3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: finger tabs or glove ??????  (Read 538 times)

Offline Stringpuller#1

• Trad Bowhunter
finger tabs or glove ??????
« on: September 06, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
Which one do you hunt with and for glove shooters how do you keep the fingers on your glove slick? Mine isn"t sliding off the string as well as my fur lined shooting tab.......
Herters recurve, model Perfection?
1962, 50lb at 28"
Easton 2020 aluminum, 145 point

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: finger tabs or glove ??????
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
I shoot tabs. They are easy to turn around on my hand out of the way if I need to grasp something. Also, I can wear fleece gloves in moderately cold weather and still use the tab.
Sam

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »
Glove for me, although if I never went hunting I would shoot a tab since I do get a little cleaner release with one.  I hate a tab when I'm hunting though, it's either in the way or not in position.

I don't do anything to my Damascus glove to keep it slick.  The feeling you said about your glove not sliding off the string as well as your tab might just come down to the inherent differences between tabs and gloves.  For me the glove is a compromise, but I shoot with it year round to make sure that the compromise is not too great.  If you have developed grooves in your glove like some will do, that makes a smooth release tough to achieve.

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »
Glove for me, I have a American Leathers Buffalo Big Shot no problems keeping it slick.
Conny

Offline Butternutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
Started using a tab about 2 months ago,groups have gotten tighter and my form has improved. I'm staying with the tab...
Blackwidow PSA 60"46@28
Toelke Whip 60"44@28
Toelke Classic 58"41@28
Blackwidow PTF V 58"51@28
=})})}=LAWMAN=>

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »
Glove. They stay out of the way and allow me to use my shooting hand for other tasks if need be.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Stringpuller#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
Sounds like it's all about personal preference. Thanks for the replies.
Herters recurve, model Perfection?
1962, 50lb at 28"
Easton 2020 aluminum, 145 point

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 11:48:00 PM »
It is a personal preference thing.  I've hunted with a glove for more than 50 years and still do.  However, finally found a tab I could shoot last year and use a tab for target shooting.  Enables me to get a hold that's tighter to my face and a cleaner release.  However, it's slow to get on the string.  First, I have to sort of move it out of the way to grab and nock an arrow, then have to get it back into position to place it properly on the string, and I usually have to look down at my nocked arrow to do that.  All of that takes extra time and creates extra movement and is a disadvantage for hunting,IMO.  That's why I still use a glove for hunting.  A little talcum powder will add some slickness to most glove and tab surfaces.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 12:43:00 AM »
I shot a glove for many years and have been shooting a tab for the last 8 years. Thing I like about the tab is I can swing it around my finger and out of the way and I can wear it over alight glove.

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 02:20:00 AM »
I don`t believe one is better than the other..just whats better for "you"

Offline treehermit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 04:43:00 AM »
I use the big shot glove and frequently string wax the tips.  I treat the leather with neatsfoot oil and place weight on the tips to flatten them when not in use.  Trying to delay the grooves...

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 07:21:00 AM »
I shot a glove when I first started shooting.  Went to a tab for several years then tried a glove again.  I still prefer a tab and that is what I shoot now.  

Maybe I have "odd" proportioned hand/fingers, but getting a glove that fits like I want is a pain.  I have two gloves of the same brand, model and size.  One of them I love and the other I hate.  The one I hate has thicker seams on the finger stalls and I can't get a consistant anchor. With a tab it is much easier to mail order one and know it will feel/fit.  

Prefer a tab, but still will shoot a glove from time to time.  Like you noticed, it is a personal preference thing.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 07:33:00 AM »
I use a glove... Cut the very tips off to get a better "feel and anchor"...  :archer2:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
I prefer a tab.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
I am a tab guy.  I shot gloves for a number of years, but my shooting improved significantly when I switched to the tab.  I seem to get a better anchor and a better release.  I just swing it around to the back of my hand when I need both hands to grip something.  It is also easier to throw an extra in my pack or quiver.

D.P.

Offline Michael E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 03:15:00 PM »
I'm just returning to archery, and had to decide as I've shot both in the past. For bare bow, I find that tabs allow me to get a better feel and a more repeatable anchor point. My old favorite tab was the Black Widow; recently I bought a Bateman Cordovan tab and found I like that for the slick release.

I've found that you really need to try on tabs to check size. I wear XLR gloves, but use a Large size tab.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »
I shoot tabs for everything except small game hunting. I need to get on the string real quick bunny hunting and shooting pheasants and chukar out of the air so I than switch to a glove. My tabs are never in the way as I just swing them to the back of my hand when I need to be nimble with my fingers. I use an Angel tab and alway keep a shot in one in my fanny pack. I also have Cavilier Elite that I like and stuff that in my backpack just in case. Shawn
Shawn

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:
I shoot tabs. They are easy to turn around on my hand out of the way if I need to grasp something. Also, I can wear fleece gloves in moderately cold weather and still use the tab.
X2
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
I've shot with and w/o the spacer, and I definitely prefer w/o.  Right now I'm shooting Fred's tab.  I love it.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2013, 08:32:00 AM »
Tabs for me. Cavalier elite split finger even though I shoot it 3-fingers under. I've been using the same one, very regularly for more than two years now. It is as good as new--no grooves, smooth, not ragged.

I did have to trip the top of the index finger portion of the tab to make it more comfortable at my mouth anchor.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©