3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ron LaClair's Longhunter shirt  (Read 5671 times)

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ron LaClair's Longhunter shirt
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2007, 12:05:00 AM »
Ron,
I understand that the shirts must be washed in cold water and not put in dryer.... Man I did that as a teenager to my favorite wool sweater.
gave as a new born gift.....

If I was to put one in the dryer, how many sizes would it shrink....?

Thinking of getting a much laerger one to get it down to XL..
Thanks
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »
I've never tried to shrink one so I don't know how much it would shrink if you washed it and put it in a dryer.   :confused:

Check with Paul Brunner (8th Dwarf) he's probably got more experience with that kind of thing.    :rolleyes:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2007, 04:48:00 PM »
Seems that everyone has had experience with the 25oz. gray shirt. Anyone out there had experience with the 18 oz brown shirt. Don't mind waiting for the gray but might go with the brown if someone is able to compare the two or at least comment. Thanks for your help.

Offline highnoonhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2007, 11:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kingstaken:
Ron,
I understand that the shirts must be washed in cold water and not put in dryer.... Man I did that as a teenager to my favorite wool sweater.
gave as a new born gift.....

If I was to put one in the dryer, how many sizes would it shrink....?

Thinking of getting a much laerger one to get it down to XL..
Thanks
I shrunk mine by washing it by accident on the warm/hot washer setting, and I had it set for the extended cycle, trying to wash out some smoke. Anyway, I forgot to change it to the cold. It shrunk about one whole size. And I line dryed it after washing it, so I would dare think how many sizes it would shrink in the dryer!

hnh
Member: Christian Bowhunters of America
Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America
International Internet Leathercrafters' Guild, Inc.
-
Holmes Mongoose reverse handle longbow. 63" 63@28
Longriver Longbow: 69" 69@28
Kolometz Kustom Longbow 66" 76@28

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »
I know Highnoon, but yout thought Ron's regular one is warm.... Just think how warm one would be shrunk two or even three sizes...the knit would be so tight...ya baby......  :clapper:  
The problem is I'd be by the machine opening the door every 60 seconds to make sure a XXXXL didn't go to a childs size 14..   :eek:
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline DeanD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2007, 07:42:00 AM »
Just another positive note on the heavy wool version.  Got mine at Christmas and have hunted several times in low 20's/high teens with nothing but a T-Shirt and a mock turtle neck underneath.  Only things cold were my hands.  Great shirts.  Very comfortable for walking and shooting.  No binding when you draw.  

Thanks, Ron.

Dean
“…perhaps our grandsons, having never seen a wild river, will never miss the chance to set a canoe in singing waters…glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in.”

-Aldo Leopold

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »
I just got a sample shirt in today made with the new 100% gray wool. Today it's 9 degrees with 22mph wind, 32mph windgust. Wearing a sweat shirt under I was warm enough for walking. If I had to sit in this kind of weather I'd need a little more. Of coarse when the weathers like it is today, I usually stay inside.
 http://www.shrewbows.com/wool_shirts/

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »
So Ron when will you get a new shipment in of the heavier gray shirts?

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2007, 01:59:00 PM »
More are coming in the first of the week.

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »
Goodie goodie my birthday is coming!!
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
Well I shocked Ron in K-Zoo when the 2XL he wears fit me so now I huess I will place my order for one and a hood...well dome this pay day anyway. I think I like the solid grey even more than the stripped. Question for you Ron,,,,Where did you get the toque you're wearing in that pic of the new solid grey?
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »
Finally decided on the medium weight brown shirt with the matching collar and hood. Placed my order with Ron last week. He is having a 2Xl made up for me. Hope to have it by early March. Will let you know what I think once it is received. Hoping the 18oz material will work well in the 40 to 60 degree tempertures I plan to use it in.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
I was just outside for an hour (13 degrees,20mph wind)with one of Rons wool shirts, a long john shirt, thin wool vest underneath, and a Kromer on my head. I was moving around, although not sweating...I was warm as heck.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
Ron where did you get that hat your wearing in the picture above?
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Online HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2007, 05:49:00 PM »
I have a brand new Large that has not been worn.
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
Harl,  

Is that because it won't fit??
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »
Ron, what's the difference between the longhunter and a capote? Is it just that the longhunter is a pull over?
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »
Ron, what's the difference between the longhunter and a capote? Is it just that the longhunter is a pull over?  
Brent, the "Longhunter" is the name I gave the long wool shirt. It's styled after the long shirts worn by hunters in the mid to late 1700's that were usually made from linen cloth. A Capote was a longer coat, below the knees usually made of blanket wool, was open in the front and sometimes had a hood attached.

Ron where did you get that hat your wearing in the picture above?  
Jeff, It's a Voyager style cap that I've had for almost 30 years. It was hand knitted from 100% wool. The lady that made it also made a pair of matching mitts. I worm out the mitts years ago.

This picture was taken when I went on a Canoe trip with four other men in a 26' North canoe along the north shore of Lake Superior in 1978. We did it with equiptment period to the mid 1700's.

I'm eating from a wooden plate with a horn spoon  , wearing well worn buckskin pants, linen shirt and wool cap.

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »
Great picture and what an adventure that must of been. I was looking for a hat like that any idea wear I might find one?
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2007, 11:01:00 AM »
March 17-18th at Kalamazoo. Where the Traditional Expo was.  http://www.kalamazooshow.com/home.html

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©