3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2013 Antelope Season  (Read 725 times)

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
2013 Antelope Season
« on: September 02, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
It's been an interesting start this year, back in July I broke my ankle while fishing with a guest here on the ranch.  Antelope hunting in one of these strap on walking boots isn't ideal.  While my preferred method is to spot and stalk these critters it was pretty much out of the question this year.  Bare toes, cactus and thistle thorns don't mix well either...  ;)  

We opened Aug 15th here and with the heat the bucks just we not interested in the girls at all.  I had put up a blind a buddy sent out but being pretty claustrophobic can barely stand to sit in it. Usually have too many windows open for it to work and can't seem to figure out how to shoot out of one either.  Also another buddy helped me put up a ladder stands and a tripod on water holes/tanks.  

When I set the blind up I decided to give it a try and crawled in the next morning at daylight.  Within an hour I spotted a dozen does/fawns and a decent buck trotting my way.  They came right in with not a care in the world with the buck shoving his head in the tank only 12 yards away.  He had his butt facing me so I waited till he stepped away from the tank but then the girls were in the way.  I patiently waited till he stepped in the clear right into the middle of the shooting window, still at 12 steps I proceeded to send an arrow into the dirt right under his chest.   :banghead:   I really hate blinds, jealous of the folks that can use and shoot out of em but just not for me, I've just gotta have some wide open space...

Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2013 Antelope Season
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 01:53:00 PM »
Follow a couple weeks of close calls but no shots then yesterday morning I slipped into the ladder stand on the old pond.  Just after daylight a couple does and their fawns came in but I hadn't realized there was still a decent puddle of water at the far side of the pond.  Naturally they went to it instead of the much bigger pool under my stand.  At nearly 30 yards I decided to let them walk and was still kind of holding out for a buck since Montana hadn't offered any bonus doe permits this year.  

A couple hours passed and out of a nearby draw several more does came trotting in right to the same hole of water.  Following up the rear was a nice buck that I'd seen a few times.  He shoved the girls out of the way and went right to watering.  He was sidewize to me and perfectly still so I decided to try him.  Turns out 29 steps was too far, once again I stuck a shaft into the dirt under his his chest.  After an initial start they settled down and went right back to the water again but I just sat and watched thinking I would moved the stand after they left.  An hour later that task completed I headed back to the house for lunch and to get a little work accomplished...

Before I realized it was nearly 5:00 in the afternoon and I knew I didn't have time to sneak into the tripod so decided to make a short trip down to a ladder stand in a small alder bush I'd put up a couple days before.  I watched a few antelope going under the fence and watering in the river and the alder was the only thing close enough.  These are typically kind of wobbly but work for me.  I just gather up a bunch of the small branches, wad them together, throw a ratchet strap around the whole mess then tie back to whatever is handy to help stabilize things.  I'd also cleared a shooting lane thru the thick willows and alders to where the tracks were the thickest on the river bank.  

The stand is only 300 yards up the river from the house so it was a short run on the ATV but on the way I spotted a buck and doe heading toward the river.  I knew it was going to be a close call getting to the stand before they were within eyesight of me so I just ran the ATV into the brush bailed off and made for the stand.  They got in sight before I could get in so I was moving like molasses in January but finally made it into the stand.  A few minutes later the doe slid right under the fence, bailed into the river and swam to the other side leaving a frantic buck on the wrong side of the fence.  The silly buck spent nearly 30 minutes deciding he could get under the fence he'd probably been under a dozen times.  I nearly tried him thru the fence a couple times but was just too worried about getting tween the wires cleanly.  

Finally he ducked under and trotted by not 4' from my ladder but going too quickly for a shot.  Then to top it off instead of going to the cleared shooting lane he went up the river ten yards further the drove his nose into the water.  This left me with a 20 yard shot but it would be thru the brush.  By leaning far to the right I could see his shoulder clearly with his head behind a clump of grass and a hard quartering away angle.  I drew back concentrated on the little bare patch of hide behind his shoulder and let fly.  He tried to spin away at the sound of the shot but spun right into the arrow taking it just below the ear at the base of the skull.  Dropping in his tracks his head went into the river and he was drowned by the time I got down to him.  While not intentional it just don't get no cleaner than that, a really short blood trail for a cripple and not one bit of blood shot meat...    ;)  

Thanks

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »
I was shooting my trusty old Toelke Whip 57#, AD Trad Heavies and 285 grains up front tween the 125 BH adapter and a 160 Griz. The arrow is the blue fletched one in the pic that my buddy Mike Gerardi gave me a few years ago. That arrow and the same BH has put down five or six critters now. Hope you enjoyed my story.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 02:30:00 PM »
Well done Doug!I am glad you used a arrow from Mike,he is a great guy!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
Good one!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »
Way to go Doug! Nice goat
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
I knew I was going to come back to this thread.

At the time I finished reading the 1st entry I said to myself, "This story ain't over yet." make a mental note to get back here.

I'm sure glad I did!

Nice read and nice speed goat.

Thanks for sharing.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »
That was really cool Doug. You know what they say. it is better to be lucky than good.  :laughing:  
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 05:53:00 PM »
Congratulations on a great start to the season. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
:thumbsup:   sounds like that arrows got some mojo

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »
Way to go Doug! Glad you didn't need those 8.5x Swaros to track. They are going elk hunting  :)  Good luck with the short-leg walker. Those things are annoying!

Beautiful 'lope! Congrats!
Mike Davenport

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 06:18:00 PM »
Awesome! Congrats!
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
Nice buck! Congrats!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  

Eric

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
Way to stick with and do it the hard way.  That looks like a great goat. I am hoping to take one in the rut in two weeks when I head to Wyoming.
John
habujohn

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 07:19:00 PM »
Thanks for telling your story Doug.
Hi from Mo.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
awesome, good job

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
Good job Doug!! Some great eating!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
Doug...for a walking disaster on two feet just waiting for an accident (seems like it the last couple years lately) you sure are doing fine thinning down the herds of critters 'round here!

:thumbsup:
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Online varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 07:41:00 PM »
Awesome!  Congrats on an easy track!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic: