3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hope and Faith Sarrels of 2014  (Read 11484 times)

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hope and Faith Sarrels of 2014
« Reply #420 on: October 10, 2014, 09:37:00 AM »
Numerous times in the past I've had bears on the bait when I showed up so I slowly staked my way into my stand location.  As the bait barrel came into view my anticipation for the hunt faded quickly.  The barrel was still upright and obviously hadn't been touched since I re-filled it 2 days ago.   Every other time I'd filled it this year it had been hit within 3 hours of me leaving.

Still, I hoped for the best and quickly attached my climber to the tree and got into position, sweating profusly the whole time.   As I got settled in I could hear acorns falling from the trees around me and knew from past experience my hunt was over.   I sat until dark but as expected, the bears didn't show.  I came back the early the next morning again hoping to see a tipped over barrel as I approached but again, it hadn't been touched.  I sat until about 10:00 and again nothing showed.  

I plan on going back this weekend and seeing if the bears have gotten back on the bait, if not I'll take Hope next week after deer.  

Here are a couple of pics of Hope in the tree.

« Reply #421 on: October 10, 2014, 10:23:00 AM »
Man, I sure was hoping for a different ending! As I said above, we experienced the same thing. The acorns just turned them off like there was never any there.

Good luck for the rest of your time with Hope!

Bisch

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #422 on: October 10, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
Aaron,

Great pictures, brings back good memory of my time in Arkansas, and I still have a boy who lives there (Conway).

Much like down here on the Gulf Coast Hot and Humid during the early seasons.

Hope the deer cooperate better.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #423 on: October 10, 2014, 11:39:00 AM »
Bisch...I was hoping for a different ending too!  It's really hard to compete with acorns even when you keep bait out continuously, when you let it run dry and they move on it's usually game over but it was a risk I had to take if I wanted to elk hunt this year.  

John...my bear hunting spot is only about a 30 min drive from Conway.

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #424 on: October 13, 2014, 05:38:00 PM »
I took Faith out Thursday morning. I had a small 6 pointer about 25 yards behind my stand, but couldn't get a shot.    I returned later for an afternoon and evening hunt. Several does passed by to my right but were too far. It was still good to know there are plenty of deer to see while on stand. I will try again this Thursday. The weather report calls for rain, but I will be out regardless.  
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #425 on: October 13, 2014, 06:04:00 PM »
Good luck guys! Hope and Faith need a little more mojo for the kids next year.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #426 on: October 21, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »
Any updates?
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #427 on: October 22, 2014, 04:55:00 AM »
Still no luck. It always seems to pour on my day off. I'm going out again tomorrow but once again it is supposed to rain all day. I hope I catch a break.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #428 on: October 22, 2014, 07:07:00 AM »
I got ran out of the woods last week in a downpour. I know the feeling.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #429 on: October 24, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »
It rained all day yesterday, but still went out in the afternoon. All I saw was a DEC officer as I was leaving. He did compliment Faith and thought she was a beautiful bow. Just a few more days with her then off to Florida.

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #430 on: October 27, 2014, 09:38:00 AM »
I was able to get some time in the treestand with Hope this weekend chasing deer.  The weather forecast was extremely warm (highs around 85 both days) but it was going to be my last chance to hunt with Hope so I decided to make the best of it.  I headed down to the cabin late Friday night after my son's soccer game.

The wind was going to be out of the SW so I decided to hunt a pinch point between two sloughs not far from the river that would be perfect for a Southerly wind.  I had motor troubles with the boat Saturday morning and by the time I could figure out the problem (bad gas)and drive all the way in to town to get fresh gas it was about 9:00 am.   I decided to go hang my stand so I wouldn't have to do it in the heat of the day that afternoon.

The parking spot

Here's a pic of Hope and my stand on the way to hang it.  That's the river in the background

This is at my stand location.  That's one end of the slough beyond Hope.

Another pic at my stand location.  The trail comes off that point just to the right of my steps

As I got close to my stand the ground was covered in acorns and fresh track were everywhere.  I didn't walk over to the main trail but I could see it was getting pounded.  I hung my stand quickly and backed out.

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #431 on: October 27, 2014, 02:07:00 PM »
:campfire:
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #432 on: October 28, 2014, 08:50:00 AM »
Around 2:30 that afternoon I quickly parked the boat, gathered my gear and slipped in toward my stand.  Even with the short 1/4 mile walk from the river I was sweating by the time I reached my stand.  I climbed up quickly and pulled up Hope.  As I settled in I glanced up and noticed a nice bonus, a Persimmon tree right in front of me was loaded.  I could also see the main trail was covered in tracks.  

