3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Could I be a 1 or 2 bow guy?  (Read 863 times)

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Could I be a 1 or 2 bow guy?
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
I find it hard to just own a few with 5 grandchildren who shoot, beginners who are always coming around wanting to try to shoot, ladies trying to shoot.

I have 3 bows I hunt different things with, one bow for 3-D shooting and some sentimental bows I'd have a hard time parting with not to mention the 4 or 5 grandkids bows/beginners.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline silent sniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
I am at only 2 bows myself. I have a bad habit of collecting things, but I don't want to start that with my bows. I have a caribow wolverine and a bear grizzly. If I find something I like more than I will sell one of the ones I have to do so. My limit is 3 tops. Save that money you would spend on bows and use it for hunting trips to actually put your bows in use ! Remember you cant take them when you go, but memories from your past hunts will be with you forever. SS

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »
Over the past 2 or 3 years, I've bought/sold/traded several bows.
I posted a thread a few months back about finding yourself in traditional archery.  I think one aspect of that, for some, is finding the one or two bows that just work for you and your style.
I think, though, I could be happy with my couple of MOABs, my Kwyk Styk, and my Stalker.
But there are so many bows out there I've not even held (let alone shot).  Sixby is building me one of his Talon II's and I've really got it bad for a Hill Country Bobcat.
So, I guess the short answer is:  No,  can't do just 1 or 2 at this time...LOL
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 11:47:00 PM »
The last three I bought were going to be the last bow I bought.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline dagwood64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 01:08:00 AM »
I am a one bow guy, but am currently checking the classifieds for a mistress.  :bigsmyl:
DEER THE OTHER RED MEAT!

62" Sasquatch T/D Hybrid 47@28
64" Sasquatch T/D Static Tip RC 50@28
64" Flatliner Stealth 45@29
64" Thunderstick III 55@29, for now.
60" Big Rock Black Hunter 35/40@28 (Daughter's)

Sirach 2:1-11

Offline Longrifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
I have 7 bows- 3 Habus,( 2 RC & 1 LB) a Schafer RC, an Eagle wing LB, one Hill Country Bobcat LB, and a Blacktail Elite RC. I've narrowed down this season to the Eagle Wing & the Schafer as back up.

Oh yeah, then there's the old Bear Kodiak Hunter and Ben Pearson Cougar that I have out on loan to beginners.......

I can only be a 1-2 bow guy from Aug-Dec!    :dunno:      :dunno:      :dunno:

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Longrifleman:
Oh yeah, then there's the old Bear Kodiak Hunter and Ben Pearson Cougar that I have out on loan to beginners.......

Good for you. You are furthering our sport by keeping bows to lend out to beginners. Personally I think we all should keep a beginners bow or three around plus arrows, gloves and armguards to become mentors in archery.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
I have settled on two great longbows and two great recurves.  It just depends on what I am using this season.  This year it will be my Palmer recurve as the primary.

Offline jrbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
Anything less than a dozen and you're below the poverty level. Seriously though my hat is off to anyone who gets into this hobby and can restrain themselves to 1 or 2 bows that to me is the ultimate act of will-power.
SAVE A STUMP SHOOT A DEER

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
Eight on the bow rack, and I bought another one today.  Oops . . ..

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
Who dies with the most toys wins.
Sam

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »
I am a one bow guy and prefer it that way.  I can only hunt one at a time anyway so why not be the best I can with the one bow that I have?

I buy and sell 2-piece take downs a little.  I've been looking for one that shoots better than my one-piece longbow for a few years and have yet to find one that does, so they all get sold.  I'd prefer a 2-piece because they would fit in my truck easier and don't have the bulk of a 3-piece, but I refuse to give up performance, a perfect grip, or a smooth as silk shot cycle to gain the utility of a 2-piece.  If I ever do find a bow that I feels out-performs my 1-piece then, I'll sell the Sierra and quit buying bows all together but until then I am a 1-bow man looking for a 2-piece to replace my 1-piece.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
I'm limited to one wife so I say more than one bow for sure hahaha.  I will say after trying many different bows of all types my current top three, two of which are forever keepers, are my Stewart, Habu, and Robertson.  The Stewart and Habu quite often make me consider being a 2 bow guy, but I just can't stop trying new ones.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 12:14:00 AM »
Very interesting to read everyone's views, and my utmost respect for you guys that can stick with one or two bows...  So many great ones out there I feel like I could easily have 20 or more if I had the funds to do so...  But, as it is now, I've got nine...  Our daughters each have one also, and my wife has her wheel bow...

Mine are:

2 MOABs
3 Thunderchilds
2 Widow recurves
2 Kwyk Styks

With Curt's recent review of the Timber Ghost, I find myself really wanting to order one... Maybe 56" Hybrid triple carbon in camo... and maybe two sets of limbs... I'd also like to get another MOAB about 10# heavier then my other two... Would also like to get a Widow PCH in camo with 2 sets of limbs...  

Wait... I was thinking of selling most of my bows not buying three more... I'm weak...    :(
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2013, 08:45:00 AM »
At least you are still in the single digits Jeff!  I've got one MOAB, and a sweet Kodiak Special that my wife, oldest daughter and I can all shoot.  Every time I think about getting another bow one of the kids outgrows theirs and I have to buy another one for them!  Mike Mecredy is on speed dial.....

Once I get caught up on kids bows I may have to call Ron Foley or Bob Sarrels, still haven't decided yet.

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
I think I could be a two-bow guy; I'm at three right now, and only shoot one of them regularly. Now that I've identified the features that both appeal to me and that are essential for me to shoot well, I'd like to convert the two back-ups into a primary bow.

I would never want to be a one-bow hunter for the same reason I'd never want to be down to one string for my favorite bow.  Though I wonder if there isn't a school of thought that it's as easy to buy a bow as a string, given the number of sticks some of us own    :D
Jim

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
I'm down to 2 griffins a zipper and a few selfbows. I'd like a 1 piece tip soon but other than that I'm shooting the best I ever had and I think its from shooting the same bow since last march.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
Izzy, don't go confusing things with facts and experience... The thought of shooting one bow for an extended period of time gives you a more intimate relationship with it and thus able to shoot it better/more consistently...  That's so crazy, it just might work!  ;)

My problem is, which bow would I pick to keep?  The thought of selling any one of the bows I currently own would be a tough one...  They all seem to have their niche in the grand scheme...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline TJK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
I have had as many as 10 bows at one time, I have settled on the "D" style Longbow's and have 3 right now. I also have an old Recurve that was my dad's that I will never part with and intend to use a couple of times this season. I can shoot pretty much the same woodies in any of my Longbow's and shoot them all about the same, so I am happy for now, but I did see another nice one for sale on the classified's. Lol....

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
Its takes blind faith in one bow and crazy will power like Ive never experienced before. I hate to objectify women but forgive me this one trespass. No, never mind, but take my word for it when the right one comes along you're gonna know it. Bow that is.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©