3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Jim Gainey-Black Creek Bows  (Read 216 times)

Offline twbhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Jim Gainey-Black Creek Bows
« on: September 05, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
When Jim made the business decision to close Black Creek Bows we lost one of the stand up bowers.  Hopefully Jim doesn't mind me posting my experience.

In May of this year I attended the Tennessee Classic Shoot and purchased a set of new Black Creek  Bear takedown limbs from a vendor.  The limbs were smooth and fast but the top limb broke after about one month of heavy usage.  I sent Black Creek a email with the limbs serial number.

Jim responded quickly stating that he had sold the limbs to a third party and that they were a prototype which he  build over a year ago but he had modified the style before he started production.  He stated that he would warranty the limbs even thought I didn't buy them from him and they were over a year old. So I boxed up the limbs and shipped to Black Creek with instruction on type and weight limbs I wanted to replace the broken limbs.

A couple of  weeks latter Black Creek posted a notice on Trad Gang that they were going out of business so I contacted Jim to see if he was going to replace the limbs or if I was out of luck.

Jim confirmed that he was going to finish all his orders before he shut shop but it would take some time as he was working full time plus wrapping up Black Creek's orders.

On Tuesday of this week UPS delivered a set of  54# Bubinga limbs with beautiful tips that match my Bear B riser.  These limbs are smooth, fast and with no stack at my 28.5 inch draw.

Jim's action have refreshed my believe that there a lot of great people in traditional archery and actions like his should not go unnoticed.

Tom

Offline Gerry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Jim Gainey-Black Creek Bows
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline BuckeyeGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
Very cool, he made some gorgeous bows!

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »
im hoping at some point, even if its a matter of "years",  Jim makes bows again.

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
Jim is a super guy.  His actions are not at all suprising, he always treated his customers very well...most, like me, became friends.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 11:35:00 PM »
Jim is one of the nice guys and makes some super bows.  I've had my hands on two and they always have an invitation to come stay on my bowrack.  Bravo Jim.  Truly I also hope he 'comes back'.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 07:24:00 AM »
Yeah....I owned one...till I let a guy shoot it...and he made me and offer I couldn't refuse.   He made a really nice bow no doubt.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline cosgood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 07:36:00 AM »
I had a similar experience with Jim. Earlier this year, I bought a Black Creek Siren off the classifieds. It arrived just fine. The most beautiful bow I've ever held in my hands. What does any sane archer do but string it up and shoot it? On the very first shot, both limb tips came off. I almost cried it was so disheartening. I called Jim that night and explained what transpired. He said no problem, just send it down and I'll take care of it.

Next morning, I head to the post office with bow packaged in PVC and bubble wrap, same way I received it. I set it on the counter to let mail lady do her stickers. As she is rolling it over to place mailing address, it falls 5 feet to the floor. Boy, was I ticked off. Talk about adding insult to injury. I then told lady that I wanted to insure for $1000. Hopefully she got the point.

Lets go back to the story. Jim calls up when he received the bow. I had originally asked if he could replace the tips with antler or horn, but I didn't want to burden him as he was building other bows. I offered several times to pay him for his labor and materials, which he refused. He wouldn't even let me pay the return shipping.

I found out that he was going out of business on here and was shocked. Jim Gainey is a top notch, honest to goodness bowyer! I too hope to see Black Creek Bows up and running again!
Black Creek Siren 53@28"
Black Creek Banshee TDR/TDLB 50@28"
Pawtucket Custom 50@28"

US Army Military Police 1996-2007

Offline rick7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
owned a couple of his bows they were excellent.  wish he was still in business

Offline mark stella

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »
What Lamey said.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
I'll add my vote for Jim. He was a reputable guy with high standards and excellent craftsmanship. He sold our EFA quivers and we had several of his nice bows in our shop. We are down to one bow now and there won't be any rush to sell it.

Good luck Jim, and hope to see you at some of the future events.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 06:25:00 PM »
Bought my bud one for his B-Day, great bows and Jim is a great guy!! I hope he starts building again one day. I will be first to buy one, I am a recurve guy and I know today you can buy a T/D and still be a recurve guy and shoot long bow limbs, but Jims one-piece longbow was one that I could shoot really well. My buddy loves his and hopefully he kills his first Trad deer with it this year! Shawn
Shawn

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
I would like to share my story as well. In Feb.I ordered a one piece Siren from Jim. I got the bow in June and I also got the bad news from him that he was going out of business. That bow was a shooter and also eye candy. After shooting the bow for a while, noticed little white specks under the glass on the top limb.I took photos and sent them to Jim. He called me back and ask me to send it to BOW HOSPITAL and that he(Jim) would pay for the cost of repair. I am sad that I cant shoot my bow right now, but I AM PLEASED WITH JIMS SOLUTION. With his shop closed he could have completely ignored my calls. Jim Gainey is a fine fellow and great bowyer.                                                                                                      
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »
Jim is one of the good guys 100%.  His bows are also 100% Jim Gainey.  I had two.  One I wish I had kept.  My bow rack will always have an opening for a Gainey-made bow.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©