Persimmon Tree

A zoomed in shot of the main trail

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #433 on: October 28, 2014, 08:57:00 AM »
I turned my thermacell on as the mosquitoes were awful and settled in.   After a few hours of waiting I heard splashing in the slough to my right.  I knew a deer was more likely to come around the end than go through the slough so I was curious what was causing the noise.  

The slough

After a few minutes the noise was coming closer and finally I could make out the cause.   An otter was zig zagging his way down the narrow slough pushing any fish that were left in it from the yearly floods to one end where he could easily trap them against the bank and catch them.  It was pretty neat to see I wasn't the only one out hunting.

A pic of the otter.  That's him near the middle of the picture in the water right above the bank

Other than a few coons that came to the persimmon tree that was all the action I saw Saturday afternoon

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #434 on: October 29, 2014, 09:24:00 AM »
Sunday morning I pulled the boat back up to my familiar parking spot, quickly tied it and made my way toward my stand about 45 minutes before shooting light.   I expected the deer to be moving through pretty early on their way back to bed because of the heat and I wanted to give everything a chance to settle down well before they arrived.   I settled into my stand and enjoyed the sounds of the night while I waited on the sun to rise.

As the sun came up and it became light enough to shoot my anticipation was high. The wind was suppose to be out of the SW which would be a perfect crosswind but it was almost perfectly calm at daylight.  I worried that with no wind pushing my scent away it would settle and give me away. I hoped the wind would pick up a little and sat back hoping for the best

Hope in the tree

As the minutes slipped by and no deer showed up my anticipation and my alertness slowly faded away.  My mind began to drift and I started thinking about my upcoming hunt in Kansas which was only two weeks away.  I started thinking about all the stuff I needed to do before I left and decided I needed to make a list so I didn't forget anything.  It was getting late enough now that my confidence in seeing a deer was getting pretty low anyway. I pulled my phone out and stared typing a "To Do" list looking up and scanning the woods ever so often.

After getting a few lines typed I glanced behind me and saw the rear end of a deer no more than 25 yds away and headed toward me on the main trail. As his head cleared a tree and I could see he was a nice 8pt, not huge but probably 16" wide and plenty big for my first buck tag. Unfortunately, he had slipped in without making a sound and caught me with my pants down.  I slowly slipped the phone back in my pocket and stood up slowly.  I managed to get in position to shoot without him seeing me and he was now about 20 yds shielded by brush and heading my way.  I needed about 5 more yards before he came into an opening where I could shoot.  As he moved forward I started putting tension on the string then just as his head came into the opening he locked up and threw his head in the air.  I knew my fears about the wind were proving true and as quickly as he appeared, he turned and bounded away.

Here is the opening the buck was walking into.  His head was just behing the right fork of the closest tree when he winded me

A few minutes later I heard more deer coming from the same direction.  4 does appeared on the same trail.  I had a doe tag to fill too so I readied myself for the shot.  Unfortuanely this was an instant replay of what had just happened with the buck, they got to within 20 yds when one of them picked up my scent and blew out.

Unfortunately that was all the action I saw that morning. I pulled my stand, walked back to the boat and motored back toward the cabin.

A pic of the river on my way back.  The cabin is just around that far bend

Here's one of the cabin

Unfortuantely that would end my time hunting with Hope.  I wasn't able to take any animals with her but I sure had a good time trying and really enjoyed shooting her.  She is a sweet shooter for sure.   Thank you to the Sarrels for donating her and giving us the opportunity to hunt with her and for the money it will eventually provide for St Jude.

« Reply #435 on: October 29, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »
Looks like a neat place you get to hunt, Aaron!

Good luck in KS!

Bisch

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #436 on: November 01, 2014, 08:03:00 AM »
Hope arrived yesterday, I got her put together and strung up last night while sitting around the house waiting for trick or treaters and visiting with my son who was home from college for the weekend. First impression is wow! - the bocote on the limbs is beautiful, the stippling on the grip is very nice.  My wife is really impressed with it.  Planning on shooting her first thing this morning when it gets light and have her ready to hunt for the afternoon.  I'm going to hit it hard the rest of the weekend,  things are heating up around here.  Next couple weeks ought to be prime time. I have some time scheduled off work the next few weeks, plus the weekends,  so I hope to give Hope a good shot at something while she's with me.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

« Reply #437 on: November 01, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »
Good luck, Burnsie!

Bisch

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #438 on: November 01, 2014, 07:38:00 PM »
Go get some meat Burnsie, Hope was tired of Seafood while I had her   :p
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #439 on: November 05, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
Faith seems to be stuck in the mail.  RockNBow sent her out last week right on time and she shoulda been here Monday...but USPS seems to want to hold on to her a little longer LOL.  Hopefully today!  Fingers crossed!

Upon receipt my first order of business will be a photo spread and review.  Then out for hunting hopefully Friday or Sunday!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©