3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hope and Faith Sarrels of 2014  (Read 11539 times)

Offline Ladams

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hope and Faith Sarrels of 2014
« Reply #180 on: January 02, 2014, 02:43:00 PM »
I took a few pics of Hope in west texas.
A couple of her waiting in the woods and a coupler of her in some camp action.
Sweet Sweet Bow

Soverign balistick 62"62#@28
Soverign balistick 62"60#@28
Krewson Snakey Osage 64" 52#@28
Seven lakes longbow 64" 59#@28
Moab 62"58#@28"
Big Jim thunderchild 58" 50@28"

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: January 02, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »
Thanks Larry.  I got the tracking and says she should be here tomorrow!  Like I was saying earlier in the thread, my wife and I saw the bow in the process of being made when we stopped by Bob's shop.  I was impressed then so I'm sure I'll only be more impressed seeing the finished product.  Hopefully I'll get into some action with it.
Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 55@29

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake"

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: January 03, 2014, 05:05:00 PM »
Well I was moments away from heading out for the night and morning hunt when UPS showed up

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: January 03, 2014, 05:10:00 PM »
Got her strungup and several rounds of arrows through.  Left the other bow at home and headed to the country.  Just got to the stand for the evening hunt.  I'll keep you posted......

« Reply #184 on: January 03, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
Good luck, Zane!

Bisch

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: January 04, 2014, 12:27:00 AM »
Beautiful night out there.  Saw two doe and a buck heading my way but just have changed course somewhere along the way.  I did have a boar come in after dark though.  Had my head lamp on him, 15 yard broadside shot.  I usually shoot a 56" out of that ground blind and the top limb of hope hit the top of the blind and my arrow sailed over him.  Oh well, back at it in the morning.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: January 10, 2014, 08:39:00 PM »
Six days have passed. Any Faithful or Hopeful reports?
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: January 11, 2014, 01:29:00 AM »
I'm taking Hope out tomorrow for my last shot at a doe or spike this season.  Keep your fingers crossed for me.  Hopefully (no pun intended) I'll have something in range.

« Reply #188 on: January 12, 2014, 04:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by TexasStick81:
I'm taking Hope out tomorrow for my last shot at a doe or spike this season.  Keep your fingers crossed for me.  Hopefully (no pun intended) I'll have something in range.
The word and pics I got say Zane has a story to tell!

Bisch

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: January 12, 2014, 07:57:00 AM »
It'll be a bit before I can post the pics and tell the story but here's this to hold you over....

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: January 12, 2014, 08:50:00 AM »
:campfire:    :coffee:

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: January 12, 2014, 09:41:00 AM »
:campfire:
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: January 12, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
Definitely a nice addition to the Hope/Faith journey!  Fitting that this occur in Texas.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: January 12, 2014, 01:36:00 PM »
Okay, finally a chance to sit down.  The story really starts last weekend.  As I mentioned previously, the bow arrived minutes before I was walking out the door.  I didn't expect it to make it in until after the weekend.  I put it together, ran a few arrows through it and took it out.  

I have a stand several hundered yards from a fence line and a wheat field on the other side.  It's a great travel channel from their bedding area to several food sources.  I also have a feeder set up there as well.  I had been saving this stand for Hope.  I've had 7-10 doe within 5-15 yards viturally every time I've sat this stand.  I also had two nice 8 points within 3 yards the weekend before!  I just knew it would be perfect.  Well, the racoons managed to tear up the cage on the feeder and emptied the entire thing.  The wind was very high and I had a feeling they might not be just traveling through with the feeder out of commission, so I high tailed it a ground blind I built right on the edge of a field.  

An hour before dark I saw two doe and what looked to be a nice buck coming down a fence line headed my direction.  It was the last weekend to shoot a buck so I was pretty excited.  They disappeared into the brushline (as they normally do) but for whatever reason they never came out.  As I was getting ready to call it a night, something starting growling and snorting downwind.  I knew it was a lone boar letting anyone know he was coming in.  Come in he did, running off several racoons.  He was a good medium sized black boar, probably 200+.  I flipped my headlight on and let him adjust to the light for a bit.  Everything settled and he gave me a 17 yard broadside shot.  I had been rehearsing my shot mentally for 2 hours now (as my last shot on a deer several weeks prior went awry).  I drew, anchored, and the arrow was away.....

