3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old Timers and Camo  (Read 987 times)

Offline ChiefStingingArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Old Timers and Camo
« on: September 09, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
I have heard talk on here and from reading from the old timers like Howard Hill, Fred Bear, John Schulz talk about how they could stalk right up on animals just wearing plaids. My question is this: Do we need camo to effectively stalk game?
How did Guys like the ones mentioned up above get so close to their game without camo?
Are animals more wary today than back then?

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old Timers and Camo
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 11:45:00 AM »
It's all about marketing. I've been in the woods with jeans and a tshirt and was able to creep up to a group of deer. Had a Doe 2 years ago look through me while I was wearing plaid. It all comes down to movement and the animals nose, everything else is sheer marketing.
Consider it this way, primitive man depended on hunting for survival, he didn't wear Realtree or Mossy Oak.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »
No, what we think of as "camo" isn't needed. Then again, plaid is camo to the eye.

But as one who has been bowhunting since 1978 and had club members bowhunting my property since the 1940's, the bowhunting pressure back in those days was so light that the deer acted nothing like today.
For example, Michigan has the most bowhunters in the country with over 320,000 bowhunters. Back when I started, there were 1/10th as many licensed bowhunters.
I recall in those days that we could stalk right up on deer during bow season, especially young deer. Now, if a deer sees a hunter some 500 yards across a huge field, it bolts in a panic.

Offline dingas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »
Take a look at some black and white or sepia pics of guys in plaid in the woods and guys in camo in the woods.  Both work quite well, although a lot of the newer camo patterns turn into a dark blob at longer distances. Thats why patterns like ASAT work so well. Larger pattern to break up outline at any range. Most of the big brands like Realtree and Mossy Oak are intended to catch hunters, not deer. Large patterns with lots of contrast are the ticket like plaid or ASAT I think. That said I have mostly RT and MO gear cuz thats what was cheap...

Edit - should say the most important is how much you move... movement make every pattern stand out

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
I like my camo, but I also like my plaids.  I have had way too many close encounters wearing plaids or some sort of "busy" floral or other pattern to discount wearing it, including with coyotes.

ChuckC

Offline bigiron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 01:29:00 PM »
camo works really good when hiding from humans.

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »
Biggest deer I've ever shot was while standing under a tree wearing a green plaid shirt/jacket had deer all around me they never busted me. So I think any pattern that breaks up your outline will work.
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 02:05:00 PM »
I always wear a hodgepodge of camo patterns and Asbell plaid an it works great.  Matchy stuff is for marketing and humans to 'look good'.  All that matters is breaking up your outline and playing the shadows in the woods.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline longrifle346

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 02:11:00 PM »
Get a good pair of binos, wear Earth-tone colors, keep your nose in the wind, and spend more time dead stock still than moving....you'll see deer if there are any.
If you find yourself in a fair fight? Your tactics suck!

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
I've used both for years, movement is what gets us busted if they can't smell us. I've had deer look through me on public land in Michigan wearing solid grey wool pants and shirt on the ground. I was wearing my camo TG hat, though, so maybe that was the trick that day...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
It's all about the movement, or lack thereof...
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
I agree with everyone as far as movement a scent I concerned.
But let's not forget they did not have camo back in the day. And today there a lot of great patterns to suit your surroundings. I think whichever you prefer.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 04:53:00 PM »

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
Camo looks great walking around WalMart.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
I love my camo but I have come up on critters just wearin jeans and a t shirt.  My granddaddy quit wearin camo a few years back he just wears insulated jeans and a heavy plaid coat.  He gave me a box of all his old camo and I was like a kid in a candy shop.  :bigsmyl:  It was all realtree camo from when that company first started.  The old hunting equipment and clothing has always caught my eye.  It just seemed simpler back in the day.
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 05:20:00 PM »
I was sitting against a tree a couple of years ago during gun season, so I had to wear hunter orange. An older doe, a yearling and two fawns walked into the woods from a plowed corn field. She saw me - looked right straight at me - but the tree was wide enough to break up my outline. She stamped her foot a couple of times and then walked right up to within 20 feet of me.

She veered off to the side and the rest of the parade came up to me and did the same thing. It wasn't until she cut my trail to the rear of me that she bolted and took the rest of them with her.

No camo; just motionless.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline TraditionalGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 05:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
Camo looks great walking around WalMart.
Nothing looks good walking through Wal-Mart
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”
H. L. Mencken

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
Camo catches hunters, not game.

IMHO, texture is worth ten times more than pattern.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
Shot a doe at 5 yards a few years ago.Sitting on the ground in brown pants and plaid shirt.Do not own any camo
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Online Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
Do you have a point or questions?
Never wait too long!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©