3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Early season elk.  (Read 181 times)

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Early season elk.
« on: September 04, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
I'm looking at a Colorado OTC elk hunt next year and want to go early season. I'm looking at GMU 74. Anyone got any info on what elevations I should be looking for during the first or second week of September there? I found one spot I really like the look of but it is listed on the DFG website as a wintering are and is only around 9,000 feet with a few spots reaching 10,000. Any other advice on the San Juans would be greatly appreciated!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Early season elk.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
We went the second week of Sept a couple of years ago.  The elk were 10,500' and up.  Just my observance, definitely not an expert.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
Thanks awbowman!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 10:59:00 PM »
I would look for timberline or close to it If real early in the season but elk can be found at all levels. More importantly I would look for places with a good mixture of grazing meadows, north slope black timber for bedding areas and water. That combo would fit better than elevation alone. Try and contact the biologist from that area to get you headed in the right direction. Maybe look for access near the Purgatory ski area for high country. I have only hunted that area in November when the elk were lower in the oak brush. Maybe also try Junction Creek. That forest road goes from oak brush to alpine (almost). Lot of area to cover but allows you to move to find the elk. Just rugged and nasty back in there. Good luck!
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 09:54:00 AM »
Thanks for the info sheephunter. I will take a look at my maps!
>>>----------------->

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
ttt
>>>----------------->

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »
Pretty much anywhere from 7500 and up will hold elk. It all depecds on the area.  Lots of areas have a residential heard that can be hunted.  You don't need to go to timberline to hunt.
T ZZZZ

Offline DKdc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »
I have hunted 74 my entire life and the elk are anywhere from around 8,000ft on northern slopes all the way to timberline. I prefer to hunt around timberline. Especially early in the season because it is so hot at the lower elevations. There are also less hunters around timberline because the country is sooooo steeeeep. As the season goes on I will hunt the lower elevations where the cover is thicker but the elk will be easier to call in. Let me know if you have any other questions
DK

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
DKdc that is great info. The particular area I'm looking at I think fits the bill!
>>>----------------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©