3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Let's talk serious about scrapes  (Read 947 times)

Offline BillJ

• Trad Bowhunter
Let's talk serious about scrapes
« on: September 06, 2007, 12:18:00 PM »
I've read many posts on this site extolling the virtue of... how shall I say this delicately, in case children are reading...

"going tinkle in scrapes"...    
 :rolleyes:    :saywhat:       :rolleyes:    :saywhat:    :rolleyes:    :saywhat:      

Now I can never tell whether those posting are being humorous or not.  So let's get serious.  

Is taking a leak in an active scrape a way to fire up a buck or not?  

As the advertisers often say, "SERIOUS REPLIES ONLY PLEASE!!"

:campfire:  

BillJ
"Whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved."

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Let's talk serious about scrapes
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 12:29:00 PM »
Works for bucks AND does....seriously.
Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »
I don't much buy into relieving my self in scrapes.  There are too many chemicals in the stuff we eat everyday that are not absorbed and are passed out our bodies.  As sensitive as an deers nose is don't you think it would be able to detect those chemicals? I think so. So I either take a pee bottle or dig a hole.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline BillJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »
That's 50% for and 50% against - not very conclusive...
"Whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved."

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »
A good way to know for sure is to find a real active scrape and whiz in it then see what happens....LOL
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »
I saw video footage of whitetails and their reaction to various OTC scents. The one test scrape with the most hits was freshened with human urine. I wish I could remember who put it out...one of the bigger scent names out there.
 I know a guy who shot a very nice seven pointer from twelve yards on the ground....brought him in by peeing in a scrape.
I have had times when a bottle was not available, and still saw deer. I typically use a bottle. I dunno why....
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
Tried it last season while walking to and from a stand that I hunted hard for a few weeks.  There was a scrape line on the way to my stand and I decided to try what others have been saying about this unorthodox medthod.  Well, I "freshned" the last scrape on the line about 4X's and noticed the size of the scrape increased when compared to the other 5 or 6 scrapes along the scrape line.  I concluded it must not decrease activity and may even increase activity but since I did not observe the buck/doe I can only use the scrape itself for reference.  I'll try it again this season.
Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 54@28
Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »
I've never tried it, but almost started a scrape last weekend.  Season opener here in Ky and I was hunting a ridge that sees a lot of traffic.  I checked all the old scrape spots but there was no activity.  Just out in front of my stand was a nice low hanging branch.  

I finally decided against it since the deer obviously weren't using scrapes yet.

I may give it a try though.

I saw a documentary on wolves once.  Scientist went to a very remote location to study wolves.  He found that the wolves were watching him closely.  When they would mark their territory, he would mark the opposite side of the tree.  The wolves started coming closer to his camp to mark the other side of his "spots".  

To me it's almost like acknowledging a deer's communication system.

Haven't tried it yet, but I might this year.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 01:40:00 PM »
I do it, seems to keep them around .
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »
I tried it as well last season and the next time I went hunting on that tract the scrape was alot bigger.  You should have seen my buddy when I told him I was gonna go in that scrape.  That next time out I showed it to him and all he could say was WOW!  It may or may not help but I guess you won't know unless you try.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 02:16:00 PM »
You guys eat asparagus before you wizz in these scraps?   :)  

Hey - In one of Roger Rothhaar’s books, he spoke about the reaction of a buck we once watch at one of his pee spots.

Ryan – Are you out there to fill us in on a little more information?

Offline PBNJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »
I shot a buck in a scrape a few years ago at about 9:00 . I peed in that scrape before climbing into my stand before dawn. I have also had numerous scrapes get"hit" after hosing in them!! Believe it or not. Paul

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 02:48:00 PM »
Now that you mention it, my dog can't stay away from my pee line. Might have to try that this hunting season. Most likely on a scrape that Ric O'Shay is hunting. Let him tell me what he thinks. Thats what bud's are for, don't you know. You guys just might be on to something.  :jumper:

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »
I hunt on the ground and normally walk down wind 5 or 6 feet, just enough I don't stand in it. It isn't uncommon at all to find deer using it as a scrape after a couple days.

last year I pee'd on a 4" tree behind an evergreen I was standing by. On the third day a buck tore the heck out of that tree.

The worse thing I've even seen was 2 years ago on a really cold morning. I had gone thru a whole thermos of coffee. I had just set back down on my folding stool and a 3 year old buck pops out of the thicket. He clearly was on his way somewhere and shortcut the trail taking him down wind just about 10 yards. I already shot my buck and we have a one buck rule. I watch thinking this is going to be interesting with that rank coffee smell still strong as ever. As the deer crossed the scent line he stopped dead in his tracks. He looked all around and then changed course which took him about 2 feet from the wet spot and right smack dad in front of me. He milled around and wonder off. I was really expecting him to bolt as much coffee as I drank. It did cause him to change directions and had I been depending on him to follow the trail for a shot it could have cost me a deer. As it played out this time it just would have made it easier.

I've only changed my pee habits by either going somewhere I want to actract them rather than behind me, or going someplace they they can't get to without passing my shooting lane first.

I've been watering the ground around me for 20 years now and if it ever cost me a deer i don't know about it but I can say for sure it has brought them closer.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »
I have relieved myself from a treestand several times only to arrow an adult deer within a few hours or less.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 05:16:00 PM »
I "salt" every scrape I come across whenever I'm in the woods. Urine is urine the deer don't know the difference all they know is someone else is using that spot and it keeps their curiosity up. They will make a mental note to check out the area until they can identify who else is around. Don't believe me? Go find a scrape that you have easy access to during your end of season scouting trips and pee in it every 3 days throughout the off season and you'll see that that scrape will grow to tremendous size as long as you do your part not to get busted near it. This is the only aspect of whitetail hunting I am willing to say I am certain of.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »
I've been doing it for over 30 years!!!!!   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Flatstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »
Simple & serious answer,,,It works for me!
"Good Luck" & "Shoot Straight!"

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
When I gotta pee I gotta pee.  Ain't got time to look for no stinkin' scrape.    :rolleyes: ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
I agree with Deadsmple.  Fred Trost did a segment on Michigan-out-of-Doors several years ago with a bottle of human urine, "lure", and a bottle of ammonia....the deer were quite keen to check out the human urine.....the "straight" ammonia seemed offensive...probably too much ammonia.  I don't worry about where I urinate while hunting (well, not in my hood, on my boots, on someone's head, etc.).
homebru

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©