3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whitetail Buck Sightings  (Read 263 times)

Online doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
Whitetail Buck Sightings
« on: September 05, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
Just wanted to find out how many Bucks on average you guys and gals see on stand during your hunting seasons?
Also are you hunting on private or public grounds. My worst year I saw 3 bucks and my best I saw 22 mostly on public hunting grounds.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whitetail Buck Sightings
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 07:39:00 PM »
Private so far, and guessing 30 to 40 different bucks per year....

There is a lot of public within 30 miles , but I can leave my stands up on the private I can still hunt on.....
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
It varies from year to year. I have gone thru a year with no sigthings and then the next year see 3 in one day. I use to hunt from tree stands but no stay on the ground. I have seen more form the ground than from the trees. Public land.
John

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
I hunt some public land that has a 15" spread rule on bucks. Last year I saw more bucks in the woods then antlerless deer. During the rut in one day I saw over 20 bucks. 7 were chasing one doe.
I love Bow Hunting

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
i would say on average i see around 4 a year hunting. i hunt Public land. I have had better but thinking back on average its about 4 a year. thats just seeing. that does not mean i had a shot at any.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by DoradoWilder:
I hunt some public land that has a 15" spread rule on bucks. Last year I saw more bucks in the woods then antlerless deer. During the rut in one day I saw over 20 bucks. 7 were chasing one doe.
I prefer that kind of management.  In the last 4 years here in FL I've seen 3 bucks on public land.  Two ended up in the freezer.  Here we are allowed any buck with at least 5" total on one side and can shoot two a day.  As a consequence most of the bucks are dead.

Online doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 06:59:00 AM »
Thanks for your posts guys. Wish I had some private land to hunt.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 06:30:00 PM »
In a season I may very well see 50-60 different bucks. I hunt only private property, I have seen as many as 8-10 differnt bucks in a single sit. Two years ago I saw 9 different bucks in 1/2 hr. After the 8th. one I decided the next one to come by was getting shot. It turned out it was a 2.5 year old six point. Never consider range, just when the light bulb comes on I shoot. My buddy hunted the stand the next day and ranged the shot(compound guy)my shot was 47 yards. I moved the stand this year a bit closer to that run!!   :bigsmyl:  Shawn
Shawn

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
In a season I may very well see 50-60 different bucks. I hunt only private property, I have seen as many as 8-10 differnt bucks in a single sit. Two years ago I saw 9 different bucks in 1/2 hr. After the 8th. one I decided the next one to come by was getting shot. It turned out it was a 2.5 year old six point. Never consider range, just when the light bulb comes on I shoot. My buddy hunted the stand the next day and ranged the shot(compound guy)my shot was 47 yards. I moved the stand this year a bit closer to that run!!    :bigsmyl:   Shawn
Holly rip! That's a heck of a good shot.    :notworthy:

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
Wow Shawn.  Are you seeing that many bucks in N.Y.? I live in Illinois and I don't see 50-60 deer the entire season!  Good luck to you bud!

Online doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
Wow Shawn, sounds like you have some awesome property to hunt. About 5 years ago I saw 8 bucks in one day. 4 in the morning and 4 in the evening on public land. There was a hot doe in the area.

Offline 52 bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
Guess I take it for granted just how blessed my h unting is. I only count bucks that I can shoot , under20 yds , and average 40-60 a season.one morn in Ill I had 17 different bucks walk by me, none farther than 15 yds. Lots of better hunting around than what I have

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by 52 bow:
Guess I take it for granted just how blessed my h unting is. I only count bucks that I can shoot , under20 yds , and average 40-60 a season.one morn in Ill I had 17 different bucks walk by me, none farther than 15 yds. Lots of better hunting around than what I have
That is insane. Yes cherish it. There are those among us who have land to hunt thanks to our state.  but the seeing just is not there. I couldn't imagine seeing deer like that. You prob see more deer in one season than I see In 5 or more seasons  easy. I envy you guys. Fantastic!  That must be fun!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »
I have 4 pretty good properties I hunt. I see most of my bucks in the two properties I have in a bow only area. Meathead, my bud hunts one of these with me and he saw 35 deer in an all day sit 14 of them bucks and he thinks 11 of them were different ones. In the gun areas I hunt during bow season I may see 3-4 different bucks in a sit but no where the amount of deer as in the bow area. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »
Well...I was working on my lawn mower/tractor in my garage this afternoon when I noticed movement out in the apple orchard.

When the three of them left they exited right under a stand I set up last week.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©