3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hope and Faith Sarrels of 2014  (Read 11479 times)

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hope and Faith Sarrels of 2014
« Reply #440 on: November 06, 2014, 04:19:00 AM »
Hope shooters...

I'll have her in December, and was wondering what arrows have been shooting well out of her? I draw 28", and normally shoot 51# bows, so I may short draw her a tad. Especially with all my winter gear on. So, if anyone has any recommendations, I'd appreciate it. The less time I have to spend tuning, the more time I'll have hunting. Thanks.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #441 on: November 06, 2014, 10:25:00 PM »
Work has had me tied up this week, so im just getting around to reporting on my weekend with Hope. I had high hopes for the weekend,  but I totally forgot that November 1 was the opener for pheasant season in Illinois and the Public land I hunt got hit real hard with hunters.  This has actually work to my advantage in the past when deer were pushed my way, but such was not the case this time. Sunday morning was was a brisk 22 degrees and I was out before light. I really felt things would be moving, no wind and it just had that deer feel to it. It was a beatiful morning though,  I took a few shots of my area.

I was a little more hopeful, when I looked from my stand I saw this fresh rub no more than 8-10 yds away.

The evening hunt was super windy, so I stayed on the ground.  Had a visit from this little guy.

I have half a day off Friday (tomorrow)and all weekend to hit it hard. I've got to maximize my time in the woods now, it's on!
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

« Reply #442 on: November 07, 2014, 09:08:00 AM »
Good luck, Burnsie!

Bisch

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #443 on: November 08, 2014, 12:32:00 PM »
Go get'm Burnsie     :archer2:  

Pheonixarcher ...I was shooting Easton Axis 500's with 100 grain inserts and Robin Buck broadheads that weighed approx. 175grns with glue in inserts, they were cut at 29 1/2 "
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #444 on: November 08, 2014, 06:44:00 PM »
Faith arrived in FL today, finally!!  No fault of RockNBow, parcel post takes longer than priority but not this long!  USPS dropped the ball on this one.  Gonna pick her up from the PO on Monday.  That's November 11th.  Sheesh.  Does this mean I don't have to mail her out priority until first week of December eh Ken??   ;)  

Stay tuned for a full bow review on Pow Wow with lots of nice pics.  Then time for some hunting!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #445 on: November 08, 2014, 06:58:00 PM »
I'm glad she finally made it! I've been a nervous wreck.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #446 on: November 10, 2014, 03:07:00 AM »
Thanks elkken, I'm shooting axis 500's out of my current bow, close to those specs. Hopefully I won't have to tinker too much. Good luck Burnsie and nineworlds!

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #447 on: November 10, 2014, 11:15:00 AM »
Chuck,
You take your time and put some mojo on Faith.  Majority of my time hunting will be the last half of the month.
Saving  a tag for her.
Its ML season here and then gun for 2 weeks.  Spent time scouting a bit this morning.  We had a great acorn crop, but they are about gone or rotten and deer are starting to show back up in the fields.  Checked out one of my favorite places here on the family place and have a ground blind almost complete that will be perfect for our prevailing west wind.  Will try to put some pics up later so you can see what you'll be sending her off to.
Good luck bro!
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #448 on: November 10, 2014, 04:07:00 PM »
Thanks Ken,
I picked her (Faith) up from the PO this morning fellas.  

Jeez Louise on the packaging tube!!!  A little overkill I think.  4" thin wall tubing would have been plenty I'm sure.  At least its safe!  No wonder Rock N' Bow shipped her 'parcel post'! LOL.  Shipping this 'bomb casing' is gonna be hefty done Priority insured.  

Anyway, got her unpacked at home and on the rack.  She's obviously seen some use, which is the whole idea!  Hehe. Very handsome bow.  I like the grip already.  Great contour and nice lower wrist.  Stippling is a plus.  Mass weight is nice, middle of the road.  I'm not a big fan of the fade into the riser limb butts with super thin edges or the felt padding between the riser and limbs, but that's just me.  The woods are excellent and the limb tips are very nicely sculpted spear points.  The fit/finish is handsome and its well made.  Its a hunters bow.  I would be proud to own one.  If I had to compare it to other bowyers' work I would put it in the same company as Bigfoot, Black Creek, or Dryad Designs, leaning more toward Dryad as far as what it reminds me of most.

I plan on a nice photo spread and more in depth review once I get a chance to shoot it.

I am excited to shoot it/ practice with it soon!  Going to take her hunting Friday!

***Update this evening:

She's a shooter!  Less than 15 minutes after I went outside this eve I had the brace tuned to 7.25", nock point to my liking, and a full length Centershot 400 with 50g insert and 125g shooting laser beams at 22yd.  Very fast flat shooter.  Very quiet bow, I'd say near as quiet as one of my Slammers.  Heart and double lung shots on my target at 22yd piece of cake.  She'll hunt!

She definitely reminds me most of a Black Creek Siren or Dryad Orion.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #449 on: November 13, 2014, 05:05:00 PM »
I'm heading out tomorrow before first light with Faith, going to hunt dawn to about 2-3pm.  Wish me luck.  I'm loving shooting this bow, 100% a shooter.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #450 on: November 14, 2014, 03:48:00 AM »
Nock 'em dead nineworlds9!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #451 on: November 14, 2014, 10:06:00 AM »
Today's hunt will have to get pushed to tomorrow or Sunday
   :(  

Woke up early this a.m. and our daughters respiratory/cold issues got a little worse (whole family has been battling bronchitis over past three weeks) so I got elected to keep her home from school and let her rest.  

Bummer but I enjoy being a dad, so the critters will have to wait another day or two.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #452 on: November 16, 2014, 10:34:00 AM »
Well, once again work did not allow me to do any hunting this past week, although I was able to slip out for a half day on Friday (11/14/14).
I have been kind of feeling bad that I probably haven't been giving Hope the time and attention she deserves,  but my last two outings have been real fun and have my energy level high.
On Friday's hunt I got in the woods about 1:00.  I tried a new area on the public ground I hunt, I decided to stay on the ground because I did not want to spend a lot of my limited time locating a suitable tree and getting everything set up.  Once in the woods I quickly spotted a promising natural hide where two large trees had fallen over in a criss-cross fashion, making a little triangle I could hide in. A few trimmed branches and I was good to go. It was chilly, but I had dressed for the weather, so I settled in.  I grunted and bleated every 20 minutes or so. Finally around 4:30 I heard a couple footsteps behind me that sounded different from the squirrels that had been annoying me all afternoon (did I mention, I hate squirrels). I slowly peered behind me and there stood a nice doe only 5-6 yds away. I must have been day dreaming because I don't know how she strolled up that close without noticing her. It was brushy behind me, she was looking right at me, and I would have had to do a full 180 get into a position to shoot, so that wasn't going to happen. She knew something was up, but wasn't able to figure me out in my full leafy suite and head net.  For a second it looked like she was going to turn around and head back the way she came, but then she decided to keep heading the direction I originally hoped for when picking the spot. She walked around the end of the two large root balls of the fallen trees, which gave me a few seconds to position my feet and get ready for her to clear the other side.  But instead of coming directly out the other side, she veered to her left away from me.  She eventually veered back to the right in front of me, but by this time she was 20-25 yds out.  That is pretty much out to my max comfort zone, but the distance wasn't what kept me from shooting,  it was the fading light.  I was well within legal shooting time, but I swear my eyes have totally went to heck the past 5 years or so when it comes to dim light conditions.  The more I tried to focus on a spot the fuzzier the picture got.  I had to look away a couple times and blink to clear my vision, but when I tried to focus again my eyes would water and blurr up. Needless to say I never got comfortable enough to take a shot and she walked.  This is unfortunate, because on the public ground I hunt you are required to shoot a doe before taking a buck. This has burnt me in the past when I had to pass on nice bucks because I had not taken a doe yet.

I wanted to spend as much time as possible in the woods over the weekend because next weekend is the first 3 day gun season for Illinois and archery is not allowed.  The bigger reason was that my prime rut time was quickly fading and this would be my best chance with the cold weather.  A friend of mine texted me a pic of a bruiser 8 point he picked up midday on Friday.  He had been sitting a lot that week and told me the deer were on the MOVE! His best action was happening between 10:00 and 2:00. I decided to do an all dayer if needed, but was defintely going to be in the woods during the 10-2 timeframe.  I was in the woods at first light,  my encounter with the doe the evening before convinced me to stay on the ground again.  I found another broken over tree and hunkered in the notch it created. I felt good about the spot because it was right at a pinch point between two larger sections of woods and there were several well used trails.  It was a balmy 15 degrees and I was beginning to wonder how long I was going to be able to stay put.  Around 8:45 I spotted a deer coming towards me down the trail, I stooped behind my stump and got ready. As it came closer I could see it was a nice heavy bodied buck, but had a tall straggley fork horn rack, possibly a 6 point. I'm not a horn hunter, so he was defintely a shooter to me, but there was that pesky doe thing that was coming back to bite me again.  But this is where things got fun. As I stooped behind the tree stump/log the buck continued to walk straight towards me and was eventually directly on the the other side of my blind 2-3 yards away.  I tried to keep my face behind the jagged pieces that stuck up from the log so I didn't make eye contact with him.  He then walked around the stump to my left and passed by me at 4-5 feet! I was totally exposed and he never made me out or spooked - the leafy suite really did its job.  He just continued to stroll on by out of site.  I sat back, and whispered to myself "now that was cool!" It really makes you feel like a predator when you can pull something like that off.  A lot different than being 15-20 feet up in a treestand.
So, Hope and I haven't made meat yet, but those two close encounters really made my season, I'm going to be doing the ground thing a lot more in the future, really exciting! I have some family stuff this morning, but will be out all Sunday afternoon.  We are suppose to get some snow, so maybe that will keep them moving?

I pic of the blind the buck passed by. He walked right next to the small tree on the left, I was in the bare dirt spot.

"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #453 on: November 16, 2014, 12:37:00 PM »
Now that's hunting, Burnsie! That forkie buck will make it to gun season and never know how close he was to a bowhunter who knew how to hide.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #454 on: November 16, 2014, 05:55:00 PM »
I finally got Faith out hunting for the first time this morning, right before first light.  Traveled the logging road parallel to the river at my favorite local WMA and then stalked my chosen habitat transition- a pine/brush "bedding area" that borders a hardwood swamp/flood plain that leads to the river.  Weather was great and I felt good.  All I ended up seeing was squirrels. 

Here's a pic of the swampy woods/ flood plain area:

Its a great area with a big watering hole right where the pines/ brushy 'bedding area' meet it.  Lots of tracks by the hole.  Its also same area I put that awesome stalk on that big deer back in July.

Found a decent trail of this poop this morning after the sun came up.  It was fresh, still glistening.  Whatever it was I think I just missed it.  Looks like hog or deer.

Got to hunt to 10am when I had to cut it short due to wife.  Shoulda left the phone in the car.  Gonna hit the National Forest sometime during the week.  Better luck next time.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 01:19:01 PM by nineworlds9 »
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #455 on: November 16, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
Keep at'em Burnsie and Chuck!
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #456 on: November 20, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
Heading out now to a spot I like in the National Forest.  Its been cold enough there should be some day activity.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #457 on: November 20, 2014, 07:51:00 PM »
Well,
I hit my chosen area of the Apalachicola National Forest around 1030 am.  Hunted along the Ochlockonee river within about 200yds of the river for several hours, playing the air currents and just trying to move slow and quiet and spot some game.  It was cool out all day and sunny, and we have had freezing temps the last few nights.  Good stuff.

I had to settle for a middle of the day hunt simply due to work/family logistics. 

Anyway, I walked for a while, and finally decided to set up my chair right on the border between the dry swamp area bordering the river and the oak/ palmetto hammock that paralleled it inland.  I found a nice clearing with some pines and oaks and lots of acorns on the ground.  I setup the chair and figured I might see something heading toward the river as the day went on.

I'm sorry to say I didn't end up seeing any deer or pigs.  Lots of squirrels of course.  Lots of bird activity, including a really neat Owl "sonata" LOL.

But toward the end of my allotted time I did score.     

Thanks Faith!!

I picked a spot, came to full draw, and let it fly...visualizing the arrow hitting its mark, which it did.

It is a fascinating sound when a sharp broadhead tipped arrow hits where its supposed to on an animal.

That raccoon acted like it had just been tazed.  It bolted up the tree, and I could clearly see that my arrow had perfectly transected its rib cage right behind the elbow and come out the other side...it was likely a double lung pass through but the arrow got stuck on the fletching inside its chest cavity.  This was worrisome as it was more or less partially plugging the hole!!

No worries, I could already hear the blood dripping down.  I looked at the ground at the base of the tree and sure enough bright red blood was steadily raining down.  The coon had climbed as high up into the slender tree as it could..it made it up about 15 feet.  With my arrow still sticking completely out one side.  It gnawed and bit at the arrow, finally chewing through the carbon shaft partially, as I could see the arrow flop down where it had been biting at it.

By this time I already had a second arrow on the string, and was waiting to see what would happen.  The blood that was accumulating on the ground said the wound was mortal, but the coon's behavior said it wasn't going down fast or easy.

Meanwhile the second raccoon climbed the tree right next to my target's.  At this point I contemplated taking the second one, but it was a very high angle shot, and I didn't to risk either pinning that one to the tree 15ft up, or pinning them both with the same arrow.

I started moving around the tree, assessing what I might do, and trying to wait out the one I shot. 

After about 10 minutes from the initial shot it finally lost its hold and fell down from the canopy.

Again, all the bright red blood had me shaking my head that this animal was still not ready to give up. 
All the blood aside, I knew it was the fletched end of my arrow that was delaying the process. 

As I came around the tree, to my surprise it had a hollow in it, and the mortally wounded raccoon had crawled inside to take refuge about 7 feet above the ground. 

I did not want it to die up in the hollow, so I reached up with my second arrow and poked it. 

This elicited a snarl that actually surprised the heck out of me.

This did the trick though.  The coon crawled up out of the hollow, now about 10 feet up.  I moved into position for another broadside shot, and planned angle wise so I didn't have to shoot straight up and might actually recover my arrow.

I got it lined up and once again picked a spot and perfect hit!  Right behind the elbow into the chest cavity and this time a total pass through like butter.  My arrow lodged tip first in a smaller tree behind where I shot.  I would retrieve it by knocking it down later.

1 more minute and the tough coon fell down to the ground.

The second raccoon was long gone by now. 

I gutted the dispatched coon and examined the inside of the chest cavity.  My fletching had indeed partially plugged the first hit, massive as the blood loss was to my eyes on the ground, there was even more blood flooded inside the body cavity.  The heart was also lacerated.  This was perhaps from the second arrow?  Can't be sure. 

Anyway, even though I left the woods today with "only" a raccoon, it was exhilarating.

This big ol' raccoon is now on ice, waiting to be skinned out and cooked.

I will tan the hide, flesh out the skull etc also.

Faith was a joy to carry and shoot today.  I was shooting full length Beman Centershot 400s with 3x5 shields, 50g insert and 125g Magnus Stingers.  The first arrow was a 2 blade Stinger, the second arrow a 4 blade Stinger.  I think the 4 blade really did the trick on the second shot.   

Here she is, big female coon:

More pics and story there:

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=141132
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 01:29:09 PM by nineworlds9 »
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #458 on: November 20, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
Congrats!
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #459 on: November 20, 2014, 09:59:00 PM »
Bandit Mojo for Faith!!!!

Awesome!!!!
Ken Adkins

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©