3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SafeTree Hunt  (Read 278 times)

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
SafeTree Hunt
« on: September 02, 2013, 06:33:00 AM »
I have not seen this topic yet this year so it got me to thinking,
Has anybody dealt with this outfit?

http://safetreehunt.com/

I need to get some life lines and would like to do it myself.
If you have used any new products that deal with tree stand safety, post up
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SafeTree Hunt
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 07:28:00 AM »
Yes.  
I recommend their safety line/prussic knot set-ups without any reservation. Jim is top notch and provides the best quality ropes available anywhere. I have his ropes on all my stands.

He also sells bulk rope to make your own.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 09:13:00 AM »
Thanks Bob,
Do you have a decent device? or do you set-up so you can grab your ladder/stand to get back on?
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
No I do not have a descending device.

The way I set up with my full body harness or my rock climbing harness, if I fall I won't go too far past the platform and I can get back to my rapid rails. This is easier with the rock climbing harness because I would be facing the tree. I am really liking the climbing harness especially for ease of turning and shooting without that strap by my head.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 10:18:00 AM »
Chuck,

One "fail-safe" is to carry a second prussic knot rope in a pocket. If you fell and could not regain the stand for some reason, you could add a second prussic knot to your line in a few seconds, and use the two knots in tandem to "walk" down the rope.

Something like the Gri Gri sounds like a great device, but the extra loop of rope is simple, dependable, easy to understand,and inexpensive.

I figure (hope) the odds are long I will fall from a ladder stand, and even longer that stand won't be there to climb back onto.  But, with an extra 42" length loop in my pocket, at least there is option.  That is what I always try to have... as opposed to NO option... in any situation!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
I bought my first long rope lanyards from SafeTree and they are very good, the best available.  He uses Bluewater II Assault line which is the rope of choice for military and rescue work.  Very good stuff.  The Chinese made ropes from the big TV show sponsors don't come anywhere close.

I prefer the OD green over the black rope and have been buying rope in bulk and making my own now but the savings aren't much.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 11:55:00 AM »
Now that is some good info guys. Thank you.

What is the rock climbing harness Rob?

My man Mark, that just picked up his bow yesterday, mentioned about a safety line so that got me thinking again that I need to get it done.
He has a story about treestand safety. Ouch!
(Marks Bow.   http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=131002;p=1  

Does anybody have the links on how to make the Prussic or other cool knots?
I can't get the search function to work for some reason.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
I had intended to make my own so I bought one life line-prussic system from Jim to use as a model. After pricing out the Bluewater bulk rope in the same quality that he uses I just punted and bought all the systems from him. Like Fletcher said, you aren't saving much.

Offline bisket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
As Chuck said I have a story and as I found out so do a lot of other people.  In a nutshell here is my story:  
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=130922;p=2#000022
-Mark
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »
Here's a great link for tying a Prusik knot.  It includes a link to tying the Prusik loop using the Double Fisherman's knot.  This is how I make my Prusiks.   http://www.animatedknots.com/prusik/index.php

For my ropes I use 11.6 mm (7/16") Bluewater II Assault line and their 7 mm Prusik cord.  It takes 48" of the 7 mm cord to make a good Prusik loop for the 11.6 rope.  I like Hawkeye's idea of having a second Prusik available for helping out in the even of a fall.  Gonna have to make up a long one.    :thumbsup:

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 04:01:00 PM »
Chuck,
  I followed his plans and build my own lifelines and have them on all of my stands.  I ordered my rope directly from Bluewater, assaultline and prussic.  As mentioned above, I do carry a couple extra tied up prussic knots in my HSS vest.  If I ever did fall, I could use one to walk down the rope or if it has been freezing rain the night before, I have a fresh, dry loop.
  After shipping and rope cost, I made mine for $30 a piece.  Not a lot of savings, but they are simple to make and the savings does add up the more stands you have. Good rope is expensive, but my life and health is well worth it!
Hunt safe!
Chris

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »
One more thought, and a public "thanks"...

Quite some time ago, Fletcher and I were talking and the conversation turned to safety lines, and I mentioned I hoped to find a supply of proper rope and build some.

He said, "Hey, I have one at home for you- I'll get it to you some time."  I told him thanks, but that it wasn't necessary.  I'd be getting around to getting some.

Months later, and with the topic completely forgotten, I got a Priority Mail box.  I was surprised, since I hadn't ordered anything.  When I saw it was from Rick, a light bulb came on. It was a safety rope suitable for a 15' stand, and I loved the quality of the materials and the simple-but-effective design. (THANK YOU, my Friend!!!)

Perhaps even better than the gift, though, was the fact that Rick got me thinking about the whole safety issue once again.  I did some research, and saw a statistic on the Safetree site that 85% of falls occur during the process of getting up and down from the stand. That rang true to me, and really got my attention.

I have a medical problem that leaves me permanently dizzy, and I have given up hunting off the ground with the exception of a few ladder stands.  On these I go carefully and strategically, with all the speed of a narcoleptic sloth! The most challenging part of every stand hunt is getting my Seat-of-the-Pants safety harness rope around the tree to tie off after climbing up... especially on two big oaks that I cannot reach around.  I always feel uneasy (and dizzy) until I am attached, and again later as I am loose and coming down, until my feet are back on Terra Firma.

After studying the site and cost of materials, I decided to scrape together what funds I could and spend my hunting budget for this Fall on some ready-made safety systems from Safetree.  Not new camo, not new arrows, not the latest gizmo(?!?!), but on safety! My hope is to be tied off on every stand before leaving the ground. I also picked up a couple spare Prusik loops to use as a back up as mentioned earlier in this thread. (One to carry, one to lose!)  

I just wanted to say thanks to Rick for his generosity, and for priming the pump of thought that led me to the next step in trying to get safely home to my wife each night.

I thought it might lead others to consider doing something similar.  Be safe!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 04:16:00 PM »
Oops! Meant to fix a typo...
Daryl Harding

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
Oops squared.
Daryl Harding

Offline dennis502

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
I've been using Jim's ropes for the past 4 seasons. Like the others, I looked at buying bulk rope and making them myself, but the savings didn't justify the hassle. His prices are hard to beat.

Every time I use them I ask myself how I ever climbed 20-30 feet on icy tree steps in the dark without them. I hung a bunch of stands this weekend, including one that's on a side hill and is 40 feet up, and the feeling of security in being attached to the line for the entire climb is priceless.

They're also really durable. I hang mine in late August and leave them up until the end of November. 4 years in the ropes still look brand new....

Offline dennis502

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
Double post.

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »
I started selling the Hunter Safety Systems Lifeline last year and it looks awfully similar to the Safe Tree Hunt setup.  Anybody know the difference?
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
On the package I looked at the HSS was made in China and appeared to be just heavy rope.  The SafeTree lines are made from USA 7/16 Bluewater II Tactical Assualt line.  It has 7600 lb rating and is designed for climbing and rescue work.  It is the real stuff.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©