3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A good broadhead  (Read 285 times)

Offline Fleatrap1

• Trad Bowhunter
A good broadhead
« on: August 31, 2013, 11:55:00 PM »
I'm looking for a good broadhead around 125-135 grains.  They will be on .500 carbon Goldtips with 5gpi weight tubes inside the shafts.  I'm shooting out of a Bear Super Grizzly 45# @28 and I pull just shy of 27" in draw length.  I know I need a crazy sharp two blade cut on contact broadhead.  My question is what do you all recommend for this setup and would getting a broadhead with bleeder tips be a bad idea as far as penetration is concerned.  I won't be taking any shots much farther than 15 yards, 20 max.

Offline BuckeyeGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A good broadhead
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 11:59:00 PM »
Magnus 2 blade screw in at 125 grains would be a good one or even a 125 gr screw in woodsman might be the ticket.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 12:05:00 AM »
Magnus Stinger would be another to consider.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 12:09:00 AM »
so you are going to be drawing about 40 pounds. If it was me I would lean towards a long 2 blade head with great penetration so that you get the exit holes. You will get a way better blood trail with 2 holes than you will with 10 blades that only make one hole. id be looking at tuffhead, grizzly, Kodiak, howard hills, and those types of heads with that are longer in design so that you get closer to that 3:1 ratio.
  Any head will work for you. but at your weight I would think that the extra penetration would out perform a bigger cutting diameter or multi blade heads. Especially from a treestand where exit holes make a huge difference in blood trails.

Offline ghoster808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 03:56:00 AM »
I like how Magnus Stingers fly. Same POI as my field points. I use 125gr. And this is at 20 yds. The max I am confident/consistent at.
"Till The Wheels Fall Off"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 04:36:00 AM »
Mind telling us what you are planning on hunting with this set up?  The majority of those that ask what head never mention in their 1st post what they plan on hunting.

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 05:21:00 AM »
I believe the zwickey eskalite from 3 rivers archery is around that weight.  I am sure anyone on here will agree you cant go wrong with zwickeys.  Good luck.
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Offline Fleatrap1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 07:40:00 AM »
Whitetail Deer Terry Green.  I have just begun my journey into tradition archery this year.  I love it so far and shoot at least a little most days.  I went with a lighter bow (and glad I did) to get myself used to shooting. I honestly wish I had about #50 at this point, but it is what it is.  I just want to be sure and use the best setup I can especially with a low draw weight.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »
I like all the broadheads mentioned so far......Mike Shaw...owner of Shaws Traditional Archery recently told me how impressed he is with the Eclipse 2 blade broadhead...he said the were super sharp right out of the box...might check them out as well....good luck.....john
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline recurve maine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 07:58:00 AM »
Woodsman originals are great 3 blade heads,
1972 Lefty Browning Nomad 51lb @ 30.5
62" Lefty Sammick Sage 66lb @ 30.5
In Search of a custom Lefty long bow!

Offline greenbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 08:08:00 AM »
Zwickey Eskilites =  135 grains.  Been using them for two years with a deer harvested each year.  Being new to archery, I was shooting a light bow (40#ish) with 100 gr brass inserts.  Blood trails weren't great, but I recovered both deer within 100 yards of the initial hit.  That being said, I was a greenhorn for sure...  Going into my third hunting season, I now own a 55# bow, Eskimo Heads (160) and a KME sharpener.  My heads now are WICKED sharp.  

A bit of a cliche, but there's a reason: SHARP heads are the best heads...

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
Highly recommend Magnus Stingers.  They fly great, are pretty sharp out of the package and leave a nice blood trail.  :thumbsup:

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
Hi Tom welcome to trad. I use Stingers and love them, sharp out of the package. Where in IL. are you I'm in Mackinaw.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Fleatrap1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »
Just south of Springfield, Ranger 3.

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 12:03:00 PM »
I would stick with a non vented 2 blade.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©