3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: thinning polyeurathane for shafts?  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Mint Hill Mule

• Trad Bowhunter
thinning polyeurathane for shafts?
« on: January 20, 2007, 01:31:00 AM »
I have been dipping shafts in straight polyeurathane, but it seems too thick. What would be a good thinner? What ratio of poly to thinner?

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: thinning polyeurathane for shafts?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 01:43:00 AM »
I have not dipped shafts in a while (5 years or so), but I used to rely on regular paint thinner to thin the run-of-the-mill high gloss poly from home depot.  

I would make mine very watery (i.e. Eyeball the ratio), and then dip each shaft 3 times.  Gave me a smooth, well sealed finish.  

Now I mostly shoot carbons, so I have not worked with wood shafts in a while.  

Hope my wife does not read that last sentence.

Hope this helps.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 06:50:00 AM »
I use straight poly, but don't bother thinning it or dipping them. I get a much better finished product by simply wiping the poly on the shaft with a cloth, straight out of the can. It dries very fast thataway too. It dries so fast that you'd better wipe it once or twice, then hang it up and let it be. If you go back over it too many times, the rag's gonna start sticking to it.

I usually do that twice, steel wool it, and wipe it once more. Done. No tubes, no dripping mess, even coverage....

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 08:46:00 AM »
Bowjunkie: are you wiping on spar urathane? I've always used Wipe-On Poly but wanted to try the spar since it is supposed to be more water-resistant. (I haven't had any problems with the Wipe-On regarding moisture.)

I do agree with bowjunkie, wiping on is fast and simple.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
Mint, regular paint thinner and mix 30% thinner 70% poly(oil Based). Stir it up and let it sit a little while to eliminate bubbles and dip. Kelly for Arrows by Kelly gave me that tip. It works great and than a light steel woolong between dips. I have had shafts sit out stuck under the snow for months and found them in the spring, new feathers and they were ready to be shot again. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 11:09:00 AM »
What Shawn said is about the same as I used when I was making wood arrows. As a reference think in terms of how the finish runs off the shaft...it should be somewhat like water. You really can't thin it out too too much since several light coats are usually better than one thick one. Poly as an arrow finish is about as good as it gets both in terms of durability and attainability. You can get really good stuff (minwax) or cheaper stuff for low cost at Wal mart or Home depot. I lost an arrow once and found it two years later and as Shawn said, all  it needed was new feathers.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »
Have you read the lable on the can the product came in? It should indicate what to use for a thinner if neccessary. I would not just jump in and say what to thin it with, there are too many different products that use different bases.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Mint Hill Mule

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »
Thanks for the help.  Another ? for ya: using a homemade dip tube awhile back with a coffee can lid, the polyeurathane dried up (semi-hardened) in about 2 weeks. Has anyone had this happen to them? This was straight poly. Would it be a good idea to put it in a better container for storage?

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 01:14:00 PM »
I have a PVC Pipe that I use to dip in, and I have a "Rounded End Piece" Plumber I am Not, that fits Pretty Tight. I have to knock it off with a Couple of Taps of the Hammer if I havent Dipped any for a While, so its a Good Fit.
  I Also will take a Just dipped Arrow and hold it over the Dip Tube until its down to the Dripping-Off Stage before I hang them over a "Trough" I make out of Aluminum Foil.
  Usually Takes a Couple Of Dips to Suit me! Good Luck!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »
I just finished some Sitka shafts using the Minwax water based poly. I found that making sure the poly is quite warm is helpful. Gives about a 20-25 second run off time and a very nice finish. I picked up about 10-13 grains per dip on a 28-1/2" BOP shaft. I set the poly can near my wood stove before dipping to get it warm. DO NOT DO THIS WITH OTHER THAN THE WATER BASE DUE TO FIRE DANGER!!

Offline devildog66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »
A mix of 1:1:1 poly/boiled linseed oil/mineral spirits will give a very nice thin coat that will allow to build up without getting gummy or runny.  Works great when wiped on with a rag.

DD
"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want."

Old Italian Proverb

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
Shakes must do it just like me, cheap and effective. I glued a small funnel to my pvc tube and fill it right up into the funnel than I can see my lines, I also hold it over the tube until it about stops dripping. I put my stuff into an old mason jar and seal real tight. Stir it back up and you are ready to go. Ya can use paint thinner with any oil based poly, again fletch with Duco. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 07:48:00 PM »
Not "Cheap", I call it "Cost Awareness"!!  :thumbsup:    :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©