3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New hunter, new archer, new everything...  (Read 403 times)

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New hunter, new archer, new everything...
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »
Welcome!  Looks like you're already an asset in deer camp, what with the height and linebacker build.  Us older guys can always use a little help on dragging.

I was hunting last week with a fellow that was 6'6".  Man, can he haul bear out of the woods.  But, he got slowed down with a dull knife. (that's another story).

I'm 6'5".  I've shot 58" to 62" bows for many many years.  A (short) friend insisted, then demanded, then screamed to me that I needed a 66" bow.  Why? First, it's not taking up too much space for a person 6'5". A shorter person may find a problem walking thru the woods with a long bow, but not a tall person.  (He was right).  Plus, the longer bow is sweet at the longer draw lenghts.  

I'll bet you will draw 30.5" or so.  You want to make sure that your bow will be sweet drawing in that draw range.  The longer bows will be better.

Depending on your budget, you may have to get a production bow.  You may be limited to 64".  That's okay.  And, you should be able to shoot a 62" with no problem.  But, I'm guessing that, for you, longer will be better.  And, if you can find a 66" bow, I don't think you will regret it.

One advise I wish I had taken:  get a take-down recurve.  Then, as needs change, you can buy different limbs for the bow without braking the bank.  

Good luck.  Enjoy the sport.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
You have come to a great place to get started. Being a longbow shooter, I can't give you as good information on recurves as some of the guys here. But I do know that longer bows seem to draw much smoother than short ones, so check it out before you make a purchase decision.
Sam

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
Welcome and good luck on your journey!   :wavey:    :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »
Welcome to the gang!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
Welcome to traditional archery!  Don't get in too big of a hurry to "get it all just right."  Learn what you need to get started, and as new questions arise, you'll have fun looking for the answers.  I'm sure guys who have been on here for years and years will be quick to say they still don't know it all.  I'm relatively new myself, and at first I felt too much of a hurry to become an expert.  

As Wannabe said, "...good luck on your JOURNEY!"
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline BuckeyeGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
Welcome from Iowa and you are in a great state for some hunting!

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
Welcome from Michigan. I've only been to North Dakota 1 time but I shot my biggest buck near Hannah. Only place that I have ever had people ask me if I wanted to hunt on their land.
Good luck and above all remember to have fun learning your new sport!

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
Traditional archery is infinitely more enjoyable, IMHO, than compounds.... however.... and i hope nobody wants to slam me for saying this...  
if you really really want to hunt this year, you probably don't have time to gain the proficiency and equipment tuning necessary.  compounds are very easy to shoot accurately with minimal practice.  craigslist is crawling with 10+year old compounds for $100,  and realistically, thats the only way i would imagine you could be out hunting, and learning the whitetail ropes this year.  if you want to hunt, get out there now and learn.  every day in the deer woods you learn something, and every day you are not in the deer woods, well you don't.  then after the season is over, sell that POS compound and never look back.  next year you will be ready to bowhunt proper.  welcome to the forum and to archery, you're going to love it! (hope you have an understanding wife or significant other)

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
Some good bows in the classifieds.  I started with a TD black widow.  Thought it was a good idea so I could change limbs if I needed to.  

To me, traditional archery is like golf.  Some days I'm shooting great, some days not as great (more of these than the other for me). But I always have more fun than I ever have with my compound bows.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2013, 11:22:00 PM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of Traditional Bowhunting! This site and the people on it will be a big asset for you on your journey thru all this. There is no better way to be in the woods than with a bow in your hand.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
Welcome!
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline coyote30

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2013, 12:50:00 AM »
Welcome! I'm new to traditional archery myself or I would offer some advice.

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2013, 06:30:00 AM »
Welcome! I live in SE North Dakota. A good contact person for equipment and such is Tim Finley from Oberon, N.D. He is the bowyer for Kota Bows. Bob
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline rick7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2013, 09:46:00 AM »
welcome aboard  you will love this place

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©