3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why cock fletch in  (Read 540 times)

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why cock fletch in
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »
Sent you a PM with photos the other day. I will repost pics here. If your RH, shooting RW feathers, the odd hen is down when nocked normally. Turn cock feather in, odd hen is "UP". Put LW feathers on, nock normal with cock feather out and odd hen is "UP".

I shot cock feather in for years now all my arrows are fletched LW when shooting my RH bows and right wing when shooting my left handed Fedora.

RW fletched cock feather normal. RH Shooter

RH shooter, cock feather in, notice the odd hen position changes from down to up.

RH shooter, LW feathers nocked normal. Odd hen already in up position.

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Lost Arra:
Kelly Peterson (in business for many years as Arrows by Kelly) had an explanation of why shooting cock feather in is good.

I wish I could find it but after Kelly retired from arrowsmithing his great website disappeared.

Whatever his reason was I tried cock feather in and it worked well and I've not looked back.
Was able to salvage my old website so that the info contained on it can still be available to everyone. No am not going back into the business.

www.arrowskp.com

Actually Joe Skipp explained it pretty good with the above pictures.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline BuckeyeGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
Yep, good pics Joe that helps explain it and dang Kelly we're darn near neighbors!

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 02:35:00 PM »
I know Mike Palmer advocates shooting cock feather in too.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Huntingnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
I have found all my recurves have shot better cock feather in. Never really worried about why, just as long as the arrow flew well...

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by gringol:

Originally posted by Widowdoublelung:
Cock feather in not so good for double anchor of feather on nose.  So if you shoot in what do you use as a double anchor?
Thumb joint behind jaw bone, finger on first molar.  A double anchor isn't actually required anyway, just what some people choose to do. [/b]
May not be necessary for some but it is for me, just curious as to what you used if the cock feather was in.

Offline BuckeyeGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
Widow, with cock feather in you can't use it for sure. I used to use that as one anchor when I shot out.  I'm index finger corner of mouth and thumb joint behind jaw bone fyi.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 03:58:00 PM »
I shoot left handed, rw feathers, cock feather in
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »
The Reasoning for Cock feather in is very simple! It has nothing to do with Arrow spine, feather contact etc> It is easily explained by looking at the top 2 Pics that Joe skipp posted , Cock feather out the cock feather slices thru the air, Cock feather in the 2 hen feathers facing out act as a parachute effect during the archers paradox. THAT'S IT !!  :deadhorse:

Offline Jim Brennen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 06:18:00 PM »
Thank You everybody for all the responses and Joe Skipp those pictures explain it great. I'm just going to shoot cock fletch in.
62" toelke whip 55#@28" 56" thunderchild 49#@28 54" shrew classic hunter 50#@28

Offline Bob Sarrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
I shoot a lot of cock feather in.  When in hen feathers catch more air and correct faster.
Now then, get your weapons ~ your quiver and bow ~ and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27.3

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
It depends on the bow for me: my NM Classic-cock out, my JD Berry Misty Dawn and Dave Johnson-cock in. Can mess me up a bit when I'm switching between bows.
Chuck

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »
I shoot off the shelf and cock feather in for all the reasons already given.Works for me.

Online Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2013, 02:05:00 PM »
I have never been able to paper tune my toelke whip. No matter where I moved my nock I always got a 2 inch nock high tear. Today I paper tuned with cock feather in and got perfect tears after 5 minutes of tuning.  Broadheads flying great as well. I wish I would have tried this months ago. Thanks for posting this thread

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »
I tried this last evening with great success. Thanks for the tip.

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2013, 06:34:00 AM »
Likely arrows are too stiff by just a tad. Flying great with broadhead (broadheads usually like a stiffer arrow) but not with field pt.

stiff arrows don't paradox as much as weak ones thus not allowing the feathers to clear the shelf.

by turning cock feather in makes clearance for hen feathers that haven't paradoxed enough.

bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2013, 07:41:00 AM »
It's amazing to me how guys can spend hundreds of hours tuning and never try cock feather in.  I've picked up used bows before with the nock point set an inch over square and I can only assume the poor guy was trying to tune out a nock high issue.  If he had just flipped that arrow over, he might have fixed his problem.  It has certainly worked that.way for me.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »
OK here is my take on this. Your mileage may vary. I ALWAYS shoot cock feather in. To be honest it's  not about getting a arrow to shoot right but more for  about getting a clean feather clearance upon release. I bare shaft tune my arrows so they fly like laser beams without fletching.

Here is the way it was explained to me and always worked and made sense. Nock a arrow on your bow string at brace height. NOW imagine upon release where the arrow finally comes loose from the string. To help you it's not where you see it nocked at brace height. The string follows the arrow past brace height. A arrow can't begin to spin while still controlled by the string! PERIOD.  Now with arrow on the string at brace height push it towards the belly like it happens in real life after shooting a arrow!

The arrow CAN NOT begin to spin till after it's released from the string! PERIOD! Just repeating a important fact.

With that said years ago, showing my age, all tuning manuals use to show  leaving a gap between the arrow shelf and the riser back. Supposedly to let the lower hen feather go between this "GAP"!

Problem is when you watch a slow motion video of a properly spined arrow the tail end of the arrow shaft is riding almost off the arrow shelf!

So regardless if shooting right or left with the cock feather out the bottom hen feather is making contact with the bows shelf ON THE OUTSIDE AREA.  Turning the cock feather in helps to reduce this but turning it in at the RIGHT angle elimates all feather contact. JMHO!

In a nut shell I don't do it to compensate for  a poorly spined arrow but simply for better fletching clearance.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline ghoster808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2013, 02:40:00 AM »
Read this thread today and tried it out this evening. Wow, I can definitely say my Striker LB prefers cock feather in, to the tune of shrinking groups in half. Can't wait to try it on my recurves. Just gotta love TradGang for little Pearls like this thread!
"Till The Wheels Fall Off"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©