3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: fast hunting bows  (Read 3242 times)

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
fast hunting bows
« on: September 06, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »
i know it aint all about speed but who makes the fastest recurves thinking about ordering one when my shoulder recovers 55 plus pounds draw wt
thanks Ralph.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: fast hunting bows
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
border black douglas
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Offline Jim Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 12:48:00 PM »
Habu VyperKahn.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 01:00:00 PM »
Some folks will tell you there's no such thing as a fast bow that's also stable, quiet, forgiving, and easy to shoot.  Those traits are supposedly incompatible.  They haven't shot a Black Douglas.     :readit:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
RER bows are fast, smooth and quite. Plus great customer service before and after the sale, Kevin and Sue are top notch people.

Dave
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline bowhunter97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »
pittsley predator.
phil:4.13

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
Morrison
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 01:26:00 PM »
Zipper and my new Tradtech Titan

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 01:35:00 PM »
Black Douglas, hands down!!!!!!

I think I see one in my future as well.  LOL!!
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 01:50:00 PM »
fast bow that's also stable, quiet, forgiving, and easy to shoot

Pittsley, Black Douglas, Morrison, Habu, Zipper, Tradtech,RER, if we wait a bit every make bow that SOMEBODY owns will get mentioned. LOL sounds like they are all that way. Wonder why so many of them end up in the classifieds?

As far as fast? According to the tests I've been reading for 30 years, shooting the same grain weight arrow, at the same draw length, and at the same draw weight, with very few exceptions there won't be a 5% difference between the fastest and the slowest bows, whether they cost $200 or $1200. An imperceptible amount to be honest.

We've been having this argument for 10 years now and I've yet to see the "magic bow" that shoots 10 grains per pound of draw weight, drawn 28" that will shoot an arrow 200 FPS.

When choosing a bow you have to hunt and live with, speed should be about 4th or 5th on the list of features you should worry about.IMO First and foremost should be a bow that fits your hand, and is comfortable to shoot.Everything else fall in line somewhere behind that.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline sar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 01:52:00 PM »
metal risered black swan impala.  Cut past center, completely dead in hand, and blazingly fast.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »
ACS CX will get the job done if you do your part.

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
You know, Mr. Ferret does know what he is talking about!!!
Mel Riley

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
Mickey...   :clapper:
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 02:45:00 PM »
Mickey,
You have a good point.  However, have you ever shot a Border?
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »
Marc, have to admit I haven't. It may very well be a hell of a bow, in fact judging from the praise it's getting here I have no doubt it's a hell of a bow. Maybe I'll get a chance to shoot one someday. I have shot numerous bows that people have claimed were the be all to end all and to tell you the truth some of them were great bows (to me) and some for various reasons I wouldn't carry from the truck to the edge of the woods (I don't care how fast they were).
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 03:39:00 PM »
Think about this, in general, a spear won't be as fast as an atlatl, an atlatl won't be as fast as a wood bow, a wood bow won't be as fast as a glass longbow, a glass longbow won't be as fast as a glass recurve, a glass recurve won't be as fast as a compound, a compound won't be as fast as a muzzleoader, a muzzleoader won't be as fast as a centerfire rifle. Man has killed critters with all of them. Fast is a relative term. Just how fast a weapon do you need to hunt or to make you happy?

You want fast? Wait until you're my age and then one day look around at your grown children and your grandchildren and wonder where the time has gone.  :biglaugh:

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »
Balck Swan, Ballistik, Border, RER, etc. Lots of fast bows. Find a bow that suits you and be happy.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »
If we do that then will we know the answer to the question?  ;)

Offline sar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 05:04:00 PM »
Not sure, but the newer black swans might make the 200fps mark at 10gpp.  I can't pull to 28 or I'd give it a shot.

As others have pointed out, the absolute speed doesn't make that much difference anyway. I can shoot this bow better than any of my other bows or than any other bows I've tried.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©