3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting left and right? Anyone do both?  (Read 254 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Shooting left and right? Anyone do both?
« on: September 03, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
I know several who have switched to lefty recently do to injury or eye problems. I have been fooling around shooting left handed just to see if I could do it. I'm right handed but left eye dominate. Does anyone out there shoot both left and right all the time. I can see that there are times where it could be an advantage in certain spots. I have a recurve and a longbow that have dual shelves.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Cobie33

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting left and right? Anyone do both?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »
I can and do shoot both.  I work on archery equipment regularly so it keeps me in practice on the right side.  I am right handed and left eye dominant.  I shot right handed for years, then decided to switch to my dominant eye. It is funny to see peoples reactions when I can shoot either.
"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.”
 Albert Pike

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »
I too have switched because of dominant eye.  Did this may years ago and can shoot either way, but better on the dominant side.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
I kept two of my "righties" after switching to the left side. I just have to close my left eye when shooting right handed.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »
this whole year i have been playing around shooting righty.  i'm cross dominant right handed left eyed and normally shoot lefty but have found right really isn't that hard at the closer ranges, you just have to practice, actually i was surprised at my accuracy.  have actually been able to shoot some nice groups.  you just have to focus, honestly shooting righty feels like you have to be even more reliant on 'instinctive' skill.  it's a lot of fun.  i've been keeping 1 righty bow around until just this past week.  sold it, cause i developed a case of golfers elbow in my right arm and pulling righty was not comfortable.  probably will get another righty bow at some point not too far off though.  i think every archer should give their 'opposite' side a chance just to change things up and improve.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
I can shoot both righty and lefty. I am righty and right eye dominant. The difference is lefty I would have to keep my hunting shots 15 yards and in. I can group well enough lefty out to 15 yards to make a killing shot. Shawn
Shawn

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
Born right handed and do everything right handed. I switched to left handed shooting because I am left eye dominate. Although I have not shot righty for many years I know I could pick up a right handed bow and shoot very competent.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline DayTripper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
I am also cross dominant right handed, left eyed. I shoot both hands. Firearm right. Bow left.

Offline Jack Ripper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
I'm right handed left eye dominant.  Can shoot with either hand. My twin brother is left handed and can shoot with either also. But shooting right is pure instinct. I can't close my left eye and keep my right eye open its physically impossible for me. If i put an eye patch over my left eye my right handed shooting improves dramatically using an aiming system like gaping. But my instinctive shooting feels more comfortable right handed than anything else.
Gentlemen you can't fight in here, this is the war room.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©