3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wheelie Sharpener - WOW  (Read 725 times)

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wheelie Sharpener - WOW
« on: September 04, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
I'm pretty good with a series of files, diamond hone, and a cardboard strop...but I bought a RADA Wheelie sharpener to use on some Tigersharks I picked up and WOW!!!!  I decided to mess with it more and do some knives and such and is the fastest and most efficient sharpener I've ever seen.  Very impressed.  I'll still file my Zwickey's and Woodsman's because I enjoy it -- but I can't see anyone convincing me that you can put a better edge any quicker than what you can with that wheelie sharpener.  Very surprised, and very impressed. ...oh, and super cheap!!!  Cheaper than 1 good file.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wheelie Sharpener - WOW
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
Yea they are fast but you'll notice that the edge they produce won't last at all.

Offline WRV

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »
I have several of them. Good sharpeners
Morrison Cheyenne TD 60" 50@28
Black Widow PSAX 60" 53@28
BUNCHA BIGHORNS
Genesis 27:3

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 02:05:00 PM »
I use one on Zwickey Delta 4 blades. Does a great job on the main blades.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »
Really!? I always thought those wheel sharpeners were junk. What makes this one work so well? Did you guys buy them directly from rada?
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »
Calgary Chef is right.  You're just tearing metal off the bevel and pulling up a forward facing burr.  The burr will cut you and you think it is a good sharp edge.  But, all burrs will soon fall off and you're left with an uneven, unsharpened edge(look with magnification.)   Also, most are unable to keep from damaging the blade profile. As you draw it towards you there will be a divot in the edge where it begins to "sharpen" and typically a "sway back" pattern to the edge at the midpoint of the blade.  

As a professional sharpener, I'd never get away with putting that kind of edge on a professional chef's tools!   Now if you want to try something that is reasonably priced for home and camp use, look at a Spiderco Triangle Sharpmaker.  Still not perfect, but worlds better than any opposing- wheel designs(motor-driven or not.)
Tom

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »
Started using the RADA last year with great results. Never leaves my fanny pack or Catquiver.

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 04:02:00 PM »
Put it on a leather strop after you use it and the edge will last.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »
I have used mine for 12+ yrs. without any damage or divots or sways in any of my blades. Actually the knives I have gotten since switching look better and hold better than any method I used before.

I love stuff that works great and doesn't cost a bunch.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline skunkhound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
A friend turned me on to the RADA, and I'm impressed. I do strop after sharpening, and I get shaving sharp results. Whether or not it changes the bevel, or doesn't hold, I can't say, but I'm pretty sure it'll go right through a deer.

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
I found the RADA sharpener to work very well.  For a keener edge use a strop, ceramic rod or butchers steel following the sharpener. Great for in the field sharpening.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
Video?
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by calgarychef:
Yea they are fast but you'll notice that the edge they produce won't last at all.
I'm not carving duck decoys with my broadheads..I'm shooting them into one critter at a time.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 11:46:00 PM »
Glad you are enjoying the wheelie sharpener.  I love mine and use it all of the time.  They especially shine with the Simmons style heads.  You don't need to take off much metal.  If you play with the angle a little bit, you can use it for lots of things.  If can quickly take a burr off from a single bevel too, if you use only light pressure and the right angle.  For me, apart from a plane bastard file, it is the most versatile piece of sharpening equipment available.  Small enought to stick in almost any size pocket, inexpensive, works great on nearly all 2 blades, and extremely quick to use.  If you hit rocks, you still need to use a file(half round for simmons heads) to take the big nicks out.  Lots of people have killed lots of game with light bows having sharpened the heads with nothing but the RADA wheel.  There are other methods available that put a great edge on, but I haven't found it to be necessary for me.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 11:53:00 PM »
As a note, don't forget the trailing edge of the broadhead, which some people think is the most important part.  You will find that in order hit that portion, you need to turn broadhead 180 degrees and pull through from front to back.  I do this, just hitting the rear portion of the blade for awhile and using strokes with decreasing pressure like normal.  Then I go back to back to front strokes to "blend" in the transition area.  Once again, you don't need to take much metal off.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
I love mine. Bought 2 for me and gave several to friends and family as well. I am pretty sharpening challenged but with a good file and the RADA sharpener, I can get consistent shaving edges on any two-blade that I have. I wish I had found this tool before selling my Landsharks due to sharpening frustration.

Works awesome on kitchen knives also.

Mark
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »
I love the rada. started using them on my 3 bladed BH's as well.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
Try Pulling The Rada Instead Of The Arrow When Sharpening Three Blades.  Hold The Arrow With Head Facing Forward And Pull.
chuckc

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 05:39:00 PM »
I found one of these at my local mom and pop hardware store--pretty impressive so far.  Just started to play with it.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 06:08:00 PM »
Just got mine today, tried on my Simmons TreeSharks, Shaving hair was never so easy !
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©