3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting in the UK  (Read 474 times)

Offline tommy36

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting in the UK
« on: September 06, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
Hello everyone I am in the Air Force I am currently stationed in Kansas. Yesterday was a lucky day and I got orders to England I leave next summer so ill get some hunting in this year but does anyone know if you can bow hunt or any kind of hunt anywhere in England or Europe any information would be greatly appreciated.
Home of The Free, Because of The Brave
USAF

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting in the UK
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »
I don't believe you can bow hunt in England. There are Red Deer in parks, but they belong to the Queen, and she doesn't allow bow hunting. Don't know about the rest of Europe.

There are lots of other things to do there, and the people are friendly.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
I don't believe you can bow hunt in England. There are Red Deer in parks, but they belong to the Queen, and she doesn't allow bow hunting. Don't know about the rest of Europe.

There are lots of other things to do there, and the people are friendly.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline mark stella

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
Don't think so. My wife is from Sheffield. I went over to visit for two weeks a couple years ago. I met only one bloke that hunted. He obtained special permits to take foxes, axis, and stag. Owners of large estates would contact him. He was fascinated with archery and had some Howard Hill and Bear videos he watched. He had no archery gear though.
He was utterly amazed at the opportunities we have here to hunt on private and public lands.
Those Brits like to fish though. Lol.

Offline tommy36

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
Haha well I guess I will have a whole new appreciation for hunting in a couple years it's the only thing I was upset about when I got my orders was not being able to hunt.
USAF

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
If you get a chance to travel while you're there, there is evidently some good bow hunting in Spain, and there are some fantastic 3D courses in the Pyrenees.  I've read about going places where you can shoot hundreds of different targets placed in all sorts of interesting locations in beautiful mountain terrain, and eat and sleep in great lodges. Definitely on my bucket list of things to do before I die. Search archery Andorra or archery Pyrenees for more info.

While they don't hunt in England, they take their archery very seriously.  After all, it is one of their heritages dating back more than 600 years to Agincourt and Crecy.  One of my friends toured England and was able to wangle his way into archery clubs and matches.  Drinking scotch is evidently an integral part of an English archery match.  I thought they would only use the olde English longbow, but he said all types of trad bows were in evidence.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline H-MANEOD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
Going to RAF Lakenheath?  My son was born there.  Everyone is correct, no deer hunting but a lot of 3D shooting.  Enjoy your time there!
Kurt Heitman
Retired USAF EOD 1989-2009
MADDOG
FEDORA

Offline Stephengiles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
I was just reading another thread about switching from aluminum to carbon and I noticed that guy was from France,and it seems you might be able to hunt there might be close enough to make a go.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
Not in England. You can in Spain, and France though! There is great bowhunting in both places and there are a few french tradgangers on here as well you may want to look up.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Stephengiles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
I was just reading another thread about switching from aluminum to carbon and I noticed that guy was from France,and it seems you might be able to hunt there might be close enough to make a go.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
In England you can't bowhunt,but rifle hunting is legal.
In the rest of Europe some countries permit bowhunting,like Spain,France and Italy. You can fly in Europe for cheap from a country to another with lots of low cost companies.
The Eastern Europe countries have the cheapest rates with no bag limit,you pay what you kill and does and cows permits are really cheap.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
I spent a couple years in England recently Andy yes there is no bow hunting.  You can't even kill a rabbit with a bow, pity too as there are lots of the cute little buggers and it would be nice to put them in the pot.  There is a LOT of gun hunting available and no bag limits.  I know a fellow who shoots over 200 roe deer a season and another who shoots well over 100 red deer every year.  I tried to get involved with the IBEP program over there to encourage bowhunters but the organiser wasn't very organised and dropped the ball.

Offline Jorge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
No problems in Spain, you could bowhunt here without problems. Next november we have a trad only group hunt, with guys coming from the Uk and Finland. We will be around 20 guys.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »
Jorge send you a PM.
Felix
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
no bow hunting in the uk   :dunno:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
I don't understand why no bowhunting but gun hunting is ok, explain the logic?  

Yes, go to Spain, loved visiting there, laid back people, lots of fun and good food, bowhunting would be a bonus.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Jorge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 04:55:00 PM »
This place is close to Madrid, less than two hours by car, so travel from the Uk will be fast, easy and cheap

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 06:26:00 PM »
There is no logic to the hunting laws the UK  - I lived there for 11 years and it is ridiculously expensive and hard to access. The ALF and anti- hunting crowd are the mainstream unless you're hanging with the landed gentry in the countryside - they love bird hunting (which is a highly organized affair involving 20 or so people).

I was fortunate and got in with my wife's friends which offered access to pheasant and rabbit. Deer too but the licensing restrictions for rifles over there are absurdly set placing it out of the reach of most.

Fly fishing on a decent trout stream will cost you $1000 - 2000 a day.....

Happiest day of my life was moving back to Canada.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline tommy36

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 12:12:00 AM »
Hey guys this is some awesome information I knew you guys wouldn't let me down.  H-maneod I'm going to mildenhall right next door to lakenheath and mcdave I will have to check that out I'm a rock throw from all those places and if they have an air force base it will be even cheaper.
Thank you guys for the information though I searched for a few days for the information you guys just gave me In a minute of reading.
USAF

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 06:26:00 AM »
Slingshots. They hunt small game with slingshots, which are not too different from  a recurve, if you shoot instinctive.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©