Unfortunately, as the arrow was about to leave the bow the top limb hit the top of the ground blind (I usually shoot my 56" out of this blind and I guess the extra 2" made the difference).  The sound of the "ding" and my arrow soaring over his back left a sick feeling in my gut.  I hoped he might come back in but no luck.  

I sat the next morning at the stand I previously mentioned but the wind was very high and not much was moving.  Late morning I see the herd of doe move into the wheat field several hundred yards off.  I know that all I have to do is wait for them to move back to their bedding area for them to walk right past me.  And then all hell broke loose, they start running every where and I can't figure out what has them so spooked.  Then I see a jeep driving across the field!  I guess the land owners decided to go for a joy ride and blow my entire morning.  

The weekend wasn't a total loss, I did manage to make a head shot on this guy on my walk out.  A little Texas dillo for Hope.  More to come....

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: January 12, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
I'll be traveling all week starting Tuesday so the plan was to wait till I get back to try and take a doe during the extended doe season.  I happened to look at the Texas parks and wildlife page Friday and saw that the season ends on the 19th so if I didn't get out yesterday then it wasn't going to happen.  So my lovely wife was kind enough to let me out for about the third weekend in a row.

The weather had been rainy here for two days prior but the weather cleared just in time.  It did hear up though and it was nearly 70 degrees when I got there.  I thought I'd taken care of the primary stand and the wind was perfect for it.  After the 1/2 mile hike there I was saddened to see the racoon had emptied it again (I'm going to get him soon btw).  So I started hiking to another seldom hunted stand off a creek.  We call this stand the triangle because the creek bends around it to make a traigle.  The wind was absolutely wrong but it was now or never so I climbed up in the 12' tripod.  It was a beautiful afternoon at least.  

The creek:

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: January 12, 2014, 05:46:00 PM »
:campfire:    :archer:
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

« Reply #196 on: January 12, 2014, 06:10:00 PM »
Zane, call me! I can tell you haw to solve your problem with the coons!

Congrats again, my friend!

Bisch

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: January 12, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »
So where was I, I settled in for the afternoon hunt with Hope along for the ride

I hadn't sat in this stand yet (typically my brother-in-law hunts this spot) so I had no idea where they might be coming from.  I expected that they'd be moving along the edge of the creek but couldn't be sure.  The red birds were everywhere which was nice to see but they were making tons of noise in the leaves so I couldn't really get the jump on anything coming in.  

As the day was drawing near an end I was starting to feel discouraged.  There have been so many opportunities over the season to take a doe (or buck) but I've been holding off till Hope showed up and now I was worried it was all for not.  Then I heard some movement in the leaves.  I wasn't too hopeful because I'd been hearing that all afternoon long, getting excited, only to see a bird.  This time it was different.  A doe was coming along the edge of the creek and I thought she'd be heading right into a shooting lane.  The downside was that happened to be downwind.  She was by herself and having not sat in that stand before I was unsure just how big she was.  She was healthy but I wanted to make sure she wasn't too small.  

After considering it, I decided to take the shot.  I had been rehearsing just this shot in my mind the entire time.  I drew back and picked a spot behind her shoulder.  Away the arrow went.  

I was pleased to see it land exactly where I was aiming.  I was very surprised by the crack of my 200g VPA hitting bone really hard.  So hard in fact it nocked her completely off her feet on to her side.  There appeared to be about 11-12 inches of penetration.  She was unable to get up.  I climbed down and placed a second shot through her rib cage between her legs and she expired very quickly.  

She was quartering away further than I realized and it drove into her offside shoulder.  My concern about her size was relieved when I approached her.  She was a nice healthy mature doe.  A blessing of an afternoon and Hope did her job well.  

I don't know that I'll really be able to get out with her again before I have to ship her off but maybe Bisch and I can take his Hope and the one I'm using out for some Texas hogs.  

I was by myself so no hero pics, sorry

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: January 12, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »
Nice going Zane!

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter