3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New hunter, new archer, new everything...  (Read 402 times)

Offline CompGeek

• Trad Bowhunter
New hunter, new archer, new everything...
« on: September 05, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »
Hope this is in the right forum, I have been reading a lot on this site and it seems the most appropriate place.

My Story:

I grew up in the suburbs of Boston and moved to North Dakota five years ago for college.  Since then I have developed a good relationship with someone who has a ton of land, plenty of white tail, and is an experienced compound bow and rifle hunter.  After years of working for him on his ranch and being exposed to hunting, fishing, trapping, and the general outdoors I took my hunter safety class this winter.

The summer got away from me as far as preparation, but last week a few friends went out to hunt on my friends land and I was there to hang out. One of them shot a really nice 11 point buck in velvet.  I got to help him field dress, skin, and prepare the deer.  I enjoyed being there and his excitement makes me excited, but I wished that meat was in my freezer.

So here I am, a new hunter, a new archer, a new everything.  Compound bows seem fun but I like the idea of shooting a recurve more.  Something about the "tradition" is appealing.

I don't know what I don't know so where do I start?

Some details about me:

I am 23, 6'4" with a wingspan to match, and built similar to that of a defensive end (broad shoulders, a lot of power in my legs, strong in my upper body, back, and torso).

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New hunter, new archer, new everything...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 09:54:00 AM »
What a great time you have ahead of you!  Man, so much to learn, so much to try!  You will learn a lot from this site. The best thing I can say is find a mentor.  There is no substitute for an experienced, wise advisor.  Maybe someone here on Tradgang lives near you?  

Welcome!

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
Welcome to TradGang. There is a ton of knowledge here. The best way to get started is to find someone in your area who is knowledgeable in traditional archery. If you can't find someone there are guys here that know best how to get you started. Traditional archery is a lifestyle. Good luck on your new adventure.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline pukwana

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
Welcome aboard CompGeek!  What part of ND are you from?

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
You sound like a great young man. Recurve is the perfect start. Try and get with some trad guys who can suggest shops, shoots or club to do some research. Try as many as you can before you buy...nothing wrong with a used or stock bow to start.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 12:40:00 PM »
I am thinking a 62" recurve is in your future.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »
CompGeek

First welcome from S.W. Montana!!!!!    :wavey:    

Glad you want to take up bowhunting & especially stick bowhunting.

I'm going to agree with Bear Heart.

I'm an inch shorter than you, but heavier, but with a long wingspan. I draw an honest 29-1/2" with a recurve & have shot bows as short as the 48" Supermag I like the Kodiak mag, 52", the Grizzly mine's 56", & the Super K 60". I have shot recurves from 48" to 64" & for myself a 60" bow is comfortable. A 62" would be good for you I think.
   I think a 60-62" bow would give you a smooth pinchless draw.
If you can, shoot other people's bows to see what suits you.

One thing, & I can't stress this enough, START WITH A BOW THAT'S NOT A STRAIN TO DRAW. We may all disagree on a bow, but I don't think many on the forum will disagree with not starting with a too heavy bow. It'll lead to problems quickly.

A 45lb bow has taken plenty of game & Whitetails are completely within it's capabilitys. If you are really fit maybe a 50lb. You can always work up later if you want to. I hunt Elk with a 55lb bow & that's plenty.
   Good luck, welcome to the team & don't hesitate to ask questions.
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »
Welcome from Kentucky!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »
Welcome from South/East Pennsylvania!! Enjoy!!

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »
Welcome!!!

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
I am excited for you!
I am happy to see you found both archery and hunting.  I 2nd the mentor.  See if you can find a state trad organization.  The fact that you went along and helped on the hunt with the dragging and cleaning will make you a welcome member to your group of hunting friends.  Even though they may not shoot trad, they can still help with the how toos of hunting.

Good luck !
"I'm the proud son of a Vietnam Vet and proud to be Made in America!"

Offline ARCHER2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »
Welcome aboard Brother! You're a step ahead of some folks in that you already have a spot to pursue your new passion. Best of luck to ya, you're gonna love it. You've also picked a mighty fine bunch of folks to hang out with here.
If you can't find out all the info. on here that you think you need, you just might not need it!
Charlie
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
Welcome to tradgang.  This page will provide lots of good information.

http://www.tradgang.com/docs/trad.html

Have Fun!
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
Welcome to the site.  North Dakota has lots of good critters to hunt.  Might want to consider picking up a copy of The Traditional Bowhunter's Handbook, written by T.J. Conrads.  It's available directly from Trad Bowhunter Magazine or a number of trad vendors.  Provides a good overview and will save you about a thousand posts on here.  Good luck.

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 04:44:00 PM »
Welcome from Louisiana!
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
Welcome from western Michigan!

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 05:39:00 PM »
Welcome!
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline CompGeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
Man oh man!  I mean heck, some guys are even willing to help get me started with equipment!

Thanks for the warm welcome one and all!

First, I do know a guy who could be a sort of mentor; the only problem is he lives in Kansas. I will look into what ND has to offer as far as clubs or groups that I could connect with.

Second, I just read a thread about some people being ripped off by others.  A few people have contacted me about working with them to get set up.  Internet safety is no joke to me.  I spend most of my day on a computer. Is there a list of people or vendors that have a reputation as being honest, good craftsmen that aren't going to rake me over the coals?

Thanks again!

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »
Welcome to the GANG from Pa.  :campfire:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
Welcome!  Looks like you're already an asset in deer camp, what with the height and linebacker build.  Us older guys can always use a little help on dragging.

I was hunting last week with a fellow that was 6'6".  Man, can he haul bear out of the woods.  But, he got slowed down with a dull knife. (that's another story).

I'm 6'5".  I've shot 58" to 62" bows for many many years.  A (short) friend insisted, then demanded, then screamed to me that I needed a 66" bow.  Why? First, it's not taking up too much space for a person 6'5". A shorter person may find a problem walking thru the woods with a long bow, but not a tall person.  (He was right).  Plus, the longer bow is sweet at the longer draw lenghts.  

I'll bet you will draw 30.5" or so.  You want to make sure that your bow will be sweet drawing in that draw range.  The longer bows will be better.

Depending on your budget, you may have to get a production bow.  You may be limited to 64".  That's okay.  And, you should be able to shoot a 62" with no problem.  But, I'm guessing that, for you, longer will be better.  And, if you can find a 66" bow, I don't think you will regret it.

One advise I wish I had taken:  get a take-down recurve.  Then, as needs change, you can buy different limbs for the bow without braking the bank.  

Good luck.  Enjoy the sport.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©