3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Biofocul shooters...  (Read 271 times)

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Biofocul shooters...
« on: September 01, 2013, 07:21:00 PM »
As the years are gaining on me, my eyes are straining to see clearly. As a result I now wear no line biofoculs. I tried shooting this week and I was not impressed with my shooting results. The way I tilt my head at the shot, SOMETIMES it will "blurr" out because of the biofoculs. I tried shooting without my glasses as I have for years now only to have my eyes bug out because they are use to my glasses. Contacts are out of the question now, so any suggestions will be welcomed. I shoot with a pretty good cant and my head follows suit. Maybe I need more time shooting with them on to get use to them ??   :dunno:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Biofocul shooters...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
Your brain will make the necessary corrections in time but you do have to look straight on at things and that you'll have to correct for. That's how it worked for me anyway.
"My opinion is free and worth every penny"

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
Another thing you could try is an inexpensive pair of single vision specs (no bifocal scrip).  The progressive bifocals make for a lens with a very critical focal point. The single vision lens will open the window that you are looking through quite a bit.
Molon labe

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »
I have the same issue. Thinking on line ones and maybe distance only glasses. I have had them about 1 1/2 years.  I go without a lot.  I have really noticed a change this year without the glasses. Getting hard to pick a small spot. interested to see what others say with more experience.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
I can not shoot with my progressive lense glasses. I have a distance only, single vision pair that I hunt with. They constantly fog up. I can see better without them at low light. It sucks to get old!
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
I tried to wear bifocals when I needed them. I fell down the stairs the first day. I went to two pairs of glasses, a royal in the behind. but safer for me.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
It takes a while.  I focus intently before I raise the bow and release.  Sometimes the spot I am focusing on disappears when I hit anchor.  Hardly accuracy inducing.

By then I am looking through the upper lens near the right corner of the lens - well above the lower/reading & close diopter (I have Varilux with no line).
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
I shoot equally well with my progressive lens glasses and my single vision glasses. When hunting, I've been using the single vision because of the small lens size which clear up more quickly after fogging up after a walk!
Chuck

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
I wear progressive lens and could not shoot with them when I first got them. My shots were all high and left. I had been taking them off to shoot for quite a while. A few months ago I decided to take a few shots with them on and now don't notice a difference in shooting with them on.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »
I've been in bifocals for years, but I much prefer the single line.  Tried the no lines and didn't like them A LOT!  With the NL, the image and focus point kept moving around.  I find the line bifocal to be practically seamless to look thru.  When shooting, I'm always looking thru the distance part of the lens.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 11:04:00 PM »
Buy an extra pair of single vision glasses.  That solved the problem for me.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 11:49:00 PM »
It might not be the bifocal part, me and my wife both have glasses that we shoot better with one pair over the other and both pair for each of us are progressive, I think it has to do with the shape of the frame and lenses. Like the inside upper corners are closer together on the glasses that we each shoot better with.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 07:58:00 AM »
Get a pair of glasses just for shooting. That is really the best solution.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline elk nailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 08:09:00 AM »
I have my bi focals set really low so they don't get iin the way. No line bifocals will blur when you look to the side of the lens.

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 08:32:00 AM »
I just recently was prescribed bifocals. I talked to my opthamologist about my concerns regarding shooting. Turns out he had shot rifles competitively in his younger years and he recommended flat top bifocals. He noted that progressives have a narrow in focus window and periphery objects would be out of focus.  I've been shooting with flat top bifocals a month now and couldn't be happier.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »
I couldn't use the no line glasses at all, everything looked like a wave when I turned my head, I couldn't even drive with them. I took them back, and got the lined ones, and can shoot just fine with them. I also got a pair of single vison ones that work great for shooting. I agree, it's a bummer getting older, but it beats the alternative.
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
I agree with a couple guys. Get the lined bifocals. Mine only take up about a 1/4 of the lens where I look to read. No problem turning my head to shoot and seeing out the edges. I am facing different issues for a short time after cataract and corrective surgery in right eye
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 10:18:00 AM »
Lined bifocals are the way to go, I have worn them for years and have no problems shooting with them.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 11:32:00 AM »
I have bifocals with the close correction in the lower part of the lens in a round segment.  My glasses have my distance correction right out to the edge and most importantly right into the corner I look through when I shoot.

I tried the progressive lenses and couldn't get used to them for everyday use so never really tried them for shooting.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »
Discuss this with your eye care professional--explain how you hold your head when shooting.  No line bifocals (progressive lens) often don't work well for shooting.  My son is an optometrist and has explained why no-lines don't work as well as the regular old bifocals.  I personally wear regular lined trifocals and have no problem at all shooting--at least not due to my glasses! Because he is a hunter and bow shooter, he generally asks about his patients' hobbies and accommodates them. It may require getting dedicated glasses for hunting/shooting as has been suggested.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©