3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lighted Nocks and Pope and Young  (Read 656 times)

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lighted Nocks and Pope and Young
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
Like every club they have there clicks that make the rules. That is why I dropped out most of them. Only regular members can vote. I shoot what I want as long as it is legal in the state I'm hunting in. They are the only rules I follow.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
My personal club scores as bigun's or tastyun's. Bigun's can also be tastyun's its very complicated.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
A lighted nock is advantage but a bow with a 80% or whatever letoff and sights is not??    :laughing:  

Wheew that's a good one!

Eric

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »
X2 on the letoff issue! Locking/drawing aids aren't allowed but a holding weight of 15 lbs is acceptable.   :biglaugh:
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 01:13:00 AM »
For me,
Lighted nocks are a big advantage for recovering hogs in South Carolina swamps.  I will put an arrow with a lighted nock on about an hour before dark.  It is legal to hunt hogs after dark in SC.  There is No advantage in aiming.  Plus you can Not see where you hit the animal because the light path of the arrow distorts your vision where you hit.  But with multiple hogs coming & scattering at the sound of the bow shot, you Will get a good idea where your hog ran.  It is a tool to help in game recovery.  I also track wounded hogs in the dark with a 40 cal Glock as back up to my bow.  When I'm after guys like this in the dark & swamp, I want some help in putting them in the freezer not in P&Y.  JMHO...tippit

Visual hog recovery with just lighted nock...

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online bswear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
I have never shot a lighted nock but I will be trying this season.
I don't use trail cams because I don't think it is fair chase.  Don't use 80% let off for the same reason.  P&Y is not a factor in my life in any way but a one size fits all is really dumb and as an ethical hunter my goal is to find the animal after a hit.  Using as a ranging device is not a goal of a recurve shooter since for me I am inside 20 yards or no shot happens in the first place.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
Why would I need a lighted nock?  Because I'm blind in one eye, but I can still hit bullseyes all day long.  It's hunting that arrow down in the brush that I need help with.  If I couldn't make a clean shot, I'd just hang it up, but I can.  What I have problems with is that peripheral vision to hunt down the arrow if I miss.  Chasing a kill would certainly be helpful as well.  I'm after coyote most of the time, not deer.  Dead dark when I'm hunting.  Completely legal where I am, and we get asked to do it constantly by the game wardens.

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
I would like to apologize for drifting away from the subject with my comments.

There are some reasonable arguments for the use of lighted nocks. My hackles were raised with the wording of the pro argument from P&Y, which extended way beyond the issue at hand.
Chuck

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
i think a line has to be somewhere, and no electronics on a bow/arrow is a good thing. If ya dont agree than dont enter or support P&Y and then dont get your little asterik that it was a trad kill.. (if they are still doing that) i really dont see a true need in lighted nocks.  
 as traditional hunters we have the Compton archives
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
What is the big deal to get in Pope & Young? You know what it is and it just cost money to enter.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2013, 07:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by Craig:
Like every club they have there clicks that make the rules. That is why I dropped out most of them. Only regular members can vote. I shoot what I want as long as it is legal in the state I'm hunting in. They are the only rules I follow.
Same here.  Along with scents, baits, calls,etc...its all subjective.  Do what makes you happy.  I could care less what some club or forum member thinks as long as I am true to myself and hunt ethically and legally.
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline crafty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2013, 07:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by TSHOOTER:

Originally posted by Craig:
Same here.  Along with scents, baits, calls,etc...its all subjective.  Do what makes you happy.  I could care less what some club or forum member thinks as long as I am true to myself and hunt ethically and legally. [/b]
Well said.   :thumbsup:
~Archer By Heart, Bowhunter By Blood~

Offline Mike Theis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2013, 08:03:00 AM »
More 'evolving primitive weaponry'. The definition of an oxymoron. The state DNR's need to put a stop to this stuff. Can't use them, no one will buy them.
If man were to know everything in advance, there would be no such thing as adventure!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »
I can see the debate though, lighted nocks not Ok, but a trail cam that I can pattern a deer to the minute it will appear on an early season feeding pattern??? Makes no sense to me what they allow yet something that actually does not give an advantage(lighted nock) is not allowed! I hunt within the law for where and what state I am hunting, thats it. I will not enter any animal I kill in any record book. I do it for me and no one else. I will have it mounted out of respect for that animal. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »
I agree with what Shawn stated. I don't know why some things are allowed,but others aren't. I like hunting with a longbow or recurve,but with the bows that are glued up with epoxies,cnc machined broadheads,carbon arrows

Online RickE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
Shawn your take on it is pretty much exactly mine too.  If you start thinking too hard not much of it makes sense in today's 'modern' world.  I don't and won't enter any animals I shoot but I have some mounted ones in my house.  If someone made lighted nocks illegal here I'd quit using them except to shoot at targets because they're so much fun.  Everyone has to draw their own personal limitations.  Rick.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2013, 10:18:00 AM »
The problem with most regulations and guidelines is they don't/can't keep up with technological change. For that reason, some of what's legal isn't necessarily ethical. Regardless, folks can rationalize their use of any gadget or behavior. Sure do get their undies in a bundle when their own ox is being gored.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
I love my Nockturnals.  It worked perfectly last night and ended right at the end of my blood trail from a large doe.  I shot the doe an hour before dark but after dark it helped pinpoint where she was in the thick stuff, dead.  I don't care what the record books say, Im not entering them anyway.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
If technical things keep going like they have been, it won't be too long before you will be able to get a GPS fix on an animal you shoot.  Would that be bad?  It wouldn't help you to make the shot or stalk the animal, but would mean that almost all game would be recovered, other than animals with minor wounds that will probably heal by themselves anyway.

Then it becomes an interesting ethical consideration for P&Y:  do they go with tradition at the expense of lost game, or do they sacrifice tradition to increase the recovery rate of shot animals?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »
Where do we draw the line on equipment? and why?
a lot of modern things used today, I'll just go hunting (buy the laws per state) and enjoy life.
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©