in excellent shape, just replace the rachet straps every few years. I also buy screw in steps for a buck at end of season at Wally world and the like. Do not have a ton of money invested. I do have lots of private land to hunt and I get it by just asking and asking and asking. I do not lease any property, I have but not anymore. Shawn
Shawn

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
Thanks I will keep my eye open end of season. One thing I would stress to you to look into. Those cables. After a year or two take them off and replace with chain. Those cables are not the best on them stands. That is for anyone who reads this. Good advice I got years ago.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline PUDDLE JUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »
I have several but I don't like to hunt the same spots often outside the rut. Most of my hunting is definitely moving towards more ground hunting.

I will be strictly on the ground this year. In the future I see my stand hunting being a specialized type of set where it is the only option.

I am much more likely to use a stand with a canoe.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2013, 10:54:00 AM »
Well this may be a bit of topic and long but I think it applies some  to this thread and hunting in general.

I hunt regularly as i please on four private properties, but only set stands on 3.  Only one I own and it is the smallest and just some low land hunting ground I got with a friend real cheap years ago. I wish i didn't have that sometimes.  I hunt as a guest on some others as well.  You don't have to own private land or lease it to hunt it,  but it does take some effort to find.

Often a large public tract is better than a small private one.  Hunting pressure in my area is just as high on private as public.

Most times buying enough land to have quality hunting is not practical. You can buy a lot of gas and travel hunt DIY in some great places for the cost of just taxes on a decent size property.

Unfortunately in my area land sizes are not so big and cover types such that you can do much stalking without running everything off or messing up others hunting the same area.

A back injury and several surgeries keeps me from setting still long so for me being able to move a bit more and stand leaning back on a tree tucked in good cover in a tree is almost a necessity if I am going to hunt longer hours. I used to hunt as much or more from the ground as a stand back 15 years ago.

So there are a lot of factors that dictate how and where I hunt.  So how to do it with limited budget?  Well life is about choices and balancing needs and wants.  There are a whole lot of people who make as much or more than I do and only have more bills than I do to show for it.  That is because we define need a lot different and go about getting our wants a lot different

I have been accumulating hunting equipment over 38 years.  I sell stand stuff i don't like and scrap stuff when not safe. I buy all my new stuff after season at deep discount. I get a stick ladder or two a year at the local Meijer's stores when they are on clearance and then have a 15% of general merchandise day when you use you store credit card.  For hard to find items I go new and use cabela points I save from putting everything I can on the card and paying it off every month.  I get stands of Craigs list and other places if they are the kind I like.  One of my lone Wolf stand came from the auction site in the box used once 1/3 retail.  The lone Wolf climber over half off from this site.

My waterfowl stuff takes up more space than my bow hunting stuff. I got all that mostly used from internet.

Times are tough and the bills add up, but you can do a lot on a budget if you do a little at a time, take care of your stuff,  get good deals, have a great budget minded wife, and make sacrifices in spending areas. We don't go to bars, don't eat out much, gave up smoking years ago, no cable tv, used cars,smaller paid for house that is not as large or fancy a many people in and below my income have. The kids are trained to have some garage sale stuff like things they grow out of fast and not to expect every new thing the other kids all have like cell phones and so on. We don't know what is currently in fashion

I put my disposable time, effort, and limited finance to work hunting local, but others do the same kinds of stuff to travel hunt.

If you want to do a lot of hunting and still cover the family needs and plan for the future, you have to make some choices and do some work.

Took a long time to write this on the smart phone my employer provides me. You know how many stands and other stuff you can get for the cost of one of those and a year of a data plan?
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »
Well said Todd, I am very budget minded and as you said if you shop smart and give up a few things, you can put more towards your hunting. I always try and save a buck so I amy use it towards my hunting stuff! Shawn
Shawn

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
My family owns and I hunt 160 acres. I have 2 climbers and 8 hang ons. I very seldom use the climbers. The hang ons will all be in the woods at some point. Many times I will have 3 stands within 100 yds of each other to take advantage of the widn and terrain. I pick up additional stands and sticks when they are on sale and reduced shipping. I end up with stands that have climbing sticks and stands for under $50 each.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2013, 04:58:00 PM »
I was surprised by the stands some folks have and that would be nice to have. I hunt private and some public land. When I'm not on the ground I have one stand a hang on that I always carry in and usually carry out. I may leave it in a tree for a morning/evening hunt from the day before. So use to it and really easy to hang up. I don't hunt the same areas but a time or two.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »

3 on 12 acres and 1 on 21 acres. I use the climber moreso on the 21 acres, but there aren't many trees there after the clearcut roughy 10 years ago. The 3 are on my father's 12 acre plot where he lives. They are positioned to take advantage of varying winds. Two are metal and one of treated wood. The loner on the 21 acres is wood.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
I hunt on about 120+/- acres or so that's mostly fields with a creek and a couple of small(3 acre?) woodlots and a cedar thicket. I hunt out of three ladder stands and a lock-on stand with climbing sticks. So that's 4 tree stands plus I have a pop-up blind which I use as a mobile and I sometimes hunt from a makeshift ground blind whenever the opportunity presents itself or I'm short on time. Finally, I have an old steel Summit Climber that I use on other farms whenever I'm invited to hunt somewhere else.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
Keep it coming folks. I like to see how others utilize their property. I put up another ladder today. It is on a field edge. I never really cared for ladder stands but I can get them for $40 and they go up to 15ft. Pretty nice stands too. I only used the top section and one piece of ladder cause the amount of cover. I am about 10 ft. up but am concealed very well, I cut a bunch of pine boughs and tied them a few ft. out n front of the stand in a v shape and i will definitely not get picked from this spot. It over looks alfalfa and clover. I asked the owner and he will not do another cutting this year so it should be awesome early season!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
No one else?? I put up another today. It was a freebie, a bud gave it to me and 5 screw in steps! He has been lurking on here and saw this post!!  :bigsmyl:  Good Guy!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
I have 4 loc ons I set in funnels for the rut. Two ground blinds on oak ridges and I use my Summit bushmaster hunting around public land on feed trees.
 Like Shawn I picked up all my loc ons at a late season discount. I have about 100 bucks in all four together.RC

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
I've got 3 hang-ons,and have had as many stolen,that I leave out pretty much in the same trees every year and use a LW climber for getting up all the others.End up finding new climber trees every year,can't seem to have too many.Have some blow downs I'll sit in now and then,especially if it's windy.

« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2013, 03:21:00 AM »
I have one ladder stand that I put up so no one else will crowd me out of my natural blind where I sit in my Huntmore.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©