3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hope and Faith Sarrels of 2014  (Read 11466 times)

Re: Hope and Faith Sarrels of 2014
« Reply #460 on: November 20, 2014, 10:19:00 PM »
Congrats again. Chuck!

Way to get it done!

Bisch

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #461 on: November 23, 2014, 03:19:00 PM »
Too cool!  This is an awesome idea, and an awesome thread.  One of these years I'm going to get in on this!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #462 on: November 30, 2014, 08:45:00 AM »
Well, Hope is on her way to Pheonixarcher in Michigan, hopefully he has better luck with her than I did. After our first gun season (no archery allowed)I was able to take her out on one last hunt Thanksgiving day.
My Father-in-laws land adjoins a section of Public land that I have never hunted before, so I decided to still hunt/explore the area, making a huge circle and eventually arriving at the backside of his house just in time for a late afternoon Thanksgiving dinner.  It was cold and windy, with a fresh skiff of snow and I was hoping to see some fresh sign.  No significant sign in the fresh snow,  but I did find several nice rubs and scrapes - defintely worth taking another look in the future.
Hope is a great bow, Mr Sarrels did himself proud, once she is done with her journeys it should bring some much needed funds to St. Judes.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #463 on: December 02, 2014, 04:49:00 PM »
Well, the PO tried to deliver Hope yesterday, but I wasn't home. So I had just enough time to pick up the package before work, but I haven't opened it yet. It's going to be a long night! Lol.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

« Reply #464 on: December 02, 2014, 08:34:00 PM »
Good luck with her, Paul!

Bisch

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #465 on: December 06, 2014, 08:53:00 PM »
Aside from a bit of shooting in the basement, I haven't had much time to tune Hope. I was finally able to commit some time to her today. I ran out of light before I could confirm broadhead flight, but my bare shafts are flying good and in the same group as fletched arrows. I don't expect any surprises.

I like the grip and the way the bow shoots for me.  I've been pretty consistent given my limited time with her. With any luck, I'll get Hope in the woods tomarrow.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #466 on: December 08, 2014, 11:00:00 PM »
Faith is on her way to Ken priority mail, got to keep her an extra week since I got her late and Ken was going to be busy this week.  Loved shooting her and had a blast snagging that coon.  The Blueridge SR is a wonderful shooting 3pc longbow.  Going to post my review soon.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #467 on: December 12, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »
Just picked Faith up and am leaving for the weekend with family.
Hope to shoot her some Sunday.  Then, will start having time to hint next Friday.
Thanks Chuck!
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

« Reply #468 on: December 12, 2014, 05:07:00 PM »
Good luck, Ken!

Bisch

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #469 on: December 12, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
Keep the lefty mojo goin Ken!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #470 on: December 15, 2014, 04:54:00 AM »
I wish I had better news to report, but the hunting has been a little slow for me. My hunting time has been limited as of late, and the weather, for this time of year up here, has made things rather difficult. I have one stand in particular, that has proven itself for the late season over the years, that has been unproductive, do to the lack of snow and cold weather. I'm hoping next week, the weather will be a bit more cooperative, as I have saved an antlerless tag (and still have a buck tag) and this particular stand, in an effort to show Hope a good time.

None of my other stands, or late season areas are showing much sign either. So, I'm really depending on the weather right now. Not the smartest of moves I'm sure, but with my limited time to get out, it's all I got right now.

On the plus side, Hope has been very easy to get along with. The grip fits my style of shooting well, and the stipling is great. I'm not much a fan of checkering, so I was a bit apprehensive of the stipling, but I'm finding I like it more and more.

Broadheads are flying true and to the mark. I'll try and remember to get a few pics the next time I get her out.

Good luck with Faith Ken!

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #471 on: December 19, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »
Well, I finally got to spend a bit of time with Faith this afternoon.

What a sweet bow!  It has to be one of the smoothest drawing bows I've ever shot.  It feels no where near 54#@28".

