3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Queen Custom Knives D2 steel???  (Read 355 times)

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
Queen Custom Knives D2 steel???
« on: September 05, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »
Just got a Queen 2 blade Hunter w/ honey bone. Made with D2 steel. What is the differances between D2 and let's say the regular 402 steel you find in most knives at Wal-Mart???
What are the plus and minuses of both???
I've also notices that this knife seems very heavy ... But the best crafted knife I've ever laid my hands on....Think this will go hunting with me every trip from now on.
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Queen Custom Knives D2 steel???
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 07:04:00 PM »
440 is a stainless steel which is harder for rust to build up on.  It is also softer than D2 or 01 (if properly heat treated and tempered), which  means the 440 will dull quicker and be easier to sharpen.  Conversely, the D2 will hold an edge better but tends to need a bit of care so it doesn't rust and it could be hard(er) to sharpen.

D2 is a tool steel which has a higher carbon content.  Tool steels are used to cut softer steels.

When given a choice of steels in a knife, my first choice would be Crucible S30V, next would be D2 or 01, last would be the stainless varieties.

For most skinning duties of animals whitetail size and smaller, pretty much any steel will do nicely.

If you got a knife you like in D2, you done good.
Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »
Marblesonac is technically correct.  D-2 is not a true "stainless steel as it misses the catagory of stainless by 1 percentage point.  But the real world fact is that you have to be a certified idiot to make D2 rust.  Wipe it down after use and it will not stain, much less rust.  I've got several knives made from D-2 and they are awesome.  In terms of hardness and edge holding ability for D2...The secret lies in the heat treat.  Bob Dozier is the well recognized master of working with D2 and is perhaps the person most responsible for its use being more popular today.  I have no experience with Queen Cutlery's version of D2, but Queen is a good company and I expect they've learned the proper way to heat treat it as well.
Otto

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »
So, Is this the stuff they make bolt cuters and chisels for metal out of???
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 09:24:00 PM »
It could be...there are a few different "tool steels" that they could be made from.  Here is a good definition of tool steel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tool_steel  

This is a good one too for D2:

http://www.precision-steel.com/toolsteel-d2.htm

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
I almost forgot that Otto was right about a couple of things.  The heat treatment (including cryoing in certain circumstances) and tempering of the blade is about the most important thing.  You can take the best steel and make it a sucky blade, or you can take mediocre steel and make it pretty good.

My take is that Queen does know what they are doing regarding this.

Also as Otto mentioned D2 is pretty resistant to rust, but if you clean a deer, wipe the blade on your pant leg and put the knife away for a few months, there is a VERY good chance that the salt in the blood will make some small pitting and staining of the blade...don't ask me how I know...

A simple wash and light oil will do the trick.

Congrats again.

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »
D2 is one of the finest steels available for knife blades.  Queen makes some of the best production knives in D2.  Bob Dozier or Charles May make some of the best fixed blade knives in D2.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Magnum in Ms

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »
I have been using a Queen muskrat for a couple of years and love it. It has D2 steel and holds a edge very well. Seems to work better if you don't let it get real dull before you sharpen it. Just a couple strokes on a fine diamond stone and it stays good and sharp. I skin a lot of coons with mine and it holds a edge better than any thing else I have tried .
Every one is ignorant its just on different subjects

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 05:00:00 AM »

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
Queen is just up the road from me and has been making knives for more than 100 yrs.  They "DO" know how to make them and have a great reputation.  I've had a Queen #98 for 40 yrs. and it's still just like new after dressing and skinning hundreds of critters.  I usually buy a #98 for my best customers every year and have had no complaints!

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »
One of the reasons D2 is so desireable is because it "acts like" stainless but takes a much better edge. Another way to put it is it is rust resistant, hard steel that holds a great edge, and you can get it sharper than some of the other tool steels like ATS34.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©