3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ELK HUNT may break out  (Read 481 times)

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
ELK HUNT may break out
« on: September 03, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
My Bro and another bud are talkin me into goin to CO for elk.  My arm is hurtin from all the twistin.....  :laughing:  

IF this happens it will be soon, like Thurs. nite.

I have to be back for sure on a certain date, and I really don't wanna hunt with the orange army.

So tell me, someone who knows more about elk, would you go earlier when its warmer or go with the orange bunch?  :dunno:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ELK HUNT may break out
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
:biglaugh:  Go for it! I've never been before but personally I would rather go without the crowd. I've got a trip planned for next year and I'm going opening week.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
I actually prefer the week after the orange bunch.  Gets real quiet then. Doesn't take the elk long to settle down though. If you go when the orange is out, just get into the woods a little deeper.  That's good advice regardless.  Get at least a mile, 2 or 3 is better,  off the nearest trail or road, and you'll have it to yourself, and that's where the elk will be as well. Good luck.

Offline Sharpend60

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
Its still a little warm here in New Mexico, even at elevation...Im 3 or so hours from Colorado.

I did get into a screaming match with old bull yesterday however...

Go soon is my vote.

Oh and if your tag permits dont hesitate to stick a cow... Any elk is better than no elk.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
I gotta be here the last week.  We shall see if things fall in place!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
I have never hunted Colorado but I would think it would be better before the rifle hunters hit them. I'm headed out tomorrow again to try to fill a cow tag so I have chance before the late season rifle hits in December. I have had lots of bulls starting to get active even in the high desert country( 5000 ft./7000 ft)that I have been chasing cows. Good luck!

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
I had super hot weather most of my opening week of Colorado elk hunting in 2008.  It was rough going.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
All the ML tags are draw now, they have a fairly small army these days. Season opened a week later than usual and yes it's pretty hot right now, around 70 degrees at 10k is predicted through Monday in my area, looks like a minor cooling trend after that,one of the biggest problems is the forecast only shows like 50 for overnight low. Around the 23rd of Sept has been my best luck. I'd personally shoot for the time frame right before you have to be back home, weather should cool and elk should get active. If you decide to go again and you have more time to plan, put in for a draw unit, or put in for a couple of preference points for a few years and then put in for a draw unit. And shoot a cow if you get the chance, awesome meat and you don't come home with just memories, you come home with memories and a good bunch of meat. If I was coming here hunting OTC and nonresident, all I'd buy is a cow tag, but that's just me!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 03:44:00 PM »
I'm leaving in twelve days and I'm already losing sleep.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by kennym:
My Bro and another bud are talkin me into goin to CO for elk.  My arm is hurtin from all the twistin.....   :laughing:  

IF this happens it will be soon, like Thurs. nite.

I have to be back for sure on a certain date, and I really don't wanna hunt with the orange army.

So tell me, someone who knows more about elk, would you go earlier when its warmer or go with the orange bunch?   :dunno:  
Kenny, it's looking like some pretty hot weather here for a while.  It's about 90 right now and I'm just a few miles from the mtns.

But... (there's always a but  :)  ) Early, as in right now, is one of the good times to call a bull.  They are not as vocal now as later, but they are very interested.  A hot cow call works now.  Ya gotta do set-up after set-up and keep the faith even though you hear nothing.  They often come sneaking in like a coyote trying to get down wind of you.  Later the bigger bulls are going to have harems and they are not coming to any call and will move away from a bugle.

Have hunted amongst the ml guys as well as having been one of them and don't think it is at all relevant.  ML season would be my last criteria for deciding when to hunt.  Overall hunters afield may be less during ml season since many bow hunters stay home that week.

What unit are you planning on?
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »
There are those that will say later is better because they will be bugling more. In the last 20 years elk have learned to be quiet and live. Sure, you will hear a few bugles but calling one in is getting rarer and rarer. I've always said, "the earlier the better". The earlier you go, the less they have been disturbed and chased into more secluded places.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
X2 what has already been said. I would also add that earlier they are broken up into smaller bands and more spread out, I.e. more elk found in more places. The later it gets, the more they herd up and are harder to locate and call in. My two cents.....
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 07:19:00 PM »
Kenny, best of luck. Steve and I'll get a full report in three weeks   :bigsmyl:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline copicasso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
They are bugling!!!!!!. In case this helps persuade you. If not maybe I should post pics of the bulls at the water hole. :0

Offline copicasso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
They are bugling!!!!!!. In case this helps persuade you. If not maybe I should post pics of the bulls at the water hole. :0

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
Thanks a bunch guys, its gonna come down to when we can all cut loose.  :cool:  

Its lookin like Friday the 13th may be when we get going.

Thanks again!!  :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
It sounds like you're in for a good time Kenny.I'd say your timing is just right. Good luck and take lots of pictures.
-Jay

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
Thanks Jay! There will be pics!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
Good luck brother!   Nothing quite like chasing bugling bulls!   God bless and shoot straight!
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©