3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Eye surgery affect your shooting?  (Read 337 times)

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Eye surgery affect your shooting?
« on: August 31, 2013, 04:01:00 PM »
I had cataract surgery a week and a half ago. They put in a lens that corrected my vision/astigmatism in my right eye. I will be having the other eye done in another week and a half.
Went out to shoot a few arrows last night cause I had not shoot for 2 weeks as the eye surgery comes with a weight restriction for a few days. Now let me say the surgery is succesful. I now have 20/20 in my right eye. I have worn glasses since 4th grade and am 57 years old now, so a long time. I took the lens out of my glasses on that side so I could see and function.
However, still having glasses to look through one eye while not the other can mess with you, especially turning your head. I couldn't figure out where to hold. My first shot I missed the 3d deer and the backstop behind it. I haven't done that for many years. Missed the deer with the next 2 shots but kept them on the backstop. Gave up shooting then as it was visually confusing. Be glad to get second eye done so I can get back at it in time for season.
Anybody ever go through this?
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Eye surgery affect your shooting?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
Had both eyes done several years ago.  Your description of taking the lens out of one side of your glasses brought back memories of doing the same thing.  Don't expect too much until both sides are done.  Then you will have to get used to the new way you see things.  Then your eyes will change slightly over the next year or so as things settle in.  However, if your's turn out as well as mine did, you'll be fine within a few weeks after having the second one done, and the other changes as things settle in happen slowly enough that you don't really notice them until you have an eye exam.  I would imagine that after a short time of adjustment, you'll be shooting better than you ever did before.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »
Don't if this makes sense or not. My wife is left handed and left eye dominant or was. After she had her right eye done and not the left, she was showing that she was right eye dominat. Since she does not shoot, I haven't checked with her in a while to see if she is still that way or not. It may have had something to do with the right eye being stronger than the left. The doctor told her the left was not bad enough at the time for the insurance to cover it so he would not recommend doing it at this time.

Online black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 06:31:00 PM »
Had my cataracts removed 3 years ago. After getting my right eye done I have not worn glasses for distance any more and had no problem shooting. I would try shooting without any glasses as they may be distracting your right eye.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »
I would ask which is your dominant eye and which side you shoot from. If you are shooting from the right side and that was your dominant eye, you might want to try putting a patch or large spot on your remaining eyeglass lens to avoid confusion - not enough to cover the lens, but just enough to block our your vision of the target when at anchor.

Once you get the other eye done, I'd wait a bit to let things stabilize and then check again to see which is the dominant eye. If you are still right-eye dominant, I doubt if you will have any problems. If you turn out to be left-eye dominant you might want to consider either shooting from the left side (I'm 72 and just switched over last year with no trouble) or wearing some non-corrected, light colored sun glasses with that spot over the left lens.

I'm very interested in your progress as I have a mild cataract in my right eye that is gradually getting worse, but still not quite bad enough to justify surgery.

Ron
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
I do not remember having any issues with only one new eye. I was not allowed to shoot for some time after my eye was done. My Doc even balked at me traveling in the car for 5 hours to Phx. That was a month after surgery.
But when I could shoot a round I had a great time being able to tell what the 3 d  target was.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
I had eye surgery a few years ago and can now see like a Hawk.
  A week or so after my surgery I grabbed my bow and struck out through the woods here at home shooting stumps. I kept shooting low a little and realized I was shooting long shots they just seemed close. RC

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »
Well, I went back out today to fling a few to keep muscles in tune. I shot with my left eye closed and was able to hit the target. Not always the best but I found I was grouping well even if it was a bit off the mark.
Can't wait till the 2nd eye gets done. I think it will be awesome.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 07:59:00 AM »
Once both eyes are done you will be very happy.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
I wore glasses since 4th grade and know about all the hassles of rain and fogging and sweat dripping....When I got my eye surgery I remember being caught in a small rain and looking up and saying "Thank You Lord". RC

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
I wouldn't worry too much, I learned that your body and mind adapt too everything!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 12:59:00 PM »
Wore glasses for 38 yrs (2nd grade). Who would've known that cataracts would be a wonderful thing? I have a severe eye phobia, but got through it. Can see great, 3D and High Def. No fogging and dirty glasses anymore. My shooting has improved too. Still need the readers, and make sure you get the right readers for the distance from your eyes to the ground (I need a 2.0 for reading, but a 1.0 will be better for trailing). I found that after shooting a doe last year, I couldn't find any blood. My readers were for close up, but my eyes were corrected for distance. That span between the readers and the ground (4-8') was still a little blurry. I found the deer just by walking towards where she ran, but would rather have followed a blood trail.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »
Good point, Brian. I like my computer glasses for blood trails.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
Well I had the 2nd (left) eye done last Monday. Things are progressing well. Being able to see is a wonderful thing. The left eye did not respond as fast as the right but it is very close now.
I got out today and shot a few arrows for the first time in a couple weeks. Here is the result after shooting a few to loosen up.
I like to move around and take shots at different angles. These 3 arrows were shot from 23 yds in to about 14 yds.

I only need a 1.0 or 1.25 for reading. I'm going to have to figure out what I need for a blood trail. I can see the gound really well from a standing position. It will be those bent over or kneeling trails that will be a problem at first. Also I have noticed I still a bit off in the dark. I think that will come around as my body adapts.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline MOFISH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
I had the same surgery in both eyes a little over a year ago and now have 20/20 with no further correction. The doctor nailed it! Cataracts brought me back to trad 3 years ago because I couldn't see to shoot with the sights on my wheel bow and I've never looked back. Hope you get along as great as I have.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
Looking good Dan. I recognized those arrows,before I saw who posted.
Good luck.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©