3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: cedar, bees wax& straw...  (Read 169 times)

Offline wandering monk

• Trad Bowhunter
cedar, bees wax& straw...
« on: September 01, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
recent sign up here...I appreciate the forum you have going on here very much...I dont see a "new guy" area...so here it is...I dont make bows anymore except for myself or Son...but really enjoy the area devoted to it "bowyers bench"...a lot of fun stuff going on there...

I have been involved in this wonderful pursuit since I was a young boy...my first time with a bow in my hand was with my Fathers help...his bows were way to big for me. He was shooting a lemon wood long bow he got from Herters back in the late 50's...I remember the day he drew it back and it snapped...time to get himself a Fred Bear...I think he got a grizzly...and some "micro flites" pretty high tech for us back then...

As far as me getting my chance, he found a small shop that had some "kid" bows available...I remember the guy at the shop said "come on outside", he had a few bales of straw set up. with a deer target pinned on them...he even made it more cool for a 6 year old and blew up a ballon and challenged me to hit it...

that was 1960...I remember hitting that first balloon like it was yesterday. We went back in his little shop and all I can remember is the smell of Bees Wax, cedar and straw...I remember my Dad promising that some day soon we would get a bow like that for me...

eventually He kept that promise with a really cool "Locksely" fiberglass bow...a bit stronger than I could really handle, but mine none the less. I would " root " behind all the archery targets after the range shut down where my Dad would shoot several evenings a week afer supper to see if I could find arrows...things were tight back then...and finding arrows was all good by me. I had quite a collection...I even had a 4 fletch aluminum arrow...something quite rare in those days...it was my prized possesion.

I later got a 43# Cravotta Brothers bow...still a bit big for me, but I grew into it...even killed a deer with it...

now many years later after having an archery shop for a while 20 years ago, and being pretty dedicated to tradional bowhunting for a long time, I find myself remembering the smell of that Bees Wax, cedar and straw...I do and make other things now, but those days of breaking balloons still remain pretty special...all the best...t
ted/wandering monk
public land pope & young
public water 20"er

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: cedar, bees wax& straw...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
Hard to beat the old archery shops! Hap

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
Cool stuff!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
Great introduction and welcome Ted
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :campfire:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :campfire:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
Thank you for sharing your wonderful memories.

Welcome to the tradgang family!!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »
Brings back lots of memories.  There was an archery shop I entered when I was about 12 (58 years ago   :eek:  ) that had that wonderful aroma of cedar and leather--still remember the magic of it.  Thanks for stirring a delightful memory.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
Ted
Welcome to the forum.
  I wish Archery shops were still that way, but we're not likely to see it again. Compounds have taken over the newer shooters & trad bows just must not sell in a lot of towns.
   Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
Welcome from Maine.

Offline Jim Brennen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
good story, thanks
62" toelke whip 55#@28" 56" thunderchild 49#@28 54" shrew classic hunter 50#@28

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »
I really enjoyed that Ted, thanks!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©