3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 259 times)

Offline coyote30

• Trad Bowhunter
A few questions
« on: September 06, 2013, 12:44:00 AM »
I'm new to traditional so I have a few questions. I keep reading different things about a bow being tillered for split finger or 3 under. Does this matter for a bear Kodiak hunter? I shoot much better 3 under but the bow seems louder no matter what brace height I'm trying at the time. I have shot at 7.5 to 8.5 inches and it seems to be the same noise level. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good brace height for this bow? Also when I shoot split finger my top finger is putting down pressure on the arrow nock (the main reason I stopped shooting split) is there a fix for this? I know it is a few questions but i'm in the set up phase and learning everything new after shooting compounds for 20 years. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 12:56:00 AM »
if you are having a custom bow made you can have them tiller it for 3 fingers under. with a mass produced bow you cant change the tiller but many people shoot 3 fingers under with out any problems or noticeable difference. Shoot what ever method works best for you. the reason bowyers will custom tiller for 3 fingers under is that style puts a little more pressure on the lower limb. Again this is not a big deal and tons of people shoot 3 under with normal tiller.
  To fix the downward pressure on a split finger style, keep your top finger a little higher than pressed hard on the nock. also keep your draw arm elbow in a straight line and parallel with your bow arm. If your elbow raises up you will usually put excessive pressure on your top finger.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 12:58:00 AM »
I shoot 3 under and have shot mostly bows tillered for split. Never heard the claimed extra noise. Finger pressure sounds like elbow too high. How heavy is your arrow? That solves some noise issues.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline coyote30

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 01:22:00 AM »
Thanks guys, I will pay more attention to my elbow next time I shoot. My arrow is 466 grains finished with a 50# draw weight. I draw 27" so it is probably around 47#s.

Offline irishhacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 07:38:00 AM »
This may sounds silly, but since I shoot a bow just like yours..
I set my BH at 8 1/4.
For the noise, I have a pair of wool silencers installed.
I got mine from simplytraditional.net
My Kodiak Hunter is very quiet..
60x Custom Strings Staff Shooter  http://www.60xcustomstrings.com/

Offline irishhacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 07:53:00 AM »
This may sounds silly, but since I shoot a bow just like yours..
I set my BH at 8 1/4.
For the noise, I have a pair of wool silencers installed.
I got mine from simplytraditional.net
My Kodiak Hunter is very quiet..
60x Custom Strings Staff Shooter  http://www.60xcustomstrings.com/

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 08:34:00 AM »
Try raising your nocking point
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
Try putting more pressure on your middle finger shooting split and also try a Kant Pinch tab.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
Try putting more pressure on your middle finger shooting split and also try a Kant Pinch tab.
Try shooting split and putting more pressure on your middle finger. Also I had a similar problem when I first started and it was because I was torquing my drawing hand. Make sure your hand is at the same angle as the string this will help tremendously.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
I do what you mention with your index finger when I'm tired. They have talked about new shooters not getting the proper finger set up also. When you shoot split get your fingers wrapped around the string and put tension on the string before you start to pull and pull your fingers on around and then start to pull back it also keeps the arrow on the shelf.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
I started out 3 under and no doubt bows are noisier when the bow is not tillered for it. If you use two nocking points that may help when you shoot split and stop the pressure on the nock. Shawn
Shawn

Offline coyote30

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
Thanks all, I shot a little today and found my elbow was too high and I was rotating my hand a bit. I shot ok split but 3 under is much better for me. I have cat whiskers on the bow, the noise sounds like it is traveling through the upper limb mostly. I think brush buttons will quiet this vibration. Who sells a soft rubber brush button? I tried the saunders hard plastic and they were worse than not using any.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 12:55:00 AM »
Glad you got it all figured out. Nothing wrong with shooting 3 under if it works best for you stick with it.
  The best silencers I have found is to mix cat whisker rubber silencers with a little yarn. The cat whiskers area great silencer but I don't like the noise that comes from them so I add about 5 strands of yarn in with them when I put them thru the string. the yarn quites the cat whiskers and the adds to the silencing.
  I don't have any experience with brush buttons as I shoot a longbow.
 Don't be afraid to put 4 silencers on the string, 2 above and 2 below. I shot hat way for a long time and it works great.

Offline coyote30

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 04:32:00 PM »
Thanks lb, I will have to try the yarn trick.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©