After setting my nock point, I took 5 AD Trad Lite arrows with 200 gr. points outside to give her a whirl.

Here are my first 5 shots with Faith at 17 yards.

I believe Faith and I are going to get along very nicely...lol.

My plans are to hunt some tomorrow.

Have to work Sun through Tue.  Hopefully will get out some more starting Christmas day.  Will have the rest of the month off to hunt.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

« Reply #472 on: December 19, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
Good luck Ken!!!

Bisch

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #473 on: December 22, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »
Awesome Ken!  I told you she was a shooter!  Yup didnt feel near 54#.  I will either try and bid on that bow during St. Jude's or I will plan on having an SR from Sarrels direct at some point.  Just an awesome no-frills hybrid longbow.  My review will be posted to Pow Wow soon.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #474 on: December 25, 2014, 09:26:00 AM »
Chuck,
Matter of fact, I've been thinking the same thing.  I've talked with Bob already.  This bow just points so naturally for me, hard to explain, but only word I have is natural.
My first sit was uneventful with Faith.  No more opportunity to hunt until tomorrow.
Virginia's "Big 3" (deer, bear, turkeys) are open now, along with all small game.  So, if weather holds out, should be a good week.
Ken Adkins

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #475 on: December 29, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »
Sorry guys.  Weather has sucked here last 3 days.

Hope to get out this evening.
Ken Adkins

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #476 on: December 30, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
Spent the day out with Faith.  Really gotten to where I like this bow.

Hit the old family place a little late this morning.    We've had pretty well 3 days of continuous rain, been difficult to get decent weather to hunt.

Drove to the west end of the property and packed up for the trip in.

Here's the trail heading up the hill from where I parked.

There used to be an old one room school building right where I took this photo from.  I can barely remember it.  It was torn down in the late 70's.

On the walk up the hill, Faith and I found a couple of rubs.  Figured I'd snap a pic of her beside one of them.

Wind was virtually dead calm this morning when I woke up.  There was heavy overcast and temps in the 30's.  Now, while walking in, overcast is lessening a bit.  Breeze from the north is picking up and more steady.

Here's a pic at the top of the hill as the path flattens out.  This is an old strip mine.  this block of our place is about 35 acres.

Got settled into my stand.  Here's a panoramic shot of what I'm watching.

The north wind is a deal breaker for my current favorite stand here, so I tucked into some brush in the edge of a pine patch overlooking the field.  I've seen a lot of deer here throughout the years.  Just a couple of weeks ago, I had 9 does walk into  it.  I was now set up just 20 yards from their entry point.  Their normal travel would bring them by me at anywhere from 9 to 20 yards.

Me and Faith just hangin' out.  Waitin on some action.

After shooting Faith for a while, I settled on Victory V-Force HV shafts with 100 gr inserts and 175 grain VPA Terminators.  This setup is just a little lighter than I usually like (486 gr), but this bow absolutely shoots these like a lazer beam.

Unfortunately had nothing show in the field.  Will be heading back tomorrow, probably head to a different place altogether.

One last pic of Faith I took on the way in with an old stump and my Arrowmaster.

Hopefully things turn out a bit better tomorrow.  Time is winding down.
Ken Adkins

« Reply #477 on: December 31, 2014, 05:42:00 PM »
Looks like a cool place to hunt Ken!

What kind of feathers are those on your arrows? That is a cool looking pattern.

I spent the day at Mr. Sarrels shop today. He replaced a limb tip I broke on my Blueridge.

Good luck with Faith!

Bisch

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #478 on: December 31, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »
Thanks Bisch.

Those are TrueFlight Camo Feathers from 3 Rivers.

Here's the link:

http://www.3riversarchery.com/TrueFlight+Shield+cut+Camo+Feathers_i03L1X_baseitem.html
Ken Adkins

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #479 on: January 04, 2015, 09:28:00 PM »
Any More updates or are we done???